“Great Vallue!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glendale
SAINT PAUL
“Great Vallue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Good News: Good value for the price. Lots of room for dogs to play on grass lot across from the parking lot. Next to industrial so very quiet the weekend we were there. Excellent location - right down the street from huge mall, close to entrance ramps to freeways, one block from road to Lake Shore Drive. etc. Decent continental breakfast. Very helpful staff. Really comfortable bed.
Bad News: Just that the bathrooms were tiny as were the towels. But, that's about the only thing that was disappointing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

****Warning Sept. 2010****** I strongly urge everyone not to stay here!!!! I am sitting here in the hotel and am very upset. We are here with a girls high school tennis team. I am a parent of one of the kids. A couple of the girls in Room 124 said they had been bitten by something last night. One of the girls had caught one of the bugs and squished it - it popped. I looked on the pillow and there was a red-brown spot . I went in search of bedbugs. We tore the bed apart. There in the folds of the fitted sheet we saw something that looked like an apple seed. It was moving. We were able to capture it. It definitely is a bedbug. CDC and EPA recently issued a joint statement about the significant public health threat posed by bedbugs. Name of document is "Joint Statement on Bed Bug Control in the United States from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)".

We will now have to wash all clothes immediately upon return and vaccuum out all luggage, backpacks, etc.

When we went on-line and found a review from August about bedbugs, we were furious. We will be trying to speak with the manager next.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
WEST CHESTER
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We had an upgraded king room for our two-day stay. It was clean, spacious, and comfortable as we expect from a LaQuinta. Our only complaint was that the free breakfast was not up to LaQuinta's usual standard. Waffles stuck to the aging waffle iron, and there was no spray. The attendant did a poor job of keeping food out, as a result of which some breakfast items that should have been out on the counter were unavailable at any given time. This was true both mornings we were there. There were no sweet rolls or muffins--ever. To get hot water for my oatmeal I had to go into the supplies closet.The hotel is located next to an industrial building of some kind, not in a shopping or restaurant area--which did not matter to us but might to some other travelers.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Several rooms we had our employees staying at had bed bug. Would seem that the managment knew they had an issue before we ever got there. The hotel was not very helpful in finding other accomidations or forth coming with a refund unless pressed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Ocala, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

We picked this hotel in part because our first choice was booked, but also because it was pretty cheap for a good location ($60 for a king room, with AARP discount). I booked online on lq.com and accidentally booked our two rooms for the night of the 23rd instead of the 22nd. I have no idea how I managed that but I was informed of this when I tried to check in. The woman at the front desk was very busy with the phone ringing off the hook and a line of guests waiting in the lobby. She said she did have two rooms for us after all and overrode the rate to the AARP discount I had been quoted online. I thanked her and got my stuff and headed to our room on the second floor.

The room appeared to be in good shape, it looked like it had been updated with paint and a new style. The sink was right there next to the front door, which I thought was kind of weird, and the shower and toilet were in an alcove to the left. The first thing I did was turn the air on (it was set on 65). I decided to take a bath while waiting for my husband to get back from dinner with colleagues but when I went in there, there was no plug for the drain. I checked the second room we had and that room also did not have a plug. There were cigarette burns on the sides of both tubs, although the hotel is now non-smoking per Wisconsin law. The hotel did smell a little bit like smoke but the law was only two days old when we arrived. As an ex-smoker, it didn't bother me too much.

Anyway, I ended up shoving one of my socks into the drain so I could take a bath. After I got out, it was still somewhat stuffy in the room so I double checked the thermostat and put the curtains up away from the wall unit air conditioner. It was blowing cool air but the room never cooled down the whole time we were there. It made it a little uncomfortable to sleep and to move about getting ready in the morning but being from Florida, it wasn't as uncomfortable as it could have been.

I turned the TV on and wanted to watch something on MTV but the TV only got 26 channels. One of them was Showtime, but they didn't get a lot of the normal channels. That was kinda crappy. Sounds minor but when you're in a hotel with really nothing to do, it's nice to be able to watch your shows and have some semblance of normality. The wifi took awhile to start working for both me and my husband, so that was also annoying.

The breakfast buffet was a little lackluster. There was apple and orange juice, a few cereals, a waffle maker, muffins, yogurt, coffee, oranges and bagels. There was no cream cheese for the bagels and they were out of apples (according to the employee working the breakfast buffet).

At checkout, my friend (who was paying for the rooms) informed the manager of my air conditioner not working and when I got down there, he asked if I had called and reported it. I told him no because I'm from Florida and am acclimated to the heat, it wasn't horrible, just uncomfortable. I honestly didn't report that or the plug missing from the bathroom because I didn't want to bother the hotel clerk who was already more busy than she could handle. The front desk staff in the morning was nice, and I had a little note from them saying good morning when we checked out. The woman who was there when I checked in was nice enough to give us the rate I had been quoted but didn't really seem nice other than that (I smiled at her every time I walked in and out of the lobby and she kind of gave me a weird look).

Overall, the area itself is good and safe but I would not stay there again because of the stupid little things I discussed. I think I went in with reasonable expectations, considering the price point, but I was disappointed. I would not recommend this unless you truly only need a place to sleep and aren't afraid to speak up about problems with the room.

Oh yeah, all La Quinta hotels allow dogs of any kind, and I did hear dogs barking/yapping in the hallways a couple times. This was not bothersome to me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

While the facility is average enough--although cleanliness is often subpar--I had repeated problems with reservations being lost and rates being changed. I would not recommend staying at this facility unless you want to deal with lots of frustration.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Plano, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Nothing exciting here, but one doesn't want excitement when staying at an airport La Qunita.

The room was fine for maybe a better than average budget choice. Standard amenities, very clean, no adjoining room noise - what more do you want?

We left too early in the morning to make use of the complimentary van to the nearby airport, but they did drop us off at the nearby Park 'n Ride lot to Summerfest. Since we weren't there too late, they also picked us up on our return - since it was free, it would be ungracious of me to mention we had to wait for a bit though.

A good budget choice.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn Milwaukee Glendale Hampton Ave? Share your experiences!