“Rude Staff And Mildew In Rooms” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Janesville
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Rude Staff And Mildew In Rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Our daughter and granddaughters were traveling to spend Thanksgiving with my mother. As my daughter had worked all day the day prior to Thanksgiving, she could not make it all the way to her grandmother's house that day, so I booked a room for her and her daughter's at this hotel.

Just before midnight, she got to Janesville and forgot which exit to take, so she called the hotel to find out which exit she should take. Her first call she was told to call back in a few minutes, which she did. On her second call the front desk clerk was pretty rude and seemed put out that he had to provide directions to my daughter.

After finally checking in, she was given a room that had a considerable amount of mildew in it and she requested another room. Again the front desk clerk seemed miffed and as if she was nothing but a pain in his posterior, but he did change her room.

After entering the second room, she discovered it also had mildew in it, but less so, so she decided it was late, she and her daughters were exhausted and she didn't want to tick off the front desk clerk any further, so they went to bed and arose early the next morning and left.

I complained to Microtel Corporate about this and was then asked by this hotel to fill out a customer survey, which I did. I received a response from the franchise owner advising that he apologized and said his front desk clerk was new and needed additional training. That was it. Nothing about the mildew in the rooms being taken care of.

I advised him that bleach was a cheap fix for mildew and that his interviewing skills needed some honing so that he did not hire people with a bad attitude into the service industry.

My recommendation is that you not stay at this hotel. Pay a few dollars more and stay at a better hotel!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
hotel28413, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Janesville, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We do apoligize for the mildew issue in the room. We had not been informed that the issue was still there we had just treated the issue about two weeks before their reservation. I did make sure that the issue was addressed this time and we no longer have this issue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Haines City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

Just on our way to visit relatives and driving in the winds made for a tiring drive so we pulled of the road for a good rest didnt want to spend lots of money and were pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Only complaint was the free breakfast was very minimal.

• Stayed October 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Was in town for Water Ski Show Nationals and from past reviews decided to give the hotel my business. WRONG DECISION. Checked into room and it appeared clean, later to find dirty underwear under bed. First night A/C kept comming on and off and never really cooled the room. When I got back from the tournament the next night I called down to the desk to report that the A/C was not working at all and the room was about 87 degrees. The Desk Clerk on duty told me to turn the thermostat up and down a couple of times and it would work. Tried but not luck, she then informed me that there was nothing that she could do, all rooms were sold. I finally went and bought a fan to cool the room down some.
Next morning I reported the problem to the Desk Clerk and she said there was nothing she could do. Very rudely I must say. Will never stay at a Microtel again. Learned my lesson.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Janesville hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have stayed at this motel on the average of 10-nights a year for the last 5-years and have always been satisfied with the clean and comfortable rooms. The WIFI and cable are adequate and there is a free computer for those who don't have a laptop. There had been some issues with smoke, but those have been corrected as the property is now smoke free.

This is not a 5-star luxury hotel. But for 50 or 60 a night, right off the interstate, with ample chain restaurants and an upscale (for Janesville) shopping center nearby, this clean, safe, comfortable motel is fine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

Not sure why, but when I'm looking for a place for the night I tend to forget about the Microtel chain. I've stayed at a few and so far they seem to be a step above the Red Roof (two above the Motel6's) and above the Super 8's and Days Inn but without the extra's. Extra's that I don't use.
Front desk was helpful at checkin and again in finding me when someone told them that I'd left my lights on :( That saved me a few dollars.
I'll be back and need to remember to look for this chain. Right next door to food and fast food, stores.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bogart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

OUTSTANDING for a good night's sleep! I found this no-frills motel to offer outstanding quality for a very reasonable price. The mattress, pillow and bedding were perfect, and the room was beautifully blacked out!! Even the clock had black digital numbers, and no light came in under the hall door. The room had a wardrobe, window seat, desk/chair, and nightstands on either side of the bed. Just enough, and not too much. I can't tell you how thrilled I was with this room. I want to buy that exact bed/bedding for my own bedroom!!! The rooms are small, but I didn't need even that much. I needed sleep, and amazingly, I got it!!

Room Tip: Choose the hall away from the breakfast area.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
hotel28413, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Janesville, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We hope to see you again soon.
Abbotsford, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

After arriving at the Microtel Inn from a terrible experience at another hotel in town, we were greeted with some of the friendliest service to answer all of our questions. The young man at the front desk (sorry I have forgotten his name) went above and beyond in every way to personally take care of us and make sure that we felt safe secure and satisfied. The rates were fantastic, the rooms are great but most of all we LOVED the friendly service (If a manager is reading this you should give that man a promotion and a raise!)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hotel28413, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Janesville, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that you will come back soon to stay with us.

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Janesville? Share your experiences!