“Great Service for a Great Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson La Crosse

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson La Crosse to your Saves list
Howard Johnson La Crosse
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2150 Rose Street, La Crosse, WI 54603 (Formerly Exel Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in La Crosse
“Great Service for a Great Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I've been staying at the Howard Johnson's every other week since March and the staff is amazing. They remember who I am, remember what rooms work best for me and my family, and even have returned personal amenities forgotten at the previous visit. The hotel is older in decor and furnishings, but we have never had any issues with cleanliness or function. I recommend this hotel in terms of price, additional features like free wifi and breakfast, and the staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thanks for taking time to share and thank you for the recognition you gave to the staff. I will share your review with them. I know they realize we are behind in updating the property but I think that motivates them to do their best in service and cleanliness to make up for it. They will be pleased to read your review. Thanks again,

Rodney A. Piotraschke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
La Crosse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

From Del, in Fond du Lac, WI
Room was very clean--Bed in 218 is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in, even better than at home--Breakfast before 6am, great--Fit our needs
very well--Location real good, easy access from I 90, 53 & 35-- Downtown easy--Excellent Family Restaurant next door !!--Friendly staff--Thank You !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
It was great to read your review this morning Delmar! Thanks for writing and I'll share it with the staff today. Hope to see you again.

wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Was trying to save a little money and earn reward points so we booked here. Check in was fine. Room 212 had a funky smell. Later found that the window ledge is warped and wall paper peeling off wall by window because it got wet. Air conditioner was there and blowing funky smell probably from mold. First night had to ask for drug because there wasn't one in the room like booking said. Person had one there within 10 minutes. Bathroom was clean but stuff on bedroom ceiling I don't want to think about. Every time we flushed the toilet the first night it squealed loudly as it refilled. Windows open but covered in dust/dirt and cob webs. Parking spots are at a premium if you go out until later. Not horrible experience but probably not coming back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I don't understand your statement, "First night had to ask for drug because there wasn't one in the room." I'm glad you didn't find drugs in the room ha ha. Anyway, I hope you found your room clean and the staff friendly. I will have maintenance look at the air conditioner. Thanks for letting me know about it. Anytime you find a motel room unsatisfactory, please do not hesitate to let the front desk know so they can find you a new room. Hope to see you again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We arrived after a 12 hour drive, and went to get a burger and beer at my son's new bar/grill. We proceeded to eat, drink and be merry, and returned to our room after 1 a.m. We were tired and so ready for sleep until I pulled back the bed covers and observed one rather large, live ant. Further investigation revealed an entire army parading around the air conditioner/ window area. The night employee was hardly perturbed, and mentioned that there had been a problem with that room before and he was surprised it persisted. We did get a new room, bug free, although the ewwwness of the bugs ruined a good night sleep. The next morning, at 9:10, the breakfast which was supposed to be over at 9:30, was in need of replenishing. The day employee was a little snippy when I requested such, however, proceeded to get it done. Later I explained to her that the buggy room had already ruined my opinion of this property, and withe the breakfast thing, now this is two strikes. We had a conversation which culminated in her apologizing, smiles and a refund for a night's stay. In the end, A day after checking out, we were one phone charger short. A drop in at the hotel turned up the charger, secured in a labeled plastic bag. As I sad, a mixed bag, however, resolved pleasantly and with recovery of my property.
Shift happens when you travel, and if issues can be resolved satisfactorily for both business and customer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Wow! It is great news reading how both the night auditor and the morning front desk manager helped turn bad issues into a pleasing resolve. Believe me they get a lot of practice. When working in the hospitality business they get pulled in every direction. Delivering extra pillows, having to memorize the entire TV Channel Guide so to be ready when a guest wants their favorite program - Ha ha. But the best part is they do not complain as they are in this line of work because they enjoy people. The fact that I have a staff that enjoys working with people is the ingredient of bringing resolve when issues arrive. Thanks for sharing,

Crestview, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I decided to take a little road trip and after reading previous posts on tripadvisor we decided to give this hotel a try...the wyndham rewards program worked well for us here in that the points needed per night were extremely favorable...Coffee was always available at the front desk area and our room was very quiet..The breakfast was good and to be honest we felt like we were being treated as royalty...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
I was really pleased to read how well the staff treated you! Thanks for sharing and I'll share your review with the rest of the staff.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

So, we booked with Hotwire and got the room for about $50. It was rated well by previous bookings and all we needed was a clean bed and hot shower. It was fairly clean, but it was a bit rough. The furnishings are dated and the location is between a U-Haul lot and Pizza Hut on the outskirts of town. Would I stay here again, probably not. But I did prove that I can still do a 2 star hotel when necessary. No elevator, so consider a bottom floor room (but it is likely to be noisy as the building is dated). I think breakfast was included, but my husband said it wasn't worthwhile. Lastly, I felt a bit anxious about leaving a nice car in the lot...not sure if it was justified...but all ended well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
H0J0GM, General Manager at Howard Johnson La Crosse, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for sharing and I was pleased to read that you found your room clean. La Crosse is an exciting city in the summer and being that we are only a couple minutes from downtown events we do fill up fast. It is intimidating for guests that are traveling through when they have to search for a parking spot. But all-in-all, the four years I've worked at this motel, I've only had to deal with a couple parking lot incidents. I'm glad your stay went well.

Rodney A. Piotraschke

Been to Howard Johnson La Crosse? Share your experiences!