“$250 deposit if you use your Debit Card!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt on Main

You added Hyatt on Main to your Saves list
Hyatt on Main
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Main Street, Green Bay, WI 54301 (Formerly Hotel Sierra)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Green Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Green Bay
“$250 deposit if you use your Debit Card!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I have been staying at this location for over 20 years. It was fantastic as "Embassy Suites", then was converted to "Regency Suites" and was equally fantastic. Now that it is run as "Hotel Sierra" it is a HUGE disappointment. I booked through a very reputable travel site, which took payment from my card upon booking. I did call the hotel and offered them the opportunity to price match the travel site price, but they were too busy to talk to me when I called. I had the printout from the site showing the payment with a note stating the room was paid for, but I would still be responsible for any incidentals, such as phone, etc. When we checked in, the woman wanted to charge us again. I showed her the receipt and she just stated it was not in their system. After a wait, she finally looked through some paperwork on her counter and found what she needed. Once she located the paperwork showing that I had indeed paid, she asked for a credit card for incidentals. No problem. I handed her my debit card. She then informed me that if I used a Debit Card, they would have to reserve a $250 deposit on the card in case of charges. Seriously? The room cost me $84, and they need a $250 deposit if I use debit? There was a card on the counter that I spotted after she informed me of the deposit. The card stated it could take up to 30 days to have the deposit back in your account. So, I went back into my wallet and pulled out a credit card. She tried several times and finally said the computer was not taking it. SO, I gave her another credit card, which she ran through 3 times before it finally went through. The entire time she portrayed the attitude as if it was my fault her credit card system was not working right. Finally we got our room keys and went upstairs, finding that the only major changes with the new RENOVATIONS, was a flat panel TV and they REMOVED the table and chairs from the sitting area. Now it is just a couch and the bar. We had our daughter with and no place to sit her down to play games. By the way, there were FOUR employees behind the counter when we checked in but only ONE actually working directly with customers as a line formed in the lobby. One employee seriously just stood there and was staring at people in the lobby like he was security at a rock concert. Perhaps the employees were just cranky because they were working on Valentines, but for those of us who were paying to spend a nice Valentines day there, it was not worth it.

• Liked — I had a history at this location, but under this new management, I will not go back!
  • Disliked — After the remodeling and new hotel name, it has gone way downhill for customer service.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

We stayed at the hotel during a Packer/Bears game. The noise from people partying travels up the center where all of the rooms are facing. Did not get any sleep. We were on the 6th floor and woken by the screaming on the 2nd floor. I called the front desk 3 times, they were very confused on how they should handle all the noise. The rooms have low ceilings, I felt like I was a giant in the room. Also the bathrooms are very small. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — room, hotel layout, front desk staff in situations
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Central Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

We stayed at this hotel when it was the Regency Suites. We had a wonderful time then and expected the same this time. Upon arrival, I immediately noticed that the decor was transformed from warm and comfortable to stuffy and business client like. I am not impressed. Upon checking in, I was informed that the reservations i made for this stay 6 months ago, (yes six!) could not be completely honored because they overbooked. So on my last night there, I had to repack and drag my family to another hotel completely across town. Yes, they paid for the last night but that does not make up for the fact that i spent what should have been the last day my kids would see their grandparents in a long time gettin gourselves situated for what would be just one night! The "free" breakfast in the morning was nice but the gentleman who made it was ill-tempered. We felt like we were putting him out every morning. Also, good luck keeping your food warm. You need to wear a winter coat to the breakfast area during Winter since it seems they are saving money on heat. One more thing..they handed out free drink coupons for the evening cocktails. This service was not offered one single night we were there!! Just a gimmick I guess.

• Liked — The room size
  • Disliked — The service and they way we were trated.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Hibbing, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

At first glance, it appears this hotel will be an upscale lodging experience; however, a closer look reveals an older embassy Suites wearing cheap cologne. First, our Friday night stay cost $98.10- with free cocktails and a hot breakfast, we felt the price was fair. Saturday (a night before a Packers game) cost $279.00 for the same room. With rooms packed beyond individual room capacities, the hotel was roudy and loud well past midnight. Although we were up early, the showers were cold and did not warm up. The breakfast area felt like a dorm cafeteria with dirty dishes and leftover food everywhere. We were unable to get a seat, so we ate elsewhere. After paying $279.00 for cold showers and no breakfast, we decided we would not be returning to this hotel any time soon.

