“I Wish It Was Better” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Hudson, WI
“I Wish It Was Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This long awaited restaurant should be a lot better than it is. The bar is great with a really welcoming ambiance and an interesting wine list. The dining space is comfortable and pretty without being lavish. The food is another story. It is at best uneven. The pasta dishes are largely flavorless. The pizza is extraordinary, probably the second best in town. Service is fast and friendly. The staff is clearly well trained.
I'm rooting for this place but they got to improve the seasonings or business will suffer after the newest wears off.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Best food I have eaten in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great place to go with either my kids or by myself. Nice verity of beverage choices and exceptional food. Wait staff very friendly and can't wait to go back for another outstanding experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wish there was a rating between Avg and Very Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went there to meet up with some previous co-workers of my wife. There were 6 of us total. The waitress did a good job of keeping everything organized since we asked for several samples of the tap beers that they have. The atmosphere was good for a group swapping stories but since this is in the old Post Office Bldg, there is a lot of stone inside and the echo and overall din of the large room made it hard to hear across the table. The food was very good including the appetizers. We got the Italian nachos and bruschetta. My wife and I split a dinner so we had a $2 charge for that. Definitely worth it since we each got our choice of soup or salad plus they split the entree and each half was more than enough for each one. She had the salad and it reminded me of the Olive Garden salad. Big bowl filled with salad and you serve yourself. Good homemade French dressing too. I had the beer cheese soup and it was a little thinner that I am used to. Decent flavor but could have used something to kick it up a notch. The parmesan crusted chicken had good flavor but seemed a bit too salty. Other people got sandwiches or wraps that looked pretty good and someone had the sweet potato fries as their side. They shared them; they were good fries. Also got an order of the hot chips and but I didn't have any. The consensus was that the dipping sauce was a little too hot/spicy after a couple seconds so it snuck up on everyone. The guys liked that, the women not so much. I never got the last beer that I ordered but didn't really need it and it wasn't on our check. They also did a good job of keeping our water glasses filled which can be a deal breaker for us.

We asked for and received separate checks and the waitress did a good job of keeping everything straight including all the drinks.

Several waitstaff tried to deliver other people's food or drink orders to our table so I have to wonder if any of our stuff took a tour of the place before getting to us?

Overall, it was good but not great and definitely better than average. Definitely comparable to Barkers, Agave or Pier 500.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Lovely time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was taken here for Valentines Day. When we walked in the mood was very enlightening. We had made reservations but were a bit early. They had our table ready, and sat us right away. There drink choices are so unique I had a hard time deciding. All looked so delicious. I had the Mediterranean Pasta. LOVED it!!! They had a big variety of menu items as well. Our first experience was great. We will defiantly be back!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Service--Don't set your hopes high”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We got the "Vault Room." I guess it's supposed to be romantic, but I felt claustrophobic. By the way, this room is the only way you can get a reservation.

After waiting 15 minutes or so, my friend went to remind the hostess that we wanted to be served. The server arrived and was very friendly, but I waited even longer for a drink.

Once I got my drink, the salad showed up, a few seconds later, the appetizer appeared and just seconds after that, our entrees arrived. My friend and I were stunned at the poor timing.

The food was ok, about a 5 out of 10. But the choppy service made us think less of the food and the experience.

Really disappointed since this was to be a fun birthday dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere