“unassuming and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in La Crosse
Chicago
“unassuming and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had never come across this particular chain before seeing the La Crosse location reviewed in Trip Advisor. I'm glad we chose it. It was inexpensive and very satisfactory. When we checked in one evening, it was cold and rainy, and the clerk told us that they would be serving complementary hot soup in about an hour. I couldn't believe it, but they did. And breakfast the next day was fine, lots of choices. The room wasn't luxurious but it was clean and solid, and the whole hotel was quite quiet. Wonderful place to stay, quite close to I-90. When we checked out, I asked the clerk about how to get somewhere, and she produced a xeroxed map of the area and wrote down some directions for us. So, great service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Scotts Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

After a long day on the road and a short visit to Pearl Street Brewery, I was ready for a room for the night. I was given a nice, comfortable clean room for $71.46 taxes inc. After getting settled in, I walked next door to the adjacent restaurant for a nice (and inexpensive as it turned out) dinner.I had a good nights sleep and would happily stay here again. Nice well-run motel with friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
RSNorth, General Manager at Settle Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you decided to stay at the Settle Inn and that your room was clean and comfortable. We appreciate these comments and they will be passed along to the staff. Word of mouth is our best form of advertisement, thank you. We hope to see you if you are in the area again.
Rapid City, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We own a little motel in SD and are very particular about our rooms, so I inspect our rooms as we travel. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a clean, comfortable room on our trip. It was the only motel we rated this high out of the 7 motels we stayed at. The bathroom was shiny, no watermarks or hair in tub. The linens were clean. The beds were comfortable and no food items or dirt were found along the floor around the beds. The frig and microwave were clean, even the back of the frig was dust free. We enjoyed our stay and let the staff know we were pleased, by leaving a tip and letting the front desk know how happy we were with the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RSNorth, General Manager at Settle Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is nice to get this kind of review from a colleague in the hotel industry. We strive to make everyone's stay as nice as yours, from the time you check in with the guest service representatives, to the cleanliness of the rooms, as well as the check out process. We hope to see you if you are in the area again.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a large group stay for a one night motorcycle trip we were taking on the Great River Rd. We had booked 10 rooms in our block and brought a large truck with two grills and food to cook out. The staff was so accommodating! They let us set up our cook out on the patio right off of the pool. They provided tables and chairs and helped us with anything we needed. After a long day of riding the hot tub was just what we needed. It's quite large and fits about 10 people. The pool was also quite big and the water warm. We had a king room that was big with a refrigerator and microwave as well as an recliner in the corner. There was no closet but they had a wardrobe which was no big deal. The room and bathroom were very clean and I thought the bed and pillows were comfortable. I like my pillows firm so I had a good night's sleep. We didn't go but there is a restaurant about 50 feet from the hotel which is convenient. The breakfast was very good and there was a lot to choose from. Our group enjoyed their stay!

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have problems getting up stairs ask for a room on the first floor,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
RSNorth, Manager at Settle Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
As always, we are appreciative of the time you took to write a review about your stay at the hotel. We are so glad that the group had an enjoyable night with us and hope to see you again next year. Thank you for making comment about the restaurant next door which is an asset for the hotel. The lack of an elevator is a definite problem for some guests so we offer to carry luggage if needed.
Depere, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel while I was in town for a conference. The location was decent, a short drive from downtown. The pillows were stuffed with chunks of foam and were very uncomfortable. Room was fairly clean. I forgot my shampoo, conditioner and razor in the room and was told the next day when I called that "no items had been recovered" from my room.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. All comments are taken seriously and are used to improve the quality of our service to our guests. As for the items you left, I am very sorry to hear that they were not turned in to lost and found as is expected by anything found when a guest checks out. The housekeeper that was responsible for cleaning your room was reminded of the importance of turning in all items that are left behind. Again, thank you for the review.
Menasha, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The hotel was fairly clean, but not great. There was old dirt in the corners of the bathroom and on the shower curtain. The mattress was okay, the pillows very lumpy and uncomfortable. The complimentary breakfast was decent. The reason that we won't be coming back is because both of the staff working at the front desk were not pleasant to deal with, although they were efficient enough at checking us in and out of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RSNorth, Front Office Manager at Settle Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Toni, I am so sorry that your stay was not any better than Okay. It is not our policy when cleaning the rooms to have old dirt left in the corners and this has already been addressed. The front desk staff is the first point of contact and most of the time the last point of contact so it is very important that the staff is pleasant and I am sorry that this didn't happen. Rest assured this will be addressed as well. We, here at the Settle Inn, would hope that you give us a second chance and stay here again.
Sincerely, Peggy
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

If you value your body and your belongings DO NOT STAY HERE. I checked in on a business trip at 11pm on 9/25/13 and woke up the next morning completely covered in bed bug bites; 60+ on one arm alone, bites going up my neck, chest, and my face and feet saturated in red spots. After throwing away anything that touched the floor or bed, I left room 151 to speak with the manager who in response told me I was a liar and threw forgotten change in my direction insinuating I left it as "an insult to housekeeping". But, I was given an immediate refund... kind of seemed like they had been through this dance before because they had pest control called by the time I got to the front desk.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RSNorth, Manager at Settle Inn La Crosse, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
As the general manager of the Settle Inn I am responding to this review to absolutely call this a bogus attack. There were no signs of bed bugs or any other insects when pest control came to inspect, which is standard procedure for this hotel, not because we are guilty but because we take this as a serious situation that needs attention immediately. The report was sent to you and is available to any person who would want to see it. Since we have nothing to hide from the public and definitely not our guests, I am hoping that this review is not taken seriously even though the pictures would show that there was definitely a bug attack from somewhere.

Been to Settle Inn La Crosse? Share your experiences!