“Consumer Warning: False Advertising & Horrible Conditions” 2 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1225 Janesville Avenue, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538-2701   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fort Atkinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Consumer Warning: False Advertising & Horrible Conditions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

After researching hotels in the Fort Atkinson, WI area I decided to book a room at the America's Best Value Inn as they had a King Size Jacuzzi Suite available and that's what I was looking for. As advertised on the ABVI's website and on hotels.com was a room with a King Size bed and a jacuzzi. To call this a "suite" is a big stretch of the imagination, but that's another issue. When I checked in and entered the room, lo and behold there was NOT a King size bed, but, rather, a Queen size bed (and a HORRIBLE one that had a 1 foot sink hole in the middle). I worked in the bedding industry for 12 years and know without a doubt the difference in sizes. And yet I measured it just to make sure (80 x 60 is a Queen). I spoke with the General Manager about this and said I feel like I'm being bait & switched as I paid for and legally agreed to a room that was explicitly advertised as having a King size bed in it. The GM told me that they do not have any rooms that have both a King size bed and a jacuzzi in them. He then lied to me and said the bed was "actually a little bigger than a queen" and when I told him I measured it and worked in the bedding industry he tried to steer the conversation to blaming "Expedia" for some reason. This is false advertising and taking money without providing what was agreed upon in the contract. The GM overall seemed more interested in blaming "Expedia" and the former owner of the hotel for the condition of the hotel.

About the condition of the hotel....oh boy. My room was dirty, dusty, dead insects were found behind the fridge, strange glittery decorative plastic plants were oddly hanging in the room, filthy & full of dust. I'm not sure if that was intentional or just left over from a previous guest and they didn't bother to clean the room. The TV armoire was dangerous, not secured to the wall as is legally required and nearly fell over just by opening the doors. All of the furnishings in the room were in horrible condition, filthy, stained, and dangerous. A lamp was set atop the TV armoire and nearly fell on my head upon opening the doors. Again, a serious code violation. The toilet was not bolted securely to the ground --risk of injury, there was no hot/cold indicator on the sink --risk of burning injury, and the exterior doors were all UNLOCKED and BROKEN 24 hours a day! Anyone could have walked in to the hotel at any point without a key. UNSAFE. The GM's response to that was "we've never had anyone robbed and if we did we would deal with it" and also that they couldn't do anything about the doors because "they didn't have the monies and the last owner left the hotel in bad shape." The GM seemed more interested in sitting and chatting in the lobby with his family members then actually working and running the hotel.

Posted throughout the hotel are various signs from the management essentially blaming the customers for why the hotel was in such disrepair and threatening people that if they didn't stop taking too much food to eat in the morning they would have to raise the rents. The hotel computer for guests to use had a sign that warned that you could only use it to check emails or get directions and nothing else. There was a sign that said there was no smoking near any of the (unsafe, unlocked, broken) doors or else there would be a $500 fine and yet this was NEVER enforced as smokers smoked right by the doors and that lovely death haze came right in to the hallways because the DOORS ARE BROKEN AND UNLOCKED.

The only positive thing I could say is that this hotel is right next to the famous Fireside Theater so you can use it as a landmark when driving into town.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and will never stay here ever again. I predict that the hotel will leave a reply saying something like "sorry, wish you would have told us" [which I did but was told it was "Expedia's fault"] "we don't have the monies to fix things and the past owners left us with this mess."

Yea. It's someone else's fault.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
I'm sorry you felt we had false advertising because we do not. We have several online websites selling our rooms plus we sell them over the phone or by people walking in. We try very hard to give everyone the room they request on line but sometimes it just doesn't work. The room you were given past fire code inspection this spring and there has never been a complaint about that room in the past. I'm sorry you weren't happy with your stay. Hope to see you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wheeling, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This hotel was very clean but it feels old and tired. Beds were good. Breakfast was standard continental. I was there for a school reunion andfollowed by a work trip so very convenient. Price was good. Might stay there again if I needed to be there but it could really do with a redo!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, we appreciate all comments. We are trying to redo the old décor but have to do as money is available. Please come see us again. Thank You again. Manager
Freeport, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel is dirty to start with, a ledge in the bathroom still had hairs on it from a previous person, the security doors do not lock EVER, we stayed next to a door and asked about them and was told they have not work for years but we have never had a break in and if we have one we will deal with it. I tried to get extra blankets for my kids and the General Manager who I talked with at the desk complained about if he has to give a extra blankets out to me then he has to give them out to 120 other people and that cost a lot of money to clean. The hot tub was also broken during my stay. The next day I complained about the doors, the dirty room and asked for a refund for the next night we booked and he refused, we then just packed up and went to the Holiday Inn Express for more money but were much happier. I would avoid this hotel if possible, it was a terrible stay. The city of Ft. Atkinson itself was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel even if it cost a little more, well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Sorry you did not enjoy your stay and you felt unsafe. We have never had anyone try to break into any room and we have looked into repairing outside door locks but the expense was more than we can afford right now. We are trying to get this hotel back in shape after is was neglected for several years by previous owners. It is a work in progress and if you had told us about the room being dirty upon check in and were worried about your safety, we would have changed your room. Hope you will give us another chance. (And yes, extra blankets are available but limited as we don't have a lot of inventory.)
Wausau, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

