“Wonderful weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phipps Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hudson
Phipps Inn
Save Saved
You added Phipps Inn to your Saves list
1005 Third Street, Hudson, WI 54016   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hudson B&B and Inns
Rochester, Minnesota
“Wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

If you are looking for a fun, relaxing B&B, Phipps Inn is the place. Mary Ellen and Rich are welcoming and friendly. The house and bedrooms are beautifully appointed and the home is exquisitely maintained. Every amenity you can think of is provided. The breakfast was a 3 course delight. Phipps Inn is everything a high class B&B should be.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

The inn isn't very impressive walking up to it since it is all painted white. I think it would look so much better with a new paint job. IT is a beautiful house, nonetheless. When we checked in she did not hear the doorbell so we walked in as another couple was walking out. I don't think she liked that because she was asking how we got in and looked uncomfortable. We were waiting for about 7 minutes though and no one came to the door. The interior is great and the room was nice and cozy. The reason I give it a average rating is because she wasn't very welcoming when we walked in and the breakfast was not to my liking. I was surprised there were no evening snacks, wine, or tea as well this is something Ive experience in all B & B's Ive stayed at. The food was good but too many sweets. I'm sure many people like this but I prefer more regular food as opposed too many sweets. We had a egg dish with a pecan roll, banana bread, baked apple, and a cookie bar. She was very talkative at breakfast and seemed to be in a better mood than when we first arrived. I would recommend this Inn

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MaryEllen C, Owner at Phipps Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
This guest’s preference for non-white houses should not be interpreted as a lack of maintenance. The Phipps Inn is a Hudson landmark and has been white for decades. Prior to that it was dark grey but has never been a Painted Lady Victorian. When it again requires painting it will likely remain white. The usual comment heard here after breakfast is, “That was amazing!” We’re happy that we’re able to please almost everyone. Guests are welcome to bring their own alcoholic beverages. We provide complimentary soda, filtered water, handmade chocolates in each room and other treats in the Music Room. Tea and coffee are available in the evening on request. Our guests are asked to ring the doorbell when they arrive. If it is obvious after several minutes that the doorbell hasn’t been heard, it would not be unreasonable to ring it a second time and preferable to walking in and startling the innkeeper.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband and I spent the night at the Inn to celebrate his birthday. We stayed in the Peacock Room and had a wonderful experience. The room (and all of the rooms) was beautiful and so enjoyable. This was our first stay at the Phipps Inn and highly recommend it for a getaway in Hudson Wisconsin. We met Mary Ellen the innkeeper, who was so nice and offered so many insights about the Inn as well as sightseeing in Hudson. We had a delicious as well as beautiful breakfast served to us in our room. We couldn't have asked for a more delightful experience than we had at the Phipps Inn. We highly recommend it to anyone who would like a getaway for a night or two in a gorgeous setting. We live in Saint Paul, MN and is a quick thirty minute drive from there. My only regret is that the night passed so quickly and it was time to go home! We loved it and look forward to another stay to experience another suite at the Phipps Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms are large with wonderful whirlpool baths. They look as they are pictured on the website...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We could not have been happier! Warm room with whirlpool and fireplace, very romantic! Clean and cheery. We were even more pleased with breakfast. Since we have dietary needs sometimes dining out just isn't worth it, but our hosts went above and beyond and served fabulous food.
Very happy with "The Stone Tap Grill" also; a must try when in Hudson!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Stillwater and Hudson for our anniversary. We had never stayed at a B and B before but I am so glad we did. I loved it! The house was so amazing and beautiful and not to mention CLEAN. I loved all of the little, neat features that the inn had. We were in the Willow Chamber and I really enjoyed how private it was all the way upstairs. It was quiet everywhere in the house though and I never heard anyone else the whole time except for our fabulous breakfast we had. The bed was comfy, the water was hot for the big tub, and the robes were a nice touch. I also liked the drink station area, which was great to have for later on in the evening for us. I liked how Mary Ellen was nice and showed us around right when we got there, but wasn't too overwhelming and nosy like I have heard other B and B owners to be. We didn't meet her husband, but I did see him working around the home.I know that we will return, or perhaps I will come next time with some girlfriends for a weekend a way. I would love to see the other rooms and try another one out sometime soon! I also wanted to mention that although we had meant to spend a lot of time in Stillwater, I am glad we came to Hudson for most of the time instead. It was much more comfortable, not so busy and we loved the little Main Street area! Of course Phipps Inn made the weekend!

Room Tip: Upstairs was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodbury, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I love this place. First stayed here for our wedding weekend in '94 and have returned for 19 anniversaries plus a few other special occasions ever since (grand total of 23 times I think)! Mary Ellen and Rich are very accommodating and gracious hosts and know a lot about the history of the house. The breakfasts are delicious, and the rooms immaculate. Don't give it a second thought - just book a night or two. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Our favorite room is the Peacock Chamber, but we've also stayed in the Willow, Master Suite, and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

To celebrate my 50th I decided to plan a getaway with some girlfriends for the weekend. We didn't want to drive too far so I found Phipps Inn while searching B&Bs. The moment we drove up to the house we fell in love with it. We were welcomed by Mary Ellen who showed us around and made us feel "at home." The house is so well-kept and clean. We had the entire 3rd floor (Peacock Chamber and Willow Chamber) which has a lovely common area for reading/relaxing or being served breakfast - which is where Mary Ellen and Rich served us a delicious breakfast each morning. It was fabulous and such a relaxing weekend. We could walk into quaint Hudson to shop or eat. I would definitely recommend Phipps Inn for a relaxing and enjoyable get-a-way.
Thanks to Rich and Mary Ellen for making our stay a great one.....and for the surprise birthday treat at breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Phipps Inn? Share your experiences!