“A Good Stay Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Hotel La Crosse

Save Saved
You added Radisson Hotel La Crosse to your Saves list
Radisson Hotel La Crosse
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Harborview Plaza, 200 South Second Street, La Crosse, WI 54601   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings of 15%
Ranked #1 of 16 hotels in La Crosse
Madison, Wisconsin
“A Good Stay Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here when I went to my class reunion. Grew up in La Crosse so enjoy the river right outside the hotel door along with a very pleasant park for walking. Heather, at the front desk, was very friendly and accommodating. She was able to change my room to a higher floor which I appreciated. Room was very comfortable and clean. I had a room facing the parking lot but have had rooms on the river side too. Realized a couple hours after I checked out that I forgot cheese that I purchased in the refrigerator. Went back and staff was able to retrieve it. Wasn't expecting to see it again but appreciated what they did. Would come back again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river are the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Enjoy2travel,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. Welcome back to your home town, and I hope your class reunion reconnected you with your former classmates. What a wonderful city to be from, I can definitely understand the connection.

I see you have contributed many reviews and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Until your next vist to La Crosse, safe travels and we will see you soon!

Best,

204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting with our Leadership Team - rooms were clean service was wonderful. What a great staff!!!! Terri and her team did a wonderful job of making our group feel at home - can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear lenorab49057,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. We all appreciate the nice comments and will look forward to you your next set of meetings. Until we see you again, safe travels and thanks for choosing Radisson for your meeting needs.

Best regards,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We enjoyed our stay and would definitely visit again. Clean, nicely appointed room with very comfortable beds and a beautiful view of the river. Conveniently located...we never even used our car once we arrived...great shops, restaurants and bars were within walking distance. Was our first time in La Crosse - absolutely loved downtown!

Room Tip: River View room - worth the extra money - at least in the summer time - beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear StephM7,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time here. I have just recently moved to this area and you are correct, there is much to see and do in this town. I am amazed at how many restaurants, pubs and bars are in this downtown area.

I will share your comments with our staff, they will be thrilled to see that they played a role in your overall impression of the hotel. Thank you again and if I can ever be of personal service, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

alsip
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

stayed here for one night, booked for 2, but left early...over-priced for sure...no coffee available to me, was told I could buy it, and no continental breakfast either...the manager did contact me and offer apologies for this, but you would think at $180 I could get a small coffee pot in my room, or not have to PAY for one in the hotel lobby...the room was nice, the staff was nice too, but I have better luck staying at Hampton Inn's...They know how to treat their guests...it was a beautiful area though, but that doesn't make up for the reat

Room Tip: no breakfast available, so bring something into your room for the store
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Sue S,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. I am so sorry that there was so much confusion over the availability of coffee, if you have time to call me and discuss this further I would appreciate it. We do have complimentary coffee in all of our rooms and in the lobby from 5 AM to 10 AM. From 5 AM to 6:30 we do offer complimentary grab and go breakfast in the lobby, then at 6:30 our restaurant opens with our breakfast, for charge, menu. I am sorry if it was unclear in the reservation process that we offered complimentary breakfast, I will review our process. It was nice to see that the staff was able to make a favorable impression on your overall stay.

I am hopeful that we can be of service to you for future visits and again, thank you for taking time out of your busy day to let us know how we performed.

Kindest regards,

Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Radisson Lacrosse has a wonderful location, right on the Mississippi River. It's an old hotel and it needs a lot of updating. Also, some of their staff needs lessons in customer service/hospitality. Front desk and maintenance staff were great. Restaurant in the hotel is still good.

Room Tip: Always ask for a river-view room but don't pay the extra for the 7th floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear SandyML262,

Good morning and thank you for your review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel. It was a pleasure to meet you and your husband last week when we chatted about your stay in La Crosse. I had the opportunity to share your concerns with some of our staff members as we look for ways to improve our operation and keep this hotel as one the best in La Crosse. I am sorry that we were not able to meet all of your expectations, it is embarrassing and humbling when we fall short of our service goals. It was nice to see that both the front desk and engineering staff were recognized for their solid performance, I have shared those comments as well.

I hope your granddaughter's final softball game was successful for her and that your trip back to Waukesha was uneventful. I will look forward to being of service to you for future visits.

Kindest regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Don't let the exterior of this hotel fool you, it's quite nice inside. The staff is friendly and the prices were fair. The location is great. Riverside gives a view of the river, the other side gives a view of the parking lot. The restaurant prices were fair but there were too few staff for how many people were in the bar area. A/c was very quiet.

