“Pay extra to stay somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Atkinson
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Pay extra to stay somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My aunt booked this hotel because it was next door to the Fireside. My mother, sister and I stayed one additional night in Fort Atkinson but we stayed at the Holiday Inn. Wow, what a difference. I can usually overlook the bads if the customer service is good. Well, that wasn't the case here. We checked in around 4:45pm and no one was at the desk. Ok, fine. We rang the bell...still no one. We then picked up the courtesy phone and the phone in the office just rang and rang...still no one. I thought ok I will call the hotel to see if anyone is here or if we have to go around the desk and check ourself in. Still no one picked up the phone. We sat in the lobby for about 10 minutes before anyone came. Finally someone came...no apologies for this...nothing. The front desk was extremely rude as though we had interupputed him and an inconvenience to him. Then my aunt checked in and had called when she made the booking and made sure that she had joining nonsmoking rooms. Well, guess what...they didn't have those rooms for her. Instead he put the party in two SMOKING rooms next to each other. Again, no apologies...felt as though it was somehow our fault. Our room was well, definitely, definitely nothing special. We walked in and the room smelled awful. We walked over to the other side of the hotel to see our other parties room and their "non-smoking" rooms smelled HORRIBLE!! And to top it off, the hotel had a lit candle in the room as though the smell of the candle would somehow mask the smell of years of smokers...
The beds were well...gross. The mattress pad was missing...you could see the actual bed through the fitted sheet. And then to find hairs on your bed...just not right. The outside doors also don't lock...anyone could walk right into the hotel...not an extremely safe feature.
I really can't express our disappointment in this hotel. Again, had the service been even adequate...maybe we would have felt differently but it wasn't.
Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else. The rate at this hotel is cheap for a reason...at the same time $60/night is still too much to stay here.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
courtyardinn, manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
Unfortunately this guest did have to wait to check in and when she had made her reservation she was told if accomodations were available for adjoing rooms she would have them, again, when we make reservations we can't always check to see if the 2 sets of adjoining rooms that we have are available and on this date, we had 3 reservations requesting adjoining rooms and it was a matter of first come, first serve and as far as smoking or non-smoking rooms, we ran out of non-smoking rooms and we did try to freshen up the room but we know too that is it difficult to do. There is no excuse for not being apologized to for having to wait for someone to check you in and to this guest I myself, apologize for this mistake in manners and I hope the guest gives us another chance as we do try to accomodate everyone but sometimes it is just impossible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with friends for a wedding. It was a hot and humid August day and there was no air conditioning on and someone was vacuuming while we were trying to check in and had to repeat ourselves multiple times because the front desk attendant did not speak English very well. We brought our bags in the side door nearest to our room and there was a wheelbarrow of garbage sitting outside the door not to mention some sort of anti-freeze looking pool of liquid next to the side walk. Luckily there was air conditioning in the room but the non-smoking room reeked like smoke and the curtains didn't shut.

If that was it, it would have been bareable but I ended up getting charged twice for the room and no one who worked during the day could help me. I had to e-mail the president/general manager who proceeded to tell me that they offer a gift certificate in these circumstances. I'm still trying to get this resolved! DO NOT STAY HERE, IT IS CHEAP FOR A REASON!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
On the day of this person's stay we did have an air conditioning problem and were waiting for repair person to get to property, as for garbage and spill by door I could't really say for sure if it was there but I know it isn't there now. Also we have smoking rooms and unfortunately even though we clean the non smoking rooms, if they are near a smoking room the smell gets into the room despite our best efforts to stop it. We are working to stop that by going completely smoke free in 2010. As fas as getting charged twice, if that did happen we would have refunded money, there may have been some misunderstanding here somewhere. If this person would contact us I'm sure we could take care of the problem.
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I traveled to the Fort Atkinson area on short notice, and booked the only non-smoking room I could find online at a well-known chain hotel. Their rate of $150 per night was excessive, so at first opportunity, I shopped the area.

I found Americas Best Value Inn. I was quoted a rate of $60 without asking for AAA or AARP discount, and the manager was happy to show me a room at 08:30. Since he had a clean room at that hour, he rented it to me then, ignoring his 2 p.m. check-in time. I moved out of the other hotel and was installed at ABVI in two hours.

While not new, the hotel is well-kept inside and my bed couldn't have been more comfortable. The grounds could look better, but landscaping/sod-laying work was in progress during my stay, so expect that to improve. The room included fridge, microwave oven, in-room coffeepot and wireless internet access, as well as a continental breakfast of juice, coffee, toast/bagel/muffin/doughnuts, fruit and cereal. The location is about a mile South of downtown Fort Atkinson with it's Hoard Historical Museum and National Dairy Shrine Museum, and closer still to the route 26 bypass. Jefferson is about eight minutes away.

All in all, this property is a very good value and the owners are friendly and accommodating. A few miles away you can get a chain hotel with a hot breakfast and a Jacuzzi for 2.5 times the price. I'll stick with ABVI.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Hudson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We were in town for the State Marching Band competition and had called the day before to confirm our reservation. The day of, we called to let them know that we would be checking in late, around 11:00-11:30pm. When we arrived, the clerk gave us our keys and we thought everything was fine. After not being able to get into the room with the key, we went back to the clerk and she rekeyed it. We got back to the room and tried again when all of a sudden someone opened the door from the inside! Another clerk had put someone in our
reserved room. There weren't any other rooms available at this hotel and because of the band event, no other hotels had rooms either. The clerk could not refund our credit card at that time (she did not have
a pass code for this) so we needed to call the manager the next day to make sure our credit card was not charged. At that point, we just ended up driving home that night (300 miles). When I called the manager the next day, she did not even offer an apology!

• Disliked — Poor organization--can not hold a reservation
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
I was not manager at the time this review was written so I cannot say what guest said happened that night was right or wrong. All I can say is that I would not like that happening to me either. I would also hope it would not happen again and since I have been here it has not. Please, try us again, under new management.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson? Share your experiences!