“Very good food but pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hwy 67
“Very good food but pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Abbey so for the first night after arriving we ate at The Grill. I have some food intolerances and they were very helpful. I had a fish special with tilapia, flash fried spinach & risotto & my companion had the spinach salad with grilled chicken. The food was great. The views of the marine & grounds were very nice. However it was quite a pricey meal especially at the end when a scoop of vanilla ice cream cost us $6. I would suggest this as a treat for 1 meal while vacationing but not to try to eat there daily while at the resort.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lebanon, Tennessee
“Good service, good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very nice!!! Wonderful food on the outside patio, overlooking Lake Geneva.... What could be better!!!

Visited May 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Do not eat here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Prime rib at buffet was undercooked. They ran out of crab legs so we didn't get any. The baked potato bar was ok but the potato I had was undercooked. Totally over priced for the quality of food you will be served. The desserts tasted like they came straight from a box from the frozen food aisle.

Visited January 2013
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Nice Sunday brunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Everything that you desired it was there,starting with huge fresh shrimp,I absolutely enjoyed it,all kind of carved meat,eggs,fresh fruits,cheeses of all kinde,and of course the Mimosas,that was a nic touch also.Server was great,and the ambience very festive.

Visited November 2012
Wisconsin
“Every Dish a Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I had an anniversary dinner at the Fontana Grill inside The Abbey resort in Fontana, Wisconsin, on Geneva Lake. We visited on a Monday, a slow time for many restaurants in this area, particularly in the Fall after the main tourist season has come to an end; there were perhaps at most four other tables occupied. Neither the Fontana Grill or The Abbey's other restaurant, The Waterfront, are actually on the water front, which was a disappointment to my wife. We had a seat by the window which provides a view of the adjoining marina, still water but not what she had imagined. Just the way it is.

Anyway, we received a warm welcome by the staff, including a "Happy Anniversary" as we were seated -- when I called I had mentioned it was our anniversary and obviously a note had been made with the reservation; the server also mentioned it.

The menu changes periodically, from the appetizers to the main courses to the deserts. We enjoyed an appetizer of seared tuna sashimi - excellent. Following the appetizer we were served a palate cleanser, the name of which escapes me. Main courses came with either a salad or soup du jour. My wife had a wonderful green salad and I had crab bisque soup, which was simply outstanding. For dinner, my wife had baked salmon which she truly enjoyed. I had beef tenderloin with crimini mushrooms and pasta. Fresh steamed asparagus spears were on the side; best I've ever had. Several different types of breads and rolls were also served, along with a sweet butter and freshly made cheese spread that was smooth as butter. We were so full after finishing these courses that we had no room for any of the desert choices...but we ordered a piece of chocolate cake to take home with us for later; the slice was HUGE, drizzled with a raspberry source and topped with a dash of whipped cream and a flower garnish. Really a nice surprise when opening up the standard styrofoam container when we got home.

The cost for each of these main courses ran in the neighborhood of $25 each. If memory serves, the sashimi appetizer was $13. With a couple bottles of Pelligrino mineral water and tax (they comped the cake slice for our anniversary, nice touch!) the total tab came to about $85. Tip was on top of that, of course.

It was a very wonderful fine dining experience, although it was almost too much for us to eat. But what a great problem to have in this case! If you're looking for a top-notch food experience in the Lake Geneva area, make sure you check out the Fontana Grill inside The Abbey. You won't regret it.

• Visited October 2012