“Love th American Club but” 5 of 5 stars

419 Highland Drive, Kohler, WI 53044   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Kohler
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love th American Club but”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

I have stayed there at least four times and all was wonderful! However, considering the close connection with the Kohler name and factory, I wonder why they do not have grab bars in their baths/showers. The fixtures are of excellent quality; but, getting in and out of the tub/shower is tough for short people or seniors like myself.

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2005

We visited the resort during a blizzard in January. The drive was tough but it was a winter wonderland when we go there. We are booking our next trip already. A real treat ....

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

My wife and I escaped city life for a couple days and stayed here in January. It turned out to be exactly what we needed. The staff is outstandingly friendly and helpful, they really made us feel welcome. What we really loved about Kohler is that it seemed like everyone - staff, guests, and residents alike - would at the very least extend a friendly hello. Lots of little things, like the turndown service, were a nice touch. One night after dinner we needed some ice, and upon grabbing the bucket with the intention of walking down the hall and filling it, I came to realize that it was already filled!
The food was also excellent. We ate the first night at Cucina and just loved it. Strangely enough, we spent twice as much the next night at the Wisconsin Room and still liked Cucina better. Not that the food was bad, the service is what ruined it. Our waitress was extremely slow, I think she forgot about us half the time. We weren't in any hurry or else I would have complained, but we probably sat there for a half hour after we finished our entrees before another waitress finally came over and grabbed our plates. And they weren't even that busy! I thought that was nice of her to cover for our horrible waitress, but then she just threw the dessert menus in front of us without saying a word and stormed off. Then we had to wait another 15 minutes for our other waitress to come back just to tell her that we were too full for dessert. We just wanted to finally get the bill and get out of there, but upon looking at it I realized that they overcharged us on our entrees and one of our drinks. We eventually got it corrected, but the whole experience kind of put a damper on an otherwise perfect two days.
I would have given a perfect rating if it weren't for this, but maybe they were just having an off night. We are planning on going back again sometime because everything else was fantastic, we will just avoid the Wisconsin Room!

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

I took my wife there as a surprise and she loved it. The rooms are excellent/clean. I booked a 50 min massage for her as well and she was in heaven. Everyone was so nice and I felt welcome there. The room service is pricey so be prepared. The only other negative thing is that it is hard to find normal food fare. Either the restaurants have odd menu items or you go to Quizno's. Would definately go there again!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a visit to Kohler. The American Club appears in most respects to be a top-class, refined resort. In reality, the rooms need much renovation. Many rooms have very old whirlpool baths. With a reputation like that of Kohler, you would expect that the bath and fixtures would be top notch. And, I'm sure that they were during their time, but a resort such as this needs to update much more often. I have to agree with most, the service levels are astounding. I have vacationed at resorts around the world and have never dealt with a reservations staff that was as professional and asute as The American Club's agents seem to be. The golf courses are amazing, of course. But the real draw for us was the Kohler Waters Spa. The spa is a wonderful retreat during the week, with mens and womens private respite areas, but stay away on the weekends, when finding a poolside chair is almost impossible after 11:00am.

One thing, do not bother with the Wisconsin Room. This is the only area in which the service (nor the food, for that matter) was not up to par. When speaking with the manager regarding this, we were treated almost rudely. I would never dine there again.

Try the Immigrant Room, it is to die for. Service from the bussers up to the Maitre'D was impeccable.

Give it a whirl, it depends upon how picky you are.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2004

I took a three-day trip to Kohler last year with one of my friends, and I have to say it was one of the best vacation experiences I've ever had. We booked the Girlfriends Getaway Spa package, which gets you a room in the Carriage House (directly above the Spa) and a discount on spa services.

When we arrived, we checked in directly in the Carriage House. A very gracious woman checked us in from a small library desk in the entry lounge - we were surprised, at 5:00 at night, to find about 15 men and women sitting around the lounge sampling the complementary hor d'ouvres and wine, especially since many of them were in their bathrobes and slippers! It was a little disconcerting, but it really was very relaxed.

For an additional fee, we had upgraded our standard double room to a Deluxe room - helpful if you go in the Winter and think you'll spend any time in your room. The decorating style is true Wisconsin - not the luxurious linens you might expect from other five-diamond resorts, but nothing to sniff at. The room had a couch, desk, and minibar, and an extra sink in the room (helpful if there are two of you getting ready at any one time).

We ate dinner the first night at the Horse and Plow, which is the bar/restaraunt that is the most low-end at Kohler. It's on the right wing of the American Club hotel (about 100 paces from the front door of the carriage house) and had decent food and wine. We were more interested in catching a bowl game, and the restaraunt had plenty of big screen TVs to do so.

The spa services we tried were varied - pedicures, bath treatments, and facials, and they were all excellent. The spa also contains large common areas for hanging out - but maybe not as much space as you might think from the website. The chaise lounges by the common pool fill up early - and they're so comfy for reading, but you should be there first thing on a weekend if you want to snag one. We were told that the spa is less crowded during the week if you want to try that. There's also lounging space in the women's and men's portions of the spa - four chaises in the women's lounge, not sure about the men's. The whirlpool, sauna, steamroom and cold plunge pool were all fantastic, even if it's a bit crowded.

We were training for a half marathon when we visited, and the desk staff was very helpful in providing us with a map we could use to run through Kohler. We managed to do 10 miles touring around the town, and there's a fantastic portion of that in the woods that we'd recommend. If you plan it right, you can stop off at the fitness center (which is offsite) to refill on water and gatorade :)

We also had dinner one night in the Wisconsin Room - it was written up as an amazing seafood buffet, and indeed, the selection was enormous. The service was impeccable, and the food was outstanding. We also liked that we could dress simply (no dresses for us girls) and it was not frowned upon.

Finally, I'd have to say that the service was unbelievable. Everywhere we went throughout the resort, we were greeted with smiles and "hello, how are you?"s that were polite but genuine. We have vacationed at the Phoenician, and at the Ritz in Laguna Nigel, but I can't say that we've ever felt more comfortable at a first-class hotel. Maybe it's the midwestern people, or the origins of the town - but either way, it's a great place and I'd go back again and again. My only regret is that we haven't been able to make it there during golf season!!!

• Stayed January 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2004

The American Club is fantastic! Have been there about three or four times. We never golfed there, never hit the spa, never did much of anything but soak in the wonderful, solid atmosphere and simply take it easy. The dessert house, Horse and Plow and the Wisconsin room are all fantastic. If you're looking for a great, quiet "sanctuary" place to just go and take it easy, the American Club delivers. Top notch.

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!