“WARNING - TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION Talk to them at your own risk!!” 1 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1225 Janesville Avenue, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538-2701   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Fort Atkinson
Sebeka, Minnesota
“WARNING - TERRIBLE COMMUNICATION Talk to them at your own risk!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was looking for a hotel reservation recently for my husband's business trip to this area. To make a really long story short they made a reservation after I had told them not to do so. My credit card was charged and when I called them to find out how this happened, I was treated to disdain, laughter, told that I was lying (because they would never do such a thing) and that I was a crybaby. They said that perhaps they could give me a free one nights stay but we will not ever be going to that area again so that was no good to me - plus I had looked at the other reviews and did not want to take any chances. Yikes! To finish matters off, while I was still on the phone with them I was told they had another call and they hung up. Nice! I would never recommend this hotel. The manager/staff have zero people skills. The manager speaks very poor English and I personally think he uses that as an excuse to treat people poorly.

I normally would never take the time to write a review but I am making an exception in this case. I will also be contacting the ABVI headquarters. Yes, they were really that bad.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
courtyardinn, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Guest: I am sorry you felt you were being thought of as a liar and cry baby, that was not my opinion at all. There was a definite misunderstanding here somewhere and as I explained on the phone, you were not hung up on, the gentleman you were speaking to told you he had several guest to check in and he would call you back. Again I apologize if you felt you were being mistreated. Sincerely Pat Krakow

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I normally love ABVI but this is by fast the worst place I've ever been to. The staff would not honor the value club prices and told us there were no rooms available for the club upgrades, but when hubby called they had king and king suites available for the night. Wifi would not work unless you were sitting next to the front desk. The managers/staff do not speak comprehensible english. When I asked if we could possibly check out after two hours and pay a prorated price I was flat out told no way. Then while I was undressing to take a shower the front desk man came walking right into my room without even knocking!!! I'm female and this is disturbing considering the hotel was filled with children. I will be contacting BBB and the corporate office

• Stayed October 2012
I am sorry you were not pleased with how you were treated when you stayed with us. We try to give our customers the best possible experience we can, when we fail, we are disappointed also. There is no excuse for anyone walking into your room without knocking and I am truly sorry that happened. As for the Value Club Card, I do not know what rate you paid but if it wasn't the rack rate, the value club card is not valid. Any discount--such as AAA or AARP or senior discount the value card is not valid therefore an upgrade is not valid also. Our rack rate is $85.00 any thing less than that is considered a discount and value club card is not valid.
Dubuque, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We recently booked rooms at this hotel online. When booking, I accidentally entered the wrong expiration date for my credit card. The hotel contacted me by email telling me of the mistake and that if I didn't fix it our reservation would be canceled. I called and the man I spoke with, who was very hard to understand, told me that I had to modify the credit card information online. I went on the website and there was no way to make that modification. I called him back and he gave me an 800 number to call and modify the number. I called this number and was told it was taken care of. At this point, I was very happy with the customer service received. However, when we arrived, the same man told me that he rented our rooms to someone else, because I had not fixed the problem. He was very RUDE to me. I showed him proof that I had called, but he kept telling me that he didn't care. If he would have simply said, I am sorry for the misunderstanding can I give you some numbers for a nearby hotel, I would have understood. However, he was an absolute jerk and if I could give this hotel a zero instead of a one I would have. Find another hotel if possible!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry you felt you were being mistreated by the staff at our hotel. I assure you that this will not happen again. As far as your reservations, I know I sent two emails to you asking you to get us new expiration date. We, too, had contacted the corporate office reservation office to see if they had received any new info and we were told they had not received any info to modify the reservation. I do not know why this modification was not made and forwarded to us. We, also, tried to call you several times the day before but we were unable to leave a message. I do not know why the gentlemen didn't give you a number to neighboring hotels unless you didn't ask. We don't make a practice of sending people to other hotels.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The place used to be nice but in the last few years has become run down.
Room was dirty- hair on the bathroom floor- mold on the tub.
Free breakfast -HA - a banana was the safest choice.
Find a better place to stay

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I am sorry you were not satisfied with you recent stay with us. We strive to give our guest the best possible experience that we can and when we fail, we are disappointed also. We hope you will give us another chance.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went through our savings driving back and forth for his new job from Milwaukee...and we couldn't do it anymore. My kids and I were suffering because we had to stay in the parking lot of his work. We turned to St Vincent de Paul and they helped us with a week at this hotel until my hubby gets paid. Its mediocre at best, but we have been treated poorly. Jay and his wife give my children and I looks as if we are an intrusion, or from a third world existence. We shouldn't be treated this way just because we needed assistance.

• Stayed September 2012
We are very sorry if we gave you the impression that we thought less of you because you were getting help from St. Vincents. We take in guest from St. Vincents all the time and we do not treat them any differently then anyone else who is staying there. We know how hard this economy has been and that we all need help sometimes. Again, we Jay and Smita, truly apologize if we gave you the impression that we didn't want you here.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

They were the cheapest price in town, also the cheapest period. The grounds were terrible, they are lacking rain here this summer, but somehow the weeds can grow to 14", cut your grass! Upon check in we were informed the hot tub was not working, not a big deal as it was 85 deg this weekend. We were on the second floor, so up the stairs we go, it stunk very bad in the stairs, like BO, very nasty. When we get to the hallway there are ocillating fans there and it is like 95 deg in the hall, no the a/c units in the hallway don't work. The room a/c works but isn't on when we get inside, room was clean and acceptable. We get back to the hotel around 11:30 pm and none of the outside entrance doors are locked, not a high crime area at all, but I lock my house doors and we live out in the sticks, just don't want people wandering around. We were woken up at 1am by the smoke detector beeping due to a low battery, we told the front desk about it it in the morning but it was still beeping when we came back later that day, I took care of it... we woke up at 5:30 to a well lit room, the drapes were closed, but did not stop much of the morning sun from coming in.
The breakfast sucked! I could have stayed home if I wanted cheap donuts, stale cereal and a bagel, do yourself a favor if you must stay here, plan on going down the road for breakfast.

I will not stay here again, nor do I reccomend it to anyone.

Until the owners put some money into this hotel to bring it back to a decent condition, there will be less and less people staying with them.

• Stayed July 2012
We are sorry that your experience with us was not good. I do not know from what part of the country you came from but as you were obviously aware, we had not had any rain for quite some time and unfortunately we could not mow the lawn for fear of killing the grass totally. The heat was intolerable for several weeks and many of our air conditioners discontinued to work and because of this problem in many areas, replacement units were scarce and we had to wait several more weeks to get them. Also, we have never had anyone who wasn't staying here walk in and wonder the halls. To repair the key lock doors is a very expensive project and right now we are more concerned with the rooms and lobby. As for breakfast, it is a continental breakfast--not a full breakfast.
Grove City, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here one night while visiting family. Just from the outside, would not have stayed here if I knew there was a different hotel in the area. Weeds were in the "flower beds" and the outside did not look inviting at all. Once inside, I found the lobby a bit run down. The owners were in the breakfast area folding towels and sheets. The room was clean enough though. While at grocery store, saw owner in there buying next mornings free breakfast (danish). Breakfast was bagged donut holes, danish, cereal, and juice. Breakfast left us wanting more. Fitness room (placed in regular room across from their private quarters) had several pieces of out dated non working equipment. The pool was not easily accessed, and could use an update. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sorry your stay here was not good, we strive to give our guest the best possible experience we can and when we fail, we are disappointed too. We hope you will give us another chance to show you we are a good place to stay.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Fort Atkinson? Share your experiences!