Room Tip: If you don't like bright morning sun make sure you get on the west-facing riverview.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear TravellingPriest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay. I couldn't agree more with you on the great location, the scenery outside the hotel is quite spectacular! I am quite fortunate to work with such a talented group of individuals and they all work hard at providing the best customer service they can, thank you for recognizing their efforts. It is disappointing to see that we were not better prepared in our lounge area and that you were negatively affected by that, please accept my apologies.

If I can ever be of service, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Safe travels and best wishes.

Plesant Prairie, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is probably the best and easily one of the best Raddisons in the country which are often tired properties, poorly managed, ill-maintained and way overrated (the one on the west side of Madison is pure ugh!).

This is a renovated property which, unlike a great number of renovated hotels, does not really look like it. They did a very nice job of working with what they had. Not to say that everything is perfect but those things aren't enough to warrant a negative review.

First, although my room was small, it was well-furnished with adequate lighting and a refrigerator that actually worked. (No microwave, however.) Bed was comfortable and although there were a few dings in the furniture I won't ding the hotel this time because they worked hard to make sure everything else is in good order. Towels were good. The shower was way too funky to operate but fine once you got the hang of it. Adequate pressure but nothing great. Internet worked well. Flat panel TV. Nice closet. The proximity reader keys are a great concept but one key had to be remade three times to work. The fan/HVAC is a bit noisy is that stuff bothers you but more like a rumble than the annoying buzz-saw in many places. Wall thermostat controlled. Housekeeping gets an early start here so if you plan on sleeping after 7:45 a.m. you need to have the door hanger out and call the front desk after you get up. All in all this hotel passes my "clean and everything works as it should" test which despite its basic premise is a challenge for most hotels to meet. Although it passed the test that doesn't mean it gets an A+.

There is only one power outlet on the desk. None at the nightstands. In our meeting rooms there were narrow tables and decent chairs but NO power outlets for laptops. This is 2013. We use laptops, iPads, smartphones, etc. This is the one critical omission from the renovation. If you stay here, I recommend bringing an extension cord (or two or three) and/or a power strip. IF YOU ARE USING A MAC AT LEAST ONE EXTENSION CORD MAY BE REQUIRED BECAUSE OF THE CLEARANCE OF THE ONLY DESK LEVEL POWER OUTLET.

There are minor cleanup, paintup, fixup type things. I mentioned the room furniture nicks and dings and there are some on doorways, hallways, etc. Not enough to cause any worry or complaint but these are things that become larger issues if left unattended.

Overall, the property is very clean and well-maintained. The food was good. Our meeting catering was good. The property is attractive with a clean view of the Mississippi River if you are facing the right direction.

Now for the really good part: the staff. This is the hospitality industry but rarely do the people who run it "get it." Hospitality means more than routine politeness or fake or real ostentatiousness. Do you make someone feel welcome and glad they came here? The staff here does and does it without being one bit uppity or detached. They actually do seem genuinely friendly and eager to help. Easily among the best in the country. The folks at most other Carlson chain properties across the country should be sent here to see how it's done. This is a very welcoming place and it's done without faux décor, behavior or dress.

On a personal note, I became acutely ill shortly after checking in and didn't have time to wait for an ambulance. The desk clerk (Dick?) wrote out directions to Gundersen Lutheran Hospital ER. Very nice of him and much appreciated. (Note to management: This is something that you probably should have prepared in advance with copies available at the desk. I can't believe I'm the only guest who ever needed emergency or urgent medical attention.)

No, this is not a perfect place but it's pretty damn good, one of the best in the country and I would not hesitate staying here again or recommending it to others.

Room Tip: A view of the river is nice. I'd bring an extension cord or two or three or a power strip. You...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Pete B, General Manager at Radisson Hotel La Crosse, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear 6530bx4,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Radisson La Crosse Hotel, I am very pleased to see that we were able to make a positive impact on your trip. All of your comments are well received and I see that we still have work to do to be even better, it is the little things that matter to a seasoned traveler such as you. We are currently looking at options for more outlets and will continue to work on keeping our rooms fresh and in good repair.

I am proud to work with such a talented group of individuals at this hotel, we take pride in our service levels and it appreciated when those efforts are recognized. I see that you are a frequent contributor to TripAdvisor, thank you for your kind assessment of our hotel. Until we are of service to you again, safe travels!

Kind regards,

Pete Boese, general manager, 608-793-5000

Been to Radisson Hotel La Crosse? Share your experiences!