“Antique Charm and Local Flavor” 4 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort Atkinson
Lamp Post Inn
408 S. Main Street, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538   |
Bloomingdale, Illinois
“Antique Charm and Local Flavor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband, 11 year-old daughter, and I stayed at the Lamp Post Inn for a few nights at the same time that Prof.D. was there with his wife. (I met him and can vouch that his review here is genuine.)
Mike and Debbie are the consummate hosts. I don't see where they get the energy to take such beautiful care of their house, yard, and guests, and still be active in the community.
If you love antiques and wonderful, fresh, creative breakfasts, this B&B is for you. And Mike makes a mean root beer float for hot afternoons.
If you can't stand cramped quarters (every surface is covered with wonderful things to discover), or if you must have a stand-up shower, then it's not for you. Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend it for young kids, because you'd have to watch them every second so they wouldn't break something (although Mike and Debbie would probably welcome them with open arms as they're so kind).
For my 11 year-old it was perfect. To the chagrin of my husband, who likes to set off early, she and I spent several mornings dressing up in the many vintage dresses, wraps, hats, costume jewelry, etc. (some of which I imagine may have been used at the Fireside dinner theatre). There are fascinating old magazines to peruse, and a Victrola and pump organ to play.

Activities in the surrounding area:
We skipped the highly recommended show at the Fireside because of the cost, opting instead for: strolling the beautiful restored prairie at nearby Lake Mills's Korth Park, where we began our...: bike-riding on the Glacial Drummond Trail - prairie, forest, and a few farms all the way west to Deerfield; canoeing and kayaking the Bark River - meandering and peaceful through farmland - with rental/transport from Two Rivers Bicycle and Outdoor in Fort Atkinson.
We also had a lovely swim at Sandy Beach, which also has a boat launch and beach cafe (Lake Mills), great coffee at Beauty and the Bean (Fort A.), and several very good meals at area restaurants: Try: Cafe Carpe and the Stage Coach Inn (supper club) - both in Ft. A.; the Water House cafe/bistro and El Mariachi in Lake Mills; and Wedl's burger/ice-cream stand in Jefferson.
Like much of rural America, the Fort Atkinson area is in an economic slump, but if you look closely you'll find a nice farmers' market (local sausages, cheeses, popsicles, etc.), an excellent local history/culture museum (Hoard), and a fascinating state park of the Mississippian culture with native american mounds (Aztalan in Lake Mills). And if you like bacon, don't forget the Jones Dairy Farm Store for great porky things at a bulk price (Ft. A.).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

2 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife was performing at the FireSide Dinner Theatre and I needed a place close by cast housing. I called up the Lampost Inn and spoke to Debbie and explained that we couldn't bear to be apart for that long. Because we were there an extended time, Mike, her husband gave us a great rate and they threw in a couple breakfasts. When we got there we dropped by to introduce ourselves and though there was a place half the price for the amount of time we stayed, It was like staying with family. The crazy part is that they didn't charge extra for my wife to stay the whole time and so we just stayed there for the majority of the run. The house is an amazingly maintained antique museum. The grounds are like a lush botanic garden with a cherry tree and grapes in summer. The food was creative, fresh and delicious. Our room on the second floor off the sitting room was large and often times we had the whole top floor to ourselves. Debbie and Mike cut and arranged fresh flowers from the yard in our room every three days or so. Our bathroom was AMAZING. Jacuzzi tub for two with candles and seashells (crazy romantic ;) and a shower as well. We had our own separate entrance to come and go as we pleased, wifi and a screened back porch with outlets that we could watch Netflix on the laptop when we wanted. The location is central and we could walk to everything if we didn't want to drive. They have parking off the street and great neighbors that we all became accustomed to hearing them greet us by name. Rabbits are everywhere throughout the yard in this area, it is a beautiful place with beautiful people. I would often get a plate of food whipped out infront of me or an invitation to dinner with Mike and Debbie. My wife and I felt completely at home and welcomed in ways that family shows love like the time I was invited to their family cookout while my wife was performing.

My only complaint was that we left too soon.

If you are staying in the FT Atkinson area for the FireSide or are looking for a weekend getaway in the areas surrounding Madison, there's no place like home except Grandma & Grandpa's house.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lamp Post Inn? Share your experiences!