“Babymoon Bliss” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Babymoon Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I came here to do a little getaway before our baby is here and we had such a great time! This is the place to come for total relaxation, great service and food.

Service: Wow! definitely deserving of it's five star status. Besides one issue I have with the spa (read below: buyer beware), these people really know how to communicate because from the moment we arrived we were greeted by our last names and everyone knew we were there for a little babymooning. You are always greeted with a smile, and sincereity. There is an on-demand shuttle service that takes you anywhere, which was great becuase it was raining for part of our trip. Also a nicety their turn down service, always great to come back to a room freshly made with chocolates waiting on your pillow! They gave us complimentary sparkling juice, desserts at the immigrant room and a cute rubber duckie at the spa. The extras were definitely a nice touch, but really I appreciated the culture they created by knowing how to go the extra distance to create a very personalized experience for every guest. My hats off to the training and management for upholding this value.

Room: We stayed at the carriage house, originally we booked a standard room, but upon arrival they had upgraded us to a deluxe room (buckboard #573 on the 3rd floor) which was fantastic! The room was spacious, good lighting, also had a sunroof you could open or close, and of course the Kohler bathroom fixtures were awesome. Ours had a bubble massage tub that came with an operating instruction sheet and what a treat!

Amenities: The carriage house offers complimentary access to the spa, and also continental breakfast (assortment of cereals, milk, juices, bagels, toast, hardboiled eggs, fruits, yogurt, lox, pastries), afternoon tea (assortment of beveragegs, fruits, mini pastries, biscotti and more), appetizers before dinner (cheese curds, breads, olives, fruits, assortment of beverages). Also there is complimentary access to a small fitness center. The spa itself offers multiple stations of fruit infused cold water, teas of all sorts, nuts, apples. Robes and sandals are provided and in fact most people walk around in their robe outside of the spa all day whether it be to breakfast or afternoon tea, it's all about the relaxation here! The women's spa locker room had all the toiletries you'd need including really nice hair products by aveda.

Restaurants:
We went to Blackwolf run for lunch our first day and it was so good, we went back the second day! My fave was the chicken, bacon and swiss sandwich and their sausage corn chowder soup.
Wisconsin room: great service, overall good food no complaints. cauliflower puree soup was so good, and the fllet was excellent!
Immigrant room: food was good overall, our server was still in training and couldn't recall how somethings were prepared, but I give her credit for trying as she had mentioned to us she had never experienced fine dining before working there, everyone's gotta learning curve right?

Few stuff that could be better:
More lounge chairs, I could see how this can become a problem during really busy times.
Some of the lounge chairs especially on the rooftop looked dirty and soiled
toilet paper was kinda cheap

BUYER BEWARE: So at the time I went, the spa was offering something called Spring Sparkle promotion where you get $50 off massages and 20% off mani and pedi. I got a pedi one day and when they gave me the bill I expected the discount to have been applied since this is a promotion they have advertised on their website, but it was not and when I mentioned it to the employee she knew exactly what I was referring to and gave me the discount and all was fine. The next day I had a massage and when they gave me the bill the discount had not been applied again, and when I pointed this out again she knew exactly what I was talking about and applied the discount. Something was very fishy about this, it's like the employees were told not to give out the discount unless it was mentioned, but why do this if it's advertised on their website??? It gave me an unsettling feeling of distrust. But I have decided to not let this one thing dictate my overall experience which was great on the whole!

It is a fantastic place and I would return again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Traveljane012,

Thank you for this very detailed review of your babymoon at our resort. We are very happy you were able to enjoy so many amenities and restaurants. Our team prides themselves on providing personalized and memorable service. It is a delight to read how they made that come alive during your visit.

Please accept my apology for the Spring Sparkle billing promotion. We are pleased to receive this feedback for an opportunity to improve.

Wishing you a safe and healthy birth of your new child!

ChristineL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Willow Springs, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I recently stayed at the Carriage House at The American Club. If you're going to make the trip, stay at the Carriage House. You have free access to the spa for the duration of your stay, and if you have ever been to Kohler, you know that there is very little to do when it's cold out so the spa was a great way to spend our time while visiting. The rooms are also much brighter and the bathrooms are substantially larger than the main hotel. Overall the staff, food (Horse and Plow & Wisconsin Room), and spa were great! I am not sure if we would go back during this time of year... Summer would probably be a better choice as there may be more to do.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear McI 1229,

We are pleased you enjoyed your cold weather stay at the Carriage House and Kohler Water spa. You are correct, based on the time of year we do have different activities to participate in. This winter was very chilly, however many guests ventured out to snow shoe, cross country ski or ice skate. In summer, of course golf is our primary activity.

We hope you return in the summer to golf, ride a bicycle or enjoy our courtyards and botanical gardens.

Best wishes,
Germantown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We reserved a table for 14 for a breakfast in the Wisconsin Room. They have several tables for the Sunday brunch, including a seafood table (smoked salmon, shrimp, oysters on the half shell); another with prime rib and Crème Brule French toast (fantastic!); omelets made to order, as well as scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage; fresh fruit and a delightful dessert table.

A gorgeous space with fantastic service that includes a steady pour of mimosas, orange juice and/or coffee. We were there for my grandmother's 90th birthday and the staff were even kind enough to write a personal card to my grandma. Recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear ecotait,

Happy birthday to your Grandmother. What a treasure your family is bestowed with, to have a Grandmother celebrating her 90th birthday. The Wisconsin Room was the home of the original dining room when immigrant workers occupied the American Club in the early to mid 1900’s.

Our team enjoys making special occasions memorable. Thank you for sharing how the team made their passion come alive during your visit.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My group consisted of two couples, each with their own deluxe guest room. We visited Kohler for two days and one night. Everyone agreed the American Club was the nicest hotel they have ever stayed at. The bath tubs and showers in the rooms were, not unsurprisingly, at the top of everyone's list of favorite American club details. Everyone also had high praise for the overall food experience in Kohler, though some meals were enjoyed more than others. We also took full advantage of the extremely convenient shuttle service. Our favorite excursion was to the Kohler Design Center, which provided dozens of photo opportunities. In general we were swept away by the pampering and luxury. When there was a problem it was insignificant: the toilet paper in the rooms was sub-par, the housekeeping staff came to do my turndown service two hours earlier than I had scheduled, and the Winnebago Room's billiard table had only one badly damaged cue ball and no chalk for cue sticks. When we chose to inform the staff of a problem they were quick and courteous in fixing it, even when the problem was my own fault. I did not realize the bath tub drain was open when I started a bath and poured a bottle of their bath gel and a jar of my home-made jasmine bath salts into the tub. Twenty minutes later there were a lot of bubbles at the bottom of the tub, but no bath salts and no water. The house keeping staff came up and showed me how to use the tub, and gave me two small jars of their own bath salts to replace the ones that went down the drain. My partner and I had one negative experience with a staff member. When another staff member overheard us complain he tried to get more information, but I shushed everyone (it wasn't worth getting anyone in trouble). It revolved around a misunderstanding about the photo policies of the hotel, which I had checked before the vacation because I am a photographer. After two days of taking photos, we had an interaction with an employee that contradicted what we had been told before the vacation. But it was nothing more than uncomfortable. We arrived on a Thursday and departed on a Friday, and we enjoyed the quietness of the hotel on Thursday. On Friday things started to get a little too crowded. I wish I had written down names of the staff members that helped us so I could send notes to their managers complimenting them. The customer service at this hotel is exceptional, from booking through check-out. Even the shop owners on Wood Lake extend the hospitality. The amenities make this a truly special experience. I filled a gift bag with freebies like a box of chocolates at turn down and a free box of my favorite incense at Intentions Books and Gifts. I will definitely return if possible. We only had 36 hours and surprisingly it was not enough to explore all there is to do in the cozy little town of Kohler.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alexis R,

What a treat to read how you enjoyed many of our resort’s amenities in your short 36-hour visit. Our team is fully empowered to handle any guest opportunity. It is rewarding to see you were provided bath salts when the drain didn’t close as expected. Thank you for sharing the details we can correct, the cue ball and chalk will be immediately replaced in our Winnebago Room.

Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

1. Stayed in the Carriage House and thus had free access to the spa, afternoon tea/snacks, evening hors d'oeuvres/cocktails, and breakfast which was great with fresh fruit.
2. All staff we encountered were extremely friendly and accommodating!
3. The room we stayed in was nice and updated.
4. The Sports Core area (take free-shuttle to get there) was very large and had a great workout facility along with indoor tennis courts and a pool.
5. We enjoyed visiting the shops and Woodlake Food Market with its wonderful organic fruits and vegetables. Ate dinner at Cucina which was overall very good. Excellent pizzas!
6. Enjoyed the spa, although it's lacking in seating. The upper 4th level had very minimal lighting, which is a shame because this would be a great area to enjoy in the evening until the 9pm close time.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room with 2 Queen beds and a pull out sleeper with 5 adults. We were very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear KenzieLovesTravel,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read how you took advantage of many of our resort amenities during your stay. Our team at Cucina has been working hard on their pizza selections and will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed this menu. As warm weather approaches, many items at Woodlake Market are sourced through local farmers making them both organic and fresh.

Thank you for your suggestion on the 4th floor of the spa.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I like going to Kohler to visit the spa and...that's it. I always stay @ the American Club because I always forget to book into the Carriage House. It's nice & the service is great but there are tons of amenities (eg concerts, movie nights) that I never use. Might be best for families!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Christine L, General Manager at The American Club, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear KG702,

We are pleased to learn that you enjoy visiting our Kohler Waters Spa. You are correct, we do have many amenities and activities for our guests to enjoy. For a solo traveler, the spa is a great place to relax, unwind and find personal time to rejuvenate. We hope that you will enjoy the spa again in the future.

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

For a 5 star hotel, they did not meet my expectations. While the staff was very pleasant, you can tell there is some mismanagement. I called their reservation line to book my stay. I did not realize that I would be on hold for almost 20 minutes. I had to call back before I was able to finally get through. The excuse for this was that reservations had closed for the evening and I was now speaking with the after hours reservations, which by the way was only one person. Why does a 5 star property have their reservations department "close" at 9pm? Why do you only have one person manning the phones after this time? If hold times are this long then I think that is justification enough to have your reservations department open later. I have never had this issue before, I was stunned but I gave the property the benefit of the doubt after hearing so many great things. I decided to stay at the Carriage House, since I wanted to spend my time in the spa. Checkin was fine, staff was very pleasant, very thorough. There were 2 major issues I noticed while I was there. It became very clear that they are suffering from staff issues. I would question returning during their high season months if they are so short staffed now. I also noticed that the housekeeping staff would walk through the lobby with their cellphones out. I saw the girl who was cleaning rooms down my hall walk right past me on her cellphone as she was leaving the building. This doesn't seem very professional for a 5 star property. Perhaps they are so short staffed that these are the only people they can get to stay employed with them. I question Kohler management if they allow this behavior. For the most part, the staff I encountered across the resort was very pleasant to interact with. I was a little disappointed in the restuarant options during my stay, I had to stay during the week which is when everything is closed this time of year. If you are wanting to overpay for a mediocre experience then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: For best dining options, book over the weekend.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear TreatmyselftoSPA,

Please accept my sincere apology for your experience at The American Club. I am very disappointed to read that you encountered team members on their personal cell phones. We have a standard that this is not acceptable. Clearly, we need to work harder to ensure this is adhered to by all team members.

Thank you for speaking with our manager on duty during your stay. We do appreciate the feedback you provided us both in person as well as this post. We believe feedback is a gift and please trust all has been taken to heart.

Christine L

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!