“Tasty but Inconsistent” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Tasty but Inconsistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We made 2 trips, One in February, One in March.

On the first trip we had the Pulled Chicken sandwich and the Grilled Pork & Cheese sandwich. We both had Door County Cherry Cheesecake for dessert.

The Pulled Chicken was served on a pretzel roll, melt-in-your mouth delicious! At the advice of the bartender I ordered a side of the hot wing sauce to accompany it and It turned out to be an excellent recommendation. The Alabama white sauce comes standard on the side and I'm still not sure if I like it, it was runny and was like someone mixed mayo and vinegar and that was it. By ordering the hot wing sauce, it made up for the disappointment in the white sauce.

The Grilled Pork & Cheese was just okay... It was good but you could barely taste the blue cheese and the sour dough bread was, eh. The meat seemed a little skimpy when compared to the size of my Pulled Chicken. We'd probably not order that one again.

The cheesecake claims to be the best. Period. Pretty hefty claim. I'm a cheesecake junkie and this was 7 bucks a slice. How would this compare? Pretty dang good. Homemade crust, delicious and buttery beneath a genuine slab of rich, dense cheesecake. The slices were topped with 7 or 8 port wine cherries. Not too sweet. My only complaint was it was a little small for the price but still well worth ordering. It left me wanting for more.

Second trip I again ordered the Pulled Chicken and my 17-year-old ordered the Beef Brisket Reuben. We had Deep-fried Pickles for an appetizer and I again had the cheesecake for dessert.

The pickles were tasty. The Alabama white sauce was better this trip and the pickles were tart and flavorful. For 6 bucks, I think it could have been a bigger serving, I think we got 7 chips. I've had them elsewhere(Texas Roadhouse) for cheaper and you get much more. They wer good here but not worth 85 cents each.

My chicken was sad this time :( Instead of being melt-in-your-mouth juicy, It was as if someone had taken the chicken and pressed all the juice out of it before placing it on the bun. The meat was dry and disappointing and even the sauces didn't help.

My kid had the Beef Brisket Reuben and it was the highlight of the trip. It was delectable and juicy, topped with tender-crisp cabbage. You don't need to have teeth to eat this sandwich, it disintegrates in your mouth with a whirlwind of flavor. My kid said BEST reuben EVER. The one bite I took, I can attest to that. I'm looking forward to having that our next trip.

The cheesecake this trip bummed me out. Again, another slightly undersized slice but this time only 2 cherries? What the heck? Cherry cheesecake with 2 cherries? I felt cheated. I'm not sure if the waitresses are the ones who prep the cheesecake but if you are going to bill it as best cheesecake period, you better instruct the prep team as to what constitutes the "best cherry cheesecake". I would never pay this kind of money for it based on the second trip.

The service both trips was typical and ordinary. Nothing to complain about but nothing that stood out as extraordinary. The bar staff was exceptional though, making suggestions and describing the food in advance helped our dining experience.

Both trips had above average and below average food experiences. We shall see what future trips hold. I give them a 3 right now, easily a 4 if they can get their inconsistencies fixed and get the portions a little more in line with the prices. Just a few tweaks and Atlas BBQ could be THE place to eat in Grafton.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukee
“Great BBQ restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have been there twice and both times I received great friendly service and amazing food. I recommend the Pulled Pork Q-wiches that is on a pretzel bun and the best side dish is the mac and cheese (this is a most) so delicious. Prices are very good!

• Visited February 2013
Grafton, Wisconsin
“Love this place....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been to Atlas now on a few occasions, and have to say that each I've gone they only have gotten better. Between the food and service it has become my favorite place in the area. The atmosphere is not too bad either - great beer selection and bourbon (of course).

A must for anyone residing or visiting the area!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Merrill,WI.
“Top Notch BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

WOW!!!!
Great BBQ. The burnt ends and fried pickles to start with GREAT. Baby back ribs and pulled pork GREAT. I have had BBQ in many places and Atlas gets my best review for BBQ. Try all the sauces ( the north is the best ) have a piece of TRUE Key Lime pie for dessert. The wine and beer list are also great.
This is MOST TRY if you like BBQ and even more so if you have not ever tried it. It is always good to start with the best and Atlas is right up there with the best.

• Visited January 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“My Favorite BBQ Joint!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've had BBQ around town (Milwaukee) and various spots in the South and I have to say Atlas is my favorite! Service has been attentive, but I barely even notice it since I'm too busy licking my fingers and hoping I can find room in my tummy for all of our food! The portions are a nice size and the dishes I seem to keep on ordering time and time again are the fries (seasoned well and the sauce is awesome), the beans (way better than something from a can), the fried pickles (and I don't normally like fried pickles), the brisket (heavenly) and the pulled pork. The fried chicken is great too along with the Reuben, but I'm hoping one of these times I can hold off my cravings for the brisket so I can try the salmon or another sandwich! I love that their sauces and items are all homemade, right down to the pickles. My husband also loves the 3 Sheeps local beer they have on tap. A must try! I also appreciate the variety of items on the menu. Not your typical BBQ fare. Definitely worth the wait! BBQ heaven!

• Visited December 2012