“Best bed ever!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Green Lake
Chicago
“Best bed ever!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent the night at Heidel House last week, after not having been there for about 10 years. It was still as nice as we remembered. The room was large and clean and comfortable. We both agreed that it was the most comfortable bed we had ever slept in (although 30 minutes in the hot tub prior to bedtime didn’t hurt). Some of the stairwells around the pool and fitness center were dingy and the carpeting in those areas could use updating, but the other public areas sparkled.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Heidel House last week with 2 friends for a girls weekend. Overall, we had a great time. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean with a beautiful view of the lake. We visited the Evensong Spa and enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and services. The property is especially beautiful in fall, with all of the trees turning. The hotel, while clean, needs a facelift. The drop and popcorn ceilings scream 1972. Carpeting is old and worn. Most hotels have room cards now instead of a real key,although it was sort of quaint. I would like to return in summer to golf and swim, but I feel the rooms are a bit expensive for what more closely resembles a motel than a resort.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view room. Third floor rooms have high windows that let in the morning sun very early.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My family wanted to see see the beautiful fall colors and got what we wanted as the drive to Green Lake was very pretty. Heidel House is located right across the street a beautiful golf course.We got a special "Buy one night get the next night free" deal which we availed of. This brought our rate to an average of $100 night. We had a lakeview room which overlooked the lake and had a balcony to enjoy the scenery. We didn't use it as it was too cold for our liking. The room itself was comfortable and had a little divider which separates the sleeping area from the sitting area. It was a traditional hotel room. It wasn't bad, yet it wasn't specatcular either. For the rate we paid, I was happy with what it had to offer. It was very clean.
Our family of five ( 2 teens and a 5 year old travelled with my elderly mom and my sister. The outdooor pool is closed for the season, however, the indoor pool was well maintained. There are also two very nice spas for use and a small recreation room with arcade games and a ping-pong table which the kids liked. We also took advantage of the sand volleyball, and basketball and tennis courts. You can borrow equipment and balls from the front desk. The kids enjoyed themselves, however, for us adults our options were limited. We enjoyed playing but all we could do otherwise was look at the scenery and wait for the next meal.
Since I am a city girl, the maximum number of nights I can stay in a place like Heidel House is two nights. There is nothing around the area and we definitely did try looking for it. We were not looking for night life but we wanted different activities outside the resort as well. The brochure for the area advertised quaint shop in neighboring towns. We checked them out and they were not worth visiting. Downtown Greenlake had 2-3 restaurants downtown and about 2 quaint shops. We had breakfast at a cute family diner downtown called Little Corporal as the restaurant at the hotel was too busy.
After the second day at the resort I was ready to go. We took advantage of hotel amenities because truly at this time of the year there was nothing else to do unless you are a golfer. I did hear that the spa is worth visiting. However, their rates were too expensive. They were more expensive than what I would get in a nice downtown Chicago spa. Heidel House is a conference resort and might be worth visiting after I have exhausted my other options. In summary, this is good for people who can handle peace and quiet and staying in the resort at all times. This is definitely good for golfers. This is good for families in the summer time when all activities are accessible. For people like me, who wants to be closer to shops and have a choice in restaurants, then this is not the place. The never ending farmland just didn't go well with me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pewaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Once again, the Heidel House has met my expectations. We made a visit in conjunction with the "From the Land" Art & Craft fair and were not disappointed. We had a wonderful stay, complete with a visit to my favorite spa, Evensong. All staff at the hotel as well as the spa were extremely cordial and welcoming. We sat on our lakeview balcony and watched the sunset (yes, it was warm enough) on Sunday, biked on Monday and visited the spa on Tuesday, to round out a perfectly relaxing visit. We are already planning on aother stay next May, if not before.

Ely, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Heidel House is beautiful and so well located for a weekend getaway. I recently stayed there for a night with some girlfriends. Check-in was a breeze; our room was spotless with a killer view of the lake and the beds were amazing! We were there for the Oktoberfest activities but I am already planning another trip to do some antique shopping in the area. I must have counted a couple dozen shops in both Princeton and Green Lake. The Heidel House comes heavily recommended as I will definitely stay there again!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This past weekend we spent an afternoon at the Evansong Spa in Green Lake, WI. Although the prices are high, everyone should experience Evansong once in their life. I recommend any of the facials or body massages. I had a facial that included neck, decollage, hands and feet. All I can say it was amazing! I climbed into a heated bed/massage table and Lilly did a wonderful job of explaining what she was doing, what products were being used and then she went to work. OMG! It was incredible. I ended up buying the facial cleanser and these pads you use once a week (like a mini peel), but you don't peel. My face was so soft afterward. Lilly also explained not to do the steam room after a facial because it opens your poors back up, so do the steam room and whirlpool first, then get your facial. Excellent lunch there too. Loved it!

Room Tip: My apologies, we did not stay at The Heidel House, we stayed at a local friends house on Green Lake.
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Booked a Romantic escape package for Fri-Sun in fall (Oct 13th weekend). We had a standard room (big bathroom) with king bed which was clean and well stocked. There were chocolates and champagne on ice in the room upon our arrival. Our package also included breakfast and dinner for two. Food was delicious and restaurants, views and staff were all excellent. I couldn't believe how professional the staff was, from our front desk experiences to the waitstaff at breakfast to the maid in the hall who gave us an extra coffee packet.
The grounds are lovely. We had one day of chilly, sunny weather and the rest of the time it poured rain. Was still wonderful as we spent a few hours at the spa (couples massage was perfect), relaxed in the room, had a drink at the bar and on Friday night there was a beer tasting in the tent (which was originally supposed to be on the resort yacht, but lake levels were too low for a beer cruise). They made up for it by serving beer samples for an extra half hour, however.
Breakfast in the sunroom...delicious both mornings, and we ate our fill at grey rock for our 5 year anniversary that Saturday night and were seated in the porch with a spectacular lake view. In fact 75% of the views are of the lake or surrounding wooded areas. Beautiful.
Prices for package were very good comparing it to the American Club or Ostoff resorts. Although the Heidel house is a bit older with more standard rooms, I would guess (did price comparisons, but never visited the Club or Ostoff for overnight stays).
I would 100% recommend the Heidel House and really have no complaints about our stay. We used the pool both nights, which was kept clean and not overloaded with chemicals, which was nice. It rained the majority of our time there and we STILL managed to have a great time. We even visited shops in the area and had lunch in town, what a great weekend!

Room Tip: book spa services before you arrive at the resort as it fills up fast! If heading to the spa, bring...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Heidel House Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!