“Pricey but Nicey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Usa, Japan
“Pricey but Nicey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Well I took my girlfriend here as a surprise for her 30th birthday, and yes it is a wedding factory we had 3 in 2 days, but we hardly noticed them after the lawn cerimonies ( my girl just watched to see the dress'). and it was kind of nice. the Place is so big you hardly notice all the extra people around

I do recommend upgrading to a harbour view room, just nicer to sit on your patio and see the lake side rather then "resort views" of dark wooden structers. the rooms are very nice inside. the whole place has a "cruise ship " feel to it which I thought was nice. clean and bright with nice bathrooms. the bed itself was great , the pillows could use an upgrade (I recommed you bring your own)

The restaurants were great we ate at all 3 (being in the restaurant biz I had to check them all out and critique them) the porto is the most expensive at the top of the a frame building, the decoration and feel here was a little midevilish and gothic and a bit stuffy for my tastes,but different the staff was great there. and the food was very good . although the menu is a bit limited. portions were a bit smaller then I would prefer. great desserts. the other main dining option was the fontana grill which I thought was outstanding same great staff a tad less pricey and less formal (this where I will eat exclusivly next time) we also had snack and drinks at the waterfront a couple of times more great staff and fun to come back for live music at night.

We did have a spa package and I was very happy with the spa and all the services my girlfriend got were great, I just wish they had a flat screen in the mens spa there is nothing better then sitting in a hot tub and watching football, and maybe a cocktail service? but I enjoyed it while my girlfriend was getting all her treatments. then meeting in the coed pool and spa afterwards is nice. again more professional staff.

If your coming to stay here I recommend you take a half-day and drive to the other side of the lake to the city of lake geneva , great shops, lake front diners and you can take the guided lake tour.

All in all We had a great time at the resort, I dont know if it was because I bought every upgrade and option they had but every one was great that I dealt with ,from valet to concierge, spa folks, everyone. would highly recommend if you have a few extra bucks ( I spent about $1100.00 in 2 days for two people) will go back again.

• Liked — spa
  • Disliked — price
  • Tips/Secrets — buy the package deals
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

The rooms are lovely, but this place seems to be staffed by people who were popular in high school who think the rest of us are idiots. I even got that eye roll from a spa employee when I dared question her (wrong) interpretation of policy.

On check-in, the single desk clerk looked annoyed when he had to check more than one name for the reservation. But then again, the line was 10 people long and he was alone.

Sitting in the lobby on Saturday and Sunday mornings, waiting for the rest of our party, I enjoyed listening to the staff who would be calling in sick from drinking too much the night before.

The spa IS getting a make-over this winter, or so my manicurist Marianne told me... she was indeed charming.

On fine fall weekends, the Abbey is a wedding factory -- we saw five in 2 1/2 days. Not a particular problem, except for the drunks that tried to get in our room Friday night (we happened to be in the block of wedding party rooms.) Saturday night, the Fontana police arrived when the wedding reception on the lawn got too rowdy. For all this, we had a surprisingly quiet weekend.

But we expected more

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Abbey Resort & Spa

Abbey Wisconsin
Abbey Resort
Address: 269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125
Location: United States > Wisconsin > Fontana
Bar / Lounge Beach Beverage Selection Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Abbey Resort & Spa 3.5*
Escape to the lake at one of the Midwest's most iconic destinations. Whether you are vacationing on a girlfriends' getaway, business retreat, romantic escape or fun filled family vacation, The Abbey Resort brings you the best of the Lake Geneva experience. The Abbey Resort, on the shores of beautiful Lake Geneva, features 90 acres of manicured grounds. This Lake Geneva resort features lodge inspired accommodations with contemporary conveniences and facilities. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Venere, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Abbey Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Abbey Resort & Spa, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.