When we got to the room the TV remote was nowhere to be found. Looking around it was easy to see that the room had not been vacuumed or mopped. Several scrapes of paper and bits of snack chip were seen that a vacuum would have picked up. The furniture also needed dusting. Under the bed, don't think it ever got cleaned. It also caused us to notice that the mattress was quite dirty. It took three trips form staff to get a remote that only changed channels. No apology was ever offered. It did not work the volume or on/off on this "vintage" TV. This place needs major upgrades and a lot more attention to cleaning. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
I want to thank you for letting us know that the room was not clean, we try our best to inspect every room after it has been cleaned but sometimes, time doesn't allow but that is still no excuse for getting a dirty room. I also apologize for the remote problem. We are replacing all TV's with flat screens but it is a costly project and we can't do all rooms at one time due to fact business has been slow this past winter and we have many expenses in running a hotel. Also, we have been having problems with remotes we received from cable company after they went to all digital cable. Some of those remotes will not work properly with our older TV's. I hope you will come back and give us another chance.
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The check-in was fast and easy. Room was very average, older television set, bed linens all had a hand-written"D" in the corner (at first I thought someone used a Sharpie and wrote on it, but now I think it was the hotel marking their property), very loud shower. Nice hot water in the shower/bath. The front desk staff was less than concerned about problems we had with the room. The family across the hall allowed their children to use the hallway as their person race track for hours. The four of us had been given hand-towels for the shower. Many of the other rooms in our party had similar problems. The continental breakfast was average. Make your own waffles, cereals, processed sweets, bagels (only one slot of the toaster worked), boiled eggs, fresh fruit and yogurt if you are early, bland coffee with powdered creamer and quartered pasties didn't make the stay any better. When I observed the manager catch (and repeatedly scold) a man trying to take two cups of coffee back to his room at 7am, I decided saving a couple of bucks was not worth it. The poor guy only wanted to take his wife breakfast. He didn't have a picnic basket! However the sign did say it was against their rules!.

Room Tip: It sounded as if some of the rooms may have been updated/modernized. I would definitely ask!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I am sorry your room was not clean. There is no excuse for an unclean room. We do check rooms after housekeepers are done and if we missed some, that is not acceptable. We try to make sure all rooms are cleaned and stocked properly. Yes, several are rooms have been updated and we are working on the rest. This hotel was in bad shaped when I took over and we redecorate and paint when money allows. There are many repair cost to getting a hotel updated that hasn't been cared for properly for several years and that is what has faced us since day 1. Again, I apologize for you and your friends not having a clean and comfortable stay and I want to thank you for letting us know. I hope you will give us another try.
Aberdeen, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Pool broken. Outlets broken. Bed stained. Light bulbs a nice 40 watts. Toilet small. Caulking in bathroom cracked and moldy. Shower head with black gunk. Both rooms the same. Good location. Probably better off with longer drive for better value.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and you did not find the room clean. We try to be thorough when checking the rooms but sometimes we get interrupted and we miss things and for that I do apologize, we should go back and recheck room and we will. As for the pool, we had a major mechanical failure and we had to wait for part and for professional to install it. However, pool and hot tub are now up and in good shape. We hope you will come back and give us another chance.
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I made an error in my reservation but when I contacted the hotel - the Manager - Pat was extremely willing to help me correct my error! I work in a Customer Service job and really appreciate when I am able to experience exceptional customer service and when an individual goes above the expected to help the customer feel they are important! They easily could have just told me it was my mistake but instead they helped me to make it right!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks. We do try to help everyone whenever possible and at times we know guest do make a mistake when doing on line reservations. If we can catch it as, unknowingly, I did with you, we do try to work things out so both sides are happy. Looking forward to seeing you in March. Pat, manager

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson? Share your experiences!