“Really good food in the Northwoods” 5 of 5 stars

715.561.4095
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Hurley
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Really good food in the Northwoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

The Kimball Inn is different from most restaurants in the Hurley/Ironwood area. The menu is a little more adventurous and the quality of the food is better than most. If you are seeking something different that the standard fare stop in and have a look. I've never been disappointed.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ironwood
“Worth the drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Just a little bit outside of town but by far our favorite dinner place. The specials are incredible, such a great selection! Hard to choose a favorite, it changes with every visit because the food is always fabulous. Ahi Tuna as appetizer or dinner, even basics like Mushroom Chicken (tons of mushrooms in butter). We like the dinner choices but sometimes on the weekend we'll even stop in for a big burger there, all the food is great. Can't go wrong here, just save us a seat!

Visited February 2012
Chicago
“Amazing Food in the Northwoods.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Wow, I would compare his food to some of the best in the Chicago area! What a find! Don't miss this small, almost hidden restaurant. I tried his Chicken Green Chilli and was very happy I did (spicy hot).
Ask for the unwritten specials, I had a salmon/steak platter that we wonderful.

Visited January 2012
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nice dining experience away from the city.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My wife and I had not been to the Hurley area for many years during the ski season, but decided to return over new years 2011-2012. We dined twice at the Kimball but avoided New Years Eve due to the “compact” nature of the Kimball since we knew it would be busy. There is a small bar area to wait in and have a cocktail until your table is ready. The owner “Mike” is a colorful character, a 60ish ex-navy man with a pony tail. Service was very good on both visits. Our entrees were fine but the house prime rib we one night was just run of the mill o.k. I would not order it again. The other entrees we ordered which featured salmon and chicken were very good. The Kimball has an excellent wine selection and Mike make’s a fine drink. A word of caution: A manhattan or martini on the rocks at the Kimball is bigger than it looks. Be sure to ask for maximum ice in your glass or you may find yourself stumbling to your table after one drink. Overall a very good dining experience in a quirky, charming building. We will return the next chance we get.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee WI
“Good experience, but would try a different restaurant in the future.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Family and friends (total 9 people) dined at Kimball Inn on New Year's Eve. We arrived a little earlier than our reservation time, but we were seated immediately in the cozy dining room with fireplace. The restaurant was filled with people who were obviously enjoying themselves. Our waitress was very pleasant, informative and efficient. We ordered and received generous glasses of wine before dinner. Prices were very reasonable. The thing however, that would prevent me from seeking this restaurant as a destination point was the seasoning of all of the food I ordered. Our entrees came with soup or salad. The soup choices did not sound appealing, so I ordered a salad with housemade 'Spicy Island' dressing. The waitress told me it was similar to Thousand Island dressing, with a "bite" to it. It turned out the dressing contained hot chili peppers (jalapeno?) After one bite, I asked the waitress for housemade Ranch - which was very bland. I tried my husband's housemade Asian Sesame dressing which tasted over whelmingly of soy sauce with no other subtle asian style flavorings. My entree was pot roast with carrots and pearl onions, and a side of polenta. The meat was tender, but I could taste nothing but seasoning salt, and black pepper with each bite. The polenta was served with cheese and spaghetti sauce ( which I thought was a strange combination - and did not enhance the entree). My teenage son ordered babyback ribs, although the waitress specifically did not recommend them. They were almost charred. My husband seemed to enjoy the clams he ordered. Another teenager enjoyed his T-bone steak. But nobody else in the group raved about his or her meal. We did not stay for dessert or coffee.

• Visited December 2011