“Disappointing Bloody Mary bar” 3 of 5 stars

Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Downers Grove
“Disappointing Bloody Mary bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We went to The Abbey specifically for the live music and bloody mary bar on a Sunday, on our way home from a weekend get-away.
We were not interested in the extensive brunch offered...just in the "build your own bloody mary."
It was great that there was a piano player...the music was fabulous. He even pulled out this trumpet while tickling the ivory!
But we were disappointed in the scope of the bloody mary bar...didn't have nearly the condiments and accoutrements one would expect from a real bloody mary bar. A pickle, a few different types of olives, pearl onions...that was about it.
Will have to hit Bubba Gumps for a REAL bloody mary bar!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dood26,
Thank you for your review . I am disappointed to read that the build your own Bloody Mary bar was not as you had hoped. I have shared your comments with our restaurant manager so that they can address the matter. Thank you for your comments about our piano player. I will be sure to pass along your compliments. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This was a perfect stay after a day of skiing. We went with another family and had adjoining rooms. For the 2- 6 year old boys, it was great. This was a great stay for everyone. It wasn't so loud like you might get at a waterpark (which was what we were originally looking for, but it was sold out).

We played board games in the morning. It is set up beautifully, not in the lobby, but in its own space where you are comfortable talking normally, and not distracting to us or others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KSZAU,
Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort. I am delighted to read that your stay was perfect. Solarium Way, the area dedicated to family board games, is definitely a favorite for many and a great place for families to spend time together. We look forward to your return stay.
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was my second trip to the Abbey. I took my mother for a Spa Package back in December for her 65th birthday and was really spoiled by the staff. My husband and I went in late February as a special treat for Valentine's. We stayed on a Thursday night. I would highly recommend staying a week night for the sheer "quiet" and "romantic" experience. We loved the Spa and used the adults only pool, whirlpool and sauna. We stayed in Bldg 3 and it was an easy walk to the Spa in our robes (provided in room). The ambiance of the low lighting at evening in pool area is very nice. Helped us to relax after our 1.5 hour drive from home. The heat was already on in our room, so it was comfortable when we arrived. We stayed in a King Room (resort view) and the larger shower was nice, but no tub. We also got the Bed & Breakfast special and really enjoyed the overly sized portions of Denver Omelet and Blueberry Compote French Toast (6 slices!) the service was excellent in the Fontana Grill, thank you to our server, Julie and Mgr: Bill. While you are there, check out the solarium with board games, pretty neat place to relax with a game and get some sunshine. We really loved being pampered at the Abbey and will return.

Room Tip: get a room on the 2nd floor, esp during winter months. Better heating. Note - there are stairs every...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TravelM79
Thank you for your review. We value our repeat guests and I am pleased to hear that you once again had a wonderful stay. Thank you for your kind comments about our associates, Julie and Bill. I will be sure to pass along your comments to their managers. We look forward to welcoming back again soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went on a Sunday to get a massage at the Spa..it was a great girls day out..services were great and the staff was very friendly. The resort seemed very quiet but this time of year it is common. The only suggestion I would make would be to have to cocktail servers or a mini bar in the pool area in the spa because we would have definitely stayed for some mimosas but had to leave the property and head down to chucks to get a bloody

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
A trip advisor member,
Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. I am pleased to hear that you had such a relaxing day and found our staff to be very friendly. We do offer room service in the spa and are also enhancing our beverage offering and service. I apologize if that was not communicated to you. We look forward to your future return.
Now the Happy Bride! Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have been going to the Abbey for about 30 years. My parents owned a home in the closely located Abbey Springs neighborhood. When a friend set up a girls weekend at The Abbey for my 40th birthday I was curiously excited to see how it had grown up since I'd last been there before college.

It was a cold, snowy February evening so the valet was a much welcomed amenity. I wasn't looking forward to parking and traipsing across a snow filled parking lot. I arrived and was immediately welcomed by the gentleman working valet. I explained I was meeting a friend and he informed me she was waiting for me with a beer in the lobby already. Pretty impressive that on a Friday night check in he knew immediately who I was looking for when I said I was there for a girls weekend with a friend.

Sure enough he was right! She had already checked us in so it was off to the room we headed. It was interesting to see how much it had changed but in the same way kept all it's charm I'd remembered. With no shortness on new amenities added I was curiously checking things out along the way. I love that the Abbey is so group friendly. Everywhere you turn there's tables, couches, all sorts of nooks and crannies to gather without being in the middle of things.

