“Golfer's and Golf Widows Dream” 4 of 5 stars

419 Highland Drive, Kohler, WI 53044   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kohler
Tallahassee, Florida
“Golfer's and Golf Widows Dream”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Our first time visit to this resort will not be our last visit. The America Club is very unique. The golf courses were fantastic, especially Whistling Straight. Lunch at that club house was a real treat too. The best adjective for all the courses there - challenging. The village at the resort was charming and worthy of the walk. Nice shops and the fascinating Kohler museum were great. I did not have time for the spa but the people I talked with who had used its services said it was great. The Friday night seafood buffet in the main dining room was excellent, fresh, interesting and very well prepared. The service was of high standard.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Pardeeville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place that we could return every year - this is not the place. Nice, but needs updating (especially the little details of the room - wallpaper and flooring). We could hear the traffic from the street through the windows and a clock tower rang starting at 6am until 10pm - which made sleeping in a bit difficult. Most staff were very friendly however we did experience a few that were not as outgoing or knowledgeable which did hurt our overall view. The Horse and Plow is a fun low-key atomosphere with great deep-fried cheese-curds. The Wisconsin Room had a great breakfast and brunch. However our dinner at The Black Wolf golf restaurant was below average. My husband had the lobster ravioli that was very scarce of the lobster and I had a stuffed-chicken breast that was very salty and reminded me a boxed-frozen type from the grocery store. We also visited the Craverie for chocolate and coffee - again a bit disappointing. The petit-fours all tasted the same and were very dry. We did enjoy going through the Kohler Design Center for future bathroom renovation ideas.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

No question this place has some of the best service I have encountered in this country, and the property is nothing to complain about either. From the moment of check in, when the staff graciously offered a glass of champagne, to the fact that the valet brought my phone (which I had forgotten in the car) to my room, to the gift shop employee who gave me a free bottle of water when I bought Advil, until my departure, when another staff person allowed me to check out without waiting through a very long line, every single one of the dozen or so staff I interacted with was absolutely perfect.

I also loved the room I had, the spa, and the property in general, which was originally a workers' dormitory for immigrant employees of the Kohler factory across the street. The building does not look all that impressive from the exterior, but the interior details are sumptuous and comfortable. The place is labyrinthine, and you can run into a pleasant surprise around every corner. I especially liked the library with the deep leather sofas and the central fireplace, and the sun room with gorgeous stained imported whole from England, where morning coffee and pastries are served (especially don't miss this spot on a sunny morning). There are numerous dining rooms, from the very formal immigrant, to a wine bar, and a sports pub. Not all of them are open every night in the winter, but I had a great meal (and, no surprise, great service) in the Wisconsin Room restaurant. Even though I was the only single person left in the restaurant rather late-ish on a Sunday in February, the server was so gracious I did not feel the least rushed to finish up so all the staff could go -- they gave me the impression that they'd stay til morning if that was how long I felt like sitting around.

My room was appointed with all the luxuries and comforts you would expect from a hotel of this caliber: heavenly bed, comfy robe and slippers, attentive turndown service, plus additional touches like live plants. The best part, though, is clearly the bathroom, with those insanely great full body showers, and bath products from the adjacent Kohler Waters spa. No matter how clean you feel when you arrive, you'll no doubt find multiple occasions you need to clean up in that bathroom while you're there.

The spa next door was as much of a great experience as the hotel. I got a berries & bliss pedicure, and the person did a wonderful job. Whatever service you get, be sure to leave yourself some extra time to laze about in or next to the waterfall pool, sipping free beverages and reading magazines, or just relaxing. Also be aware that a 20% gratuity is automatically added upfront to whatever service you get (I know none of you would want to leave less, in any event, so no big deal, right?).

You've no doubt concluded that I had a wonderful experience at Kohler.True. I will add a few final details to finish off this review. On Sunday nights in January and February, the hotel runs an absurdly great deal for people who live close enough to take advantage of such a short stay. Your room is $100 a night. This was a great way for me to check this place out, without committing the usual high cost for a stay there (at least twice, and up to four times, my rate), and learn that I'd be happy to return and spend longer, knowing the regular price is worth it.

Finally, be aware that the gym you have access to is not on the American Club property: it is a mile or two away, in a shopping complex at the entrance to town. A walkable distance, and there is a free shuttle from the hotel, but a consideration when you are planning your time during your stay. Also, the spa is in a different building across the street, as are more guest rooms, in the Carriage House. I don't know if the hotel reserves the right to put guests either in the historical main building or the newer Carriage House. That may be a separate booking, but in case not, avoid surprises by specifically requesting the main building. Unless, of course, you want to be so close to the spa that you never even need to change from your spa robe during your stay, in which case maybe the Carriage House is just the place for you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed over a weekend (Fri-Sun) as a last-hurrah getaway before the birth of our daughter in March. There's little to add that other reviewers have not already mentioned, but we had an incredible time. We stayed on the 'Discover Kohler' package that includes 2 breakfasts in the Wisconsin Room, as well as 1 dinner at the restaurant of your choosing (we ate at Cucina the first night and the Wisconsin Room the second night.) Both meals were excellent. The Sunday brunch was perhaps the best of all, and is highly recommended.

