“The best of La Crosse” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“The best of La Crosse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Freighthouse is simply the best in the area. Historic building, excellent food, outstanding service. It can't be beat!

Visited July 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great food for 34 years at this historic downtown location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was there when it opened in 1978. This past week we drove 2.5 hours to celebrate my birthday at the Freighthouse. The food has always been great, the service is excellent, and the best of all - The Freighthouse is still the same after 34 years - a comforting consistentcy in a world that seems to reward a trail of constant change. I loved the atmosphere the first time I visited during my undergrad and it's charming mix of atmosphere, great food, friendly wait staff, and casual location overlooking Riverside Park and the confluence of the Mississippi, The Black River, and the LaCrosse River is what keeps me coming back time and time again. Try the Freighthouse and experience one of LaCrosse's stalwart restaurants - casual dining, fine dining - what ever you want it to be - be charmed in one of LaCrosse's historic locations - Freighthouse - enjoy!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
eastman, wi
“Awesome Steak!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We love the salad bar and steak!! It's one of the best places we've ever been for steak. The service is top knotch and the food is outstanding. I got the lighter far and my husband got the engineer's cut and we had so much leftover food!! Awesome place, great times for sure!!

Visited December 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Great supper club!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This restaurant is like the classic supper clubs we love in Wisconsin. The food was delicious. I had the tenderloin kabob and my husband had the halibut special. We both had the salad special rather than the salad bar, which we enjoyed. For dessert we had a Brandy Alexander which was a bit of a disappointment in that it was mainly mounds of ice cream with barely a taste of brandy. Still tasty, but more like plain ice cream rather than a classic Brandy Alexander. The building is historic with wood beams and old train memorabilia. It's very dark so don't forget your reading glasses if needed for the menu! The food and drinks were reasonably priced.

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Restaurant in La Crosse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Quaint restaurant and a great bar area. The food was terrific for this somewhat tiny town. Dined with three other couples and we all enjoyed our meal. It is a little "pricer," than the other restaurants in town. Opt for the salad of the day. I enjoyed a delicious fresh strawberry and tangerine salad with house dressing. The offer specials and they are usually all good.

• Visited July 2012