“Almost all very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hudson
Iowa
“Almost all very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just spent two nights at this property while attending meetings in the area. The check-in was easy, had a newspaper saved for me, and an ice cream nitecap. Room was very modern, internet worked fine, good refrig, and TV was DirecTV with channels just like home. Shower was great and a/c worked fine. Bed was comfortable, and breakfast in the morning was above average. I do wish they would turn the public TV's (lobby, breakfast area) to something other than CNN (can't stand biased news). Only problem was found on the second day, a persistent 'itching' on my legs. While I am sure there were no bedbugs, there was something that did trigger this reaction (perhaps the soap, or laundry detergent/softener). I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had been looking for a place near Minneapolis, but the rates were high near the city. We stayed just across the border in Wisconsin. We will never stay in the city again. This place was under $100.00 with AAA or AARP and we could drive to the far suburbs in less than an hour. Small things make an impression. They offer ice cream bars to guests. Nice touch.

Breakfast was standard HIE fare, but the scrambled eggs, sausage and gravy were just warm. Fortunately a microwave was handy. I like my food piping hot. Minor complaint. The coffee in the breakfast area was fresh and hot. Great! The coffee in the lobby was warm. Minor complaint.

Every employee was very friendly! Our grandkids had a great time in the pool. The water was clean, but not over-chlorinated. The temperature was very comfortable in the pool and the hot tub.

The beds were comfy with three sheets and four pillows on each bed. The room was clean when we got there. Not so much after we checked out! Our two four year old granddaughters left a mess behind. No damage, but messy! I don't usually tip the maid, but this time, she deserved it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hurley, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Arrived here later in the evening, really tired, and was grateful for the kindness and efficiency of the young man at the front desk. He provided menus for delivery food (and pointed out that the hotel itself offers free ice cream novelties in the evening - yum!).

The room itself was clean - really clean! No dust collection in the corners, no fingerprints anywhere, clean, fresh smell... The room itself was large (2 double beds), but the bathroom was wonderful and spacious, with an oval vessel sink, plenty of counter space and a walk-in shower.

There is access to many dining places (mostly fast food and casual) and stores from this hotel.

I don't get to this area of the state often, but when I do I will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for what you would like - I was tired and had lots of stuff to carry in. I voiced this and was...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I give this place 5 stars because for its class of hotel because it was clean, the staff was so kind (my wife thought Dominic was perfect!)

We were out for a night and were so pleased we stayed here. We had a jacuzzi suite, there are lots of places nearby to eat, shop, get a massage, haircut, pedicure, farm supplies or pick up home remodeling project supplies. Seriously, there is everything up here in this part of Hudson. It might be worth staying here to go to Fleet Farm alone, Man's Mall indeed.

Starbucks across the road is crazy busy so I suggest Caribou on the other side of the freeway... just saying.

As for the hotel staff, again, so nice. I asked for a late checkout because he had errands to run and she hooked us up nice. Breakfast was pretty good though there wasn't much for a gluten free diet (Rice Chex or something would be a nice option). The pool was clean and comfortable.

If we have another date night we would stay here for sure.

They DO have the no party policy, so it is quiet!! Obviously a problem if you are a wedding party or something, but pretty nice if you are there to sleep. I warned the ladies checking into the hotel for their friend's 85th birthday but they promised to keep it down.

While there are a ton of chain places to eat around the hotel, do yourself a favor and drive the couple of miles to downtown Hudson, There are some really fantastic places down there and great shopping.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This property is located close to the expressway and was convenient for my business needs. My room came with a refrigerator, so the supermarket across the street was nice.

I had a minor issue at check-in, which was resolved with a room upgrade on a full night. I was very happy with my service. The room was spotless, with a king bed, couch, and decent desk. The adjustments on my desk chair were a bit off, but I liked the work space. There were an unusually high number of cable channels, with a lightning quick directv menu. The bathroom was large, with a walk in shower only, for those who might miss a bath.

The pool and workout areas seemed to be well appointed and in good shape, but I did not have time to enjoy them.

I will certainly stay my next time in town.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We will most definitely stay here again. Hotel was very clean, our room was very comfortable. very friendly staff, and most important to us it was quite! Unlike other reviews we appreciated the no party sign posted at the front desk. when I stay at hotel I want to relax not listen to your party and music. There is a nice pool and hot tub area, and the complimentary breakfast was a nice mix of hot and cold foods.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Nothing fancy, but a professional environment. Very helpful & friendly staff, they go the extra mile.
Nice breakfast too. No birthday parties in the pool area too! The pool area is clean & quite. Close to most Hudson Businesses and restaurants.

Room Tip: All are fine.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hudson-I-94? Share your experiences!