We also added a maternity massage at the Spa and she enjoyed it immensely. We did notice a number of other pregnant couples staying as well.

The hotel was apparently fully booked on Saturday night, but we definitely not notice it at all.
The hallways are extremely quiet and the old-world charm seeps throughout. There were also plenty of nice touches thrown in throughout our stay - from the delicious warm cider offered at check-in, an evening welcome reception on Saturday, courtyard bonfire on Saturday night, and small treats with turndown service at night - that made the place truly special and well worth the price.

Some prior commenters have complained about rooms being outdated/in need of renovation. I did not find this to be the case at all - our room was amazingly clean and well-appointed. The wireless Internet is excellent. Our bellman noted that there is a far block of rooms currently undergoing renovation, due to be completed in a couple months. The Carriage House is then next on the schedule for renovation in late 2012.

I think the thing that stood out the most was the sheer quality of service. From the bell staff to the front desk, the restaurant staff and even the cleaning staff in the hallways - we received warm greetings and impeccable service from each and every one. They are friendly without being overbearing, yet quick to anticipate your needs and offer suggestions.

If there is anything that I was slightly disappointed with, it is that there is no complimentary access to the pool/spa for American Club guests. This is included for guests at the Carriage House, but otherwise you will need to pay an access fee. And on Saturdays you must book a minimum of two spa services to get in to the Spa. (Clearly this is their highest demand day and I understand.) The shower in our room was amazing and quite comfortable, but a soak in a hot tub would have made the weekend perfect.

We had a wonderful time and hope you will as well.

Arlington Heights, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Everything about our experience here was five star Midwestern hospitality. The facility is truly gorgeous. The staff we encountered were gracious and elegant while making us feel welcome and at home. The bell men in their livery begin the experience by greeting you with friendliness. The check in experience is complete. The room comes with every amenity you could desire. They even will supply an HDMI cable to connect your computer with their TV if you don't have one with you. Obviously, the bathroom is a highlight. Ours had a large soaking whirlpool tub with colored lights for chroma therapy. There was also a huge shower with multiple shower settings, for body and rain showers. Our shower had a seat and a hand-held shower that should be accessible to all. The decor is traditional without being stuffy. There are many wonderful public rooms such as the library and the Lincoln Room to sit and enjoy a fireside chat. There is a complimentary turndown service. Since we had enjoyed a whirlpool soak before dinner, our bathroom was messy. When we returned to our room, it was as if we had just checked in. Except that my toiletries were neatly set arranged on a clean towel on the counter! The Greenhouse is a unique place for your complimentary morning coffee or tea. They also offer pastries and coffeehouse beverages for a fee. ( I did not partake.) . We went in the depth of winter and never left the hotel. What a wonderful and different retreat from the world of cookie-cutter franchise hotels. Let it be clear that the amazing staff is what makes the difference here. Anyone can build and maintain an attractive physical plant and then staff it with obnoxious and pretentious people. The choice has been made here to make all feel welcome, and it really shows!

Room Tip: The rooms all are named for famous people (Amelia Earhart and Admiral Farragut for example). We enj...
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

The American Club is an old line luxury hotel where the facilities and staff are exceptional. The village of Kohler, in which it is located, is a sweet little company town and also quite traditional. Indeed, the American Club is itself an offshoot of the Kohler Company and has a fascinating history in its own right. The hotel has a number of fine restaurants, a lovely spa associated with it and terrific recreation facilities (including two PGA quality golf courses). The staff are warm, attentive and practically Old World in their service. If you'd like to find a place that offers complimentary afternoon tea, you'll enjoy the American Club. Finally, it's worth noting that it offers special rates some weekend days in Winter when the cost is 50-70% of rack rate!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Northbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is the 4th time my husband and I have travelled to the American Club. It is an easy drive from Chicago (2 hours or less) so it is a great get away for a weekend. The staff is wonderful, check in and check out easy and they can almost anticipate your every wish before you know you need something. The rooms are all well appointed and the bathrooms showcase the Kohler line of products. Toiletries in the bathroom are from their spa - there is no need to bring your own blowdryer as there is one in the vanity. There is a room safe in the closet as well as a flat screen tv in the armoire. Our package included breakfast (even the fabulous Sunday brunch in the Wisconsin room). We had dinner on Friday night in The Horse & Plow which has the best bloody mary's served with a beer chaser. My husband loves their cheese curds! Saturday night we went to Cuchina (the Italian restaurant) down the road. There was a happy hour wine/cheese/vegetable tray on late Saturday afternoon that was open to all guests. The fireplace was kept ablaze in library and they even had a bonfire outside by the gazebo. This is a very relaxing high class inn. I must admit I did not use the spa during this visit but as with everything else in this hotel I am sure it is still wonderful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The American Club? Share your experiences!