• Liked — the Suite instead of a single hotel room
  • Disliked — Cold showers, high price, crowded breakfast area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

I have stayed at this property for years...back when it originally opened as an Embassy Suites and then as the Regency Suites. I was excited to see how they'd breathe new life into the property. Unfortunately, the Hotel Sierra failed that task.

Upon check-in, I requested that we get a room with a king bed. The staff member said the only way to get an "upgrade" was to pay for the king bed. I've never heard of a room with a king bed as an upgrade. Anytime we've stayed anywhere else, we've always been given a king unless they were all booked. It was easy to tell that the night we stayed there it wasn't even close to capacity.

During the check-in process, I had to sign a $250 agreement not to smoke inside the hotel. This was perfectly fine with me, as I prefer 100% smoke-free hotels. Directly after check-in, I walked in the hotel's atrium and it stunk of cigarette smoke. What was the point of signing the agreement if they don't enforce it?

Once we arrived in our room, I was completely unimpressed. In the interest of brevity, I'll try to keep this short:

-No desk for business travelers
-Limited drawer space
-No honor bar
-Bathroom size of an airplane bathroom
-Only provided with one bar soap, not another one for the shower
-No soap dish in the shower
-Pieces of bathroom ceiling falling off
-Removed convenient second sink area in bedroom of original property and in its place was a "closet" with a piece of cloth acting as a closet door.
-Could not take advantage of express check-out as an invoice was never delivered to our room as promised.
-Posted room rate in hotel room was $599. I laughed out loud at this.

We did enjoy the made to order breakfast the next morning. Overall, I was less than impressed with the Hotel Sierra. It definitely is not worth the inflated rates they charge.

• Liked — Made to order breakfast
  • Disliked — Not given a room with a king bed when the hotel was not even close to capacity
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwauke, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My wife and in-laws had a family get-together in Green Bay. In total, we had one infant and six adults staying at the hotel.

The bad: the ultra-modern decor is not for everybody, especially if you like dresser drawers. Our bedspread was very stiff and rough. Also, the bathroom was on the small side.

The good: Far outweighs the bad. The staff was courteous and helpful. The decor was nice and the modernness does keep the furniture from overwhelming the room. The breakfast area, pool, shops, bar, restaurant and front desk are all located on the same floor and not hidden by a maze of cooridors. Speaking of breakfast, it was great. Cooked items and a wide variety of pastries, breads, cereals, juices, etc. Definetelly NOT the average 'continental breakfast ' most establishments offer. The price was very reasonable for the area and amenities.

We will certainly be returning to the Sierra Hotel

• Liked — great amenities and price. Great breakfast
  • Disliked — ultra modern decor/ no dresser
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham. AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

Hotel Sierra is the third nameplate for this hotel, which was built as an Embassy Suites (if you stay at the Embassy chain often, you'll recognize the look) and then went independent. This property underwent a major renovation prior to the re-branding. The renovation went well, but this hotel still has some quirks.

All rooms are two-room suites, with the front room featuring a big-screen HDTV, wet bar, fridge and sleeper sofa. The rear room is more like a standard hotel room. Here's the only big problem: The remodelers went with a modern decor, which apparently means NO DRAWERS. There is not a single door in the bedroom. If you're there one night, that's probably no big deal. But I was there for nine nights for a convention. Not good at all. After complaining by many at our function, management did say that they were changing their business-floor rooms to include drawers, but that will be a while. Bathrooms are on the small side. High speed Internet, both wired and wireless, is free. A free made-to-order breakfast is available daily, and was quite tasty and popular with our group.

It seemed like there were still a few re-branding pains going on with some back-of-the-house functions such as reservations and billing. Some people at our function were charged more than the convention's agreed rate, and those in charge of our group had to intervene.

Aside from that, the staff did a good job of handling a function that included more than 150 teenagers, no small feat. The staff was unfailingly polite and helpful. Case in point: When the downstairs deli was out of Sunday newspapers and I asked the front desk staff where I could find one, the shuttle-van driver said, "C'mon, I'll take you down to the gas station to get one." And off we went.

Hotel Sierra Green Bay features a pub with food service, good and reasonably priced, and a deli which also serves pizza. Other restaurants are nearby, including the Titletown Brewery just across the Fox River. The hotel is part of the KI Convention Center.

Overall, our experience was very good, but the Hotel Sierra still has a few kinks to work out.

• Liked — Free high-speed Internet, free made-to-order breakfast
  • Disliked — No drawers in rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt on Main? Share your experiences!