“Great First B and B Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Phipps Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hudson
Phipps Inn
Save Saved
You added Phipps Inn to your Saves list
1005 Third Street, Hudson, WI 54016   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hudson B&B and Inns
Annandale, Minnesota
“Great First B and B Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Stillwater and Hudson for our anniversary. We had never stayed at a B and B before but I am so glad we did. I loved it! The house was so amazing and beautiful and not to mention CLEAN. I loved all of the little, neat features that the inn had. We were in the Willow Chamber and I really enjoyed how private it was all the way upstairs. It was quiet everywhere in the house though and I never heard anyone else the whole time except for our fabulous breakfast we had. The bed was comfy, the water was hot for the big tub, and the robes were a nice touch. I also liked the drink station area, which was great to have for later on in the evening for us. I liked how Mary Ellen was nice and showed us around right when we got there, but wasn't too overwhelming and nosy like I have heard other B and B owners to be. We didn't meet her husband, but I did see him working around the home.I know that we will return, or perhaps I will come next time with some girlfriends for a weekend a way. I would love to see the other rooms and try another one out sometime soon! I also wanted to mention that although we had meant to spend a lot of time in Stillwater, I am glad we came to Hudson for most of the time instead. It was much more comfortable, not so busy and we loved the little Main Street area! Of course Phipps Inn made the weekend!

Room Tip: Upstairs was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Woodbury, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I love this place. First stayed here for our wedding weekend in '94 and have returned for 19 anniversaries plus a few other special occasions ever since (grand total of 23 times I think)! Mary Ellen and Rich are very accommodating and gracious hosts and know a lot about the history of the house. The breakfasts are delicious, and the rooms immaculate. Don't give it a second thought - just book a night or two. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Our favorite room is the Peacock Chamber, but we've also stayed in the Willow, Master Suite, and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

To celebrate my 50th I decided to plan a getaway with some girlfriends for the weekend. We didn't want to drive too far so I found Phipps Inn while searching B&Bs. The moment we drove up to the house we fell in love with it. We were welcomed by Mary Ellen who showed us around and made us feel "at home." The house is so well-kept and clean. We had the entire 3rd floor (Peacock Chamber and Willow Chamber) which has a lovely common area for reading/relaxing or being served breakfast - which is where Mary Ellen and Rich served us a delicious breakfast each morning. It was fabulous and such a relaxing weekend. We could walk into quaint Hudson to shop or eat. I would definitely recommend Phipps Inn for a relaxing and enjoyable get-a-way.
Thanks to Rich and Mary Ellen for making our stay a great one.....and for the surprise birthday treat at breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I traveled with three girlfriends to Hudson, WI from Minneapolis to stay at the Phipps Inn and had a wonderful weekend. We arrived Friday night, decided to have drinks on the porch as it was a beautiful summer day. Mary Ellen and Rick were very inviting, offered to bring ice out to the porch for us and were just as accommodating the entire weekend. We took over the top, 3rd level as there are two rooms, The Peacock Room and the Willow Room. I stayed in the Willow Room with a friend and it was very spacious. We were coming and going all the next day and were given advice on where to shop, have lunch, etc.

Saturday evening we were again on the porch having wine and had a lovely conversation with owner and "innkeeper" Mary Ellen. She is a kind, warm, interesting person working her second career with her husband, Rich, to run this historic bed and breakfast. She again asked if we wanted ice to chill our wine which was so thoughtful.

They offered us breakfast on the 3rd level which was brought in cute baskets filled with delicious quiches, fruit, baked apples, scones, sticky carmel rolls, coffee, tea, juice. It was delicious and different each day. She even brought up a special birthday dessert our last morning for our friend celebrating her birthday. Very special, very unique, very thoughtful.

We did peek at the various rooms and they were all unique and decorated in a way that accented the historic home that it is. It is on the National Historic Homes Registry and is just beautiful with it's woodwork, unique spaces, etc.

I would highly recommend staying here for business, honeymoon, long weekend away from the city, etc. It is a wonderful home away from home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

While the Inn was beautiful, we felt that we were imposing on the inn keepers. Another couple was leaving the house as we arrived and as they held the door for us, we walked into the foyer. Apparently, there is a very small card on the exterior of the home informing "guests" that they must ring the bell to enter. We did not see the card and felt chastised for walking in without having rung the front door bell. The room was comfortable but we were not. We have stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts and this was the first and only time we did not feel welcome. While the breakfast was good, the other guests were quiet until the innkeeper left the dining room at which point many of us shared the same feeling that we were made to feel as if we were unwelcomed guests in a private home. If you choose to run a Bed and Breakfast, you should realize that your "guests" are just that...guests. We would not make a return trip nor recommend (the) Phipps Inn to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
queenanne, Owner at Phipps Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. We apologize that these guests did not feel welcome. However we are at a loss as to why it took them 11 months to post a review. We do have a sign by the doorbell. It is not a “very small card.” It is an 8”x10” framed sign where we politely ask guests and other visitors to please ring the bell as they would upon entering anyone’s home – which is what our B&B is. That they would presume to speak for other guests is disappointing.
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a very comfortable Inn with beautiful period furnishings. Ate some delicious and unique tasting breakfast in a friendly family style atmosphere. I had the Master suite all to myself and it was kept up perfectly each day by the staff. Mary Ellen and Rich have paid close attention to every detail and are wonderful hosts. I hope to return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Green Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I recently had to travel to Hudson on a business trip and was fortunate enough to choose the Phipps Inn to spend my 2 night stay. Rich and Mary Ellen were wonderful hosts. Very welcoming and they had great advice for choosing area restaurants for my 2 night stay. I took a brisk walk in the morning before breakfast thru the quaint downtown along the river and arrived back to find fresh brewed coffee waiting in the parlor before breakfast. Breakfast was very tasty and the presentation was wonderful and unique. The sheets on my bed were heavenly and the entire inn is immaculate! My experience was great and I will definitely be visiting the Phipps Inn again, when I'm in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Phipps Inn? Share your experiences!