“A "clean" sleep” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenfield
Golden Key Motel
Save Saved
You added Golden Key Motel to your Saves list
3600 S. 108th St., Greenfield, WI 53220   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Greenfield
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“A "clean" sleep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a clean mom-n-pop motel. The bathrooms have been completely re-tiled, have hair dryers and very good quality towels. The bedroom, though it is pretty much bare bones, does have a thermostat with central heat rather than a heater/AC under the window so that is really a plus. The TV has many channels even though the TV is not flat screen.
Furniture is nice, has a small refrigerator and microwave. The bed was ok. I wish they would fold the old-fashioned bedspread down rather than putting over the pillows. I believe the bedspreads often end up on the floor then germs from the floor end up on the pillow. I do not see that as hygienic no matter what name is on the sign and am glad most hotels are not doing that anymore.
I, personally, really missed the in-room coffee maker. The office did have coffee in a big urn in the morning, but no decaf or tea. My husband asked them to microwave some water for his tea bag. The man at the desk was very gracious about doing so. He also replaced the alarm clock, which was broken, with a brand new one when I called him.
I understood from another person that they do not have their pool anymore due to mandate to add handicap lift/ramp. They do, however, have a pleasant terrace with tables and umbrellas where one could relax or sun. Wi-fi was fine though sometimes slow. All in all, I believe this family is doing a good job running a clean place to sleep.....just missed having my coffee with half-and-half in the morning. And that is a minor detail. BTW if soap the size of 2 postage stamps is an issue carry your own. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shoreview, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before, and choose it for it location and inexpensive price. This last time, a couple of issues stood out:
1. the bedding was old, ripped (like, a lot) and had three different cigarette burns in the sheets, pillowcases and bedspread;
2. the bathroom sink barely drained;
3. The mattress was really bad - in fact I felt like I was sleeping on a water bed;
4. the shower head head needed cleaning.
None of these things were critical, but for a nominal amount of money, they could replace the sheets and bedspread and get a better mattress. For free, they could snake the bathroom sink and dip the showerhead in some vinegar to clean the spigot holes.
I know this isn't a 4-star hotel, but it seems to be going downhill. we've been staying here for years and this last time, I felt like it had fallen on hard times. There was garbage in the parking lot (condom boxes) ice chunks and snow had not been removed, there seemed to be permanently parked construction vehicles that were taking up more than one spot in a small parking lot. It had the feeling of despair. I took all of my belongings with me each time we left, and that was not the feeling I had during our first three stays. Office staff were never on hand. They were always in the back room and were barely friendly. I'm not sure what changed but I'm not comfortable staying there again. The one bright spot was the cleaning crew. Our room spotlessly clean each day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I needed a motel for a weekly stay and this was a perfect spot and good value for the money. Would stay here again. Family owned motel kept up very nice and clead. Staff was helpful. The bathroom was recently remodeled, room had a very nice fridge and was very clean. Also was able to rest well as the motel was quiet.

Room Tip: This motel was very clean, comfortable and excellent value for the weekly rate. The staff was very n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The outdoor pool that is cleaned daily by a robotic machine. This is a family run business and therefore they are able to attract many repeat clientele. This was our first time staying here and will not be our last. It is close to shopping and restaurants - some within walking distance. I would say to anyone that would find any fault with this motel to remember this is not a hotel, although our experience here was equivalent or better to some 5 star hotels - very economical, as well. Daily maid service - exceptionally nice and thorough. There is a chair set outside of every room to enjoy the suburban-like setting that the Golden Key Motel is set on, although it is directly off of a main road. Excellent. Why pay more and get less? An outdoor pool is important to us, as is cleanliness and a friendly atmosphere. I am highly recommending the Golden Key Motel. We originally were to stay 5 days and were lucky to stay yet another night, as most of the nights, this motel was booked to capacity (I believe there are 23 rooms), but still managed to be a serene place to stay. The owners were very hospitable and the motel grounds/setting had a certain amount of charm, again, especially for the price. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and met a lot of nice people along the way that were repeat customers and family members of the owners. I had not been aware of this place before and now believe that this is truly, one of Milwaukee's hidden gems.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Although we have stayed here many time because of their low rates....we have opted to go elsewhere. These are the things that need to be taken care of-- update the rooms with better beds,the air conditioners need to be over hauled..what's the point in staying in a semi-cool room.
I know that this is family owned place....but please take pride in your business.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

We were looking for a bargain as all we needed was a place to sleep - our days started early & ended late. The room featured forced air heat from a central furnace. It was a cozy stay. Our cost was $142 (including tax) for two nights for two queen beds. The room was clean. Only complaint is barely mentionable - the sink drain was very slow. I plan to stay there for all my future visits to Milwaukee

• Liked — Three star motel at one star price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Golden Key Motel? Share your experiences!