We arrived at the room, walked in and it turned out to actually be a surprised girls weekend with several friends who I hadn't seen since high school graduation! I couldn't have asked for a better surprise. After hugs and tears the wine was poured. The rooms were very nice.Not what I'd categorize as luxurious but definitely clean, bright, functional and well laid out. We had 2 rooms and both had mini fridges and microwaves. Both rooms also were harbor view and had another door that lead directly outside so you actually have two ways to access your room, very handy. They have a ice rink set up with a campfire/s'mores pit next to it. Looked like fun but our plans were more indoor on this trip.

We headed out of our room in search of food and came across to dinning options. They have a nice dining room as well as a perfect for us bar/grill. Admittedly we were the louder group in the room and did endure some looks of disapproval from some other restaurant patrons but nothing too bad.Our waiter was fabulous and took great care of us. He bought me a birthday shot of my choice and took lots of group pics for us. We ate, drank and had a good time. After dinner we headed out to see what else was going on.

It was a pretty quiet evening but the piano bar seemed nice so we headed in there. Once again we endured looks, not sure why since we were actually very respectful of those in there already and the piano player. We found our way to a table. After it was clear there wasn't any waitress service on a Friday evening, odd, one of my friends headed up to the bar and ordered her and I a Patron shot (Patron silver is the only shot we both do, no other tequila). The shots were poured as she came back to the table to grab me to come up to the bar with her. Now I've been drinking legally for 19 years and drinking Patron Silver just as long and what we ordered and received was not Patron. It was clear (no pun intended) that the wrong tequila had been poured as soon as we both smelled the drink and saw the amber color of the tequila. Patron Silver is clear, this shot was most likely Cuervo 1800 and we assumed poured in error. We asked the bartender and she was pretty rude about it. She insisted it was correct and showed us the Patron bottle. We never doubted they had it, just that it was mis-poured by accident but she was insistent she never makes mistakes.. Instead of just pouring us new shots she kept up with her, I'm right and you are wrong attitude. This earned her a 0% tip instead of the almost 50% tip our restaurant waiter received. We've all worked in food service and are very good tipper, as such we expect at least good service. Miss Sour Puss at the bar needed to check her attitude. We did the shot, barely as we both choked after doing it and the taste CLEARLY gave away that it was in fact not Patron as we indicated. By then the bar tender had walked away and decided she was going to pretend we weren't there. We walked back to the restaurant bar a couple times for drinks and brought them back into the piano bar, each time the restaurant bartender earning a nice tip while the bartender in the bar we were in earned none.

After drinks at about midnight we headed back to our room for some sleep. The bed was comfy, we all slept like babies. The next morning we got up and headed to the buffet breakfast where we had reservations and the waitress there was also great. Perhaps the piano bartender needs a refresher course in customer service. I even got a slice of cheesecake with a candle from our breakfast server with Happy Birthday wishes.

After a yummy, filling brunch we headed back to the room to get ready for our spa treatments. My husband had set me up with a surprise massage, my other girlfriends had either facials scheduled or were just planning on enjoying the hot tub, sauna, steam room and or pool. Now the spa I LOVED. I love that the Abbey which is a very family friendly resort has the spa pool which is 21 and over only and family pool which is for everyone. The spa pool had lap lanes for those who want to swim laps and the rest was just open for lounging. There's also a nice hot tub attached. There's tons of seating, poolside food service and a free water and juice bar as well as a regular bar for paid drinks. My massage with Stephanie was heavenly and my tip reflected me pleasure with her.

After an afternoon of hanging out poolside and watching the snow fall outside we had to head back to our real lives to our disappointment.

Valet took the time to not just warm my car up before bringing it up but they brushed off all the snow!! Which from the looks of the new snow was about 6 inches and a very nice gesture. He too was of course tipped accordingly.

All and all we promised to make our girls weekends a monthly thing and it looks like we've already got 6 of us lined up to go next month so we'll be getting at least 3 rooms next time. I hope sour puss isn't working in the piano bar again because she kinda damped the evening and our potential spending. All and all I'd highly recommend The Abbey again and can't wait to go back. I'm actually online today pricing out a family package to take the kids and my husband up there in a couple weeks.

Room Tip: I've never seen a bad room at the Abbey so I any room you choose is going to be a winner.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Bride2Be,

Thank you for your five- star review of The Abbey Resort and happy belated birthday! I am delighted to hear that your weekend was such a memorable time and that The Abbey has been part of your life for over 30 years. Thank you for your kind comments about our improvements and the helpfulness of our staff. I do apologize for the service you received in the Helm. Each review is read by our management team so that we may address the matter and improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have been going to the abbey for a girls weekend away for more than twenty years. The staff goes out of there way to take care of us. The staff is friendly and professional. If there is ever a problem they do there best to take care of it immediately. Great spa and hotel.

Room Tip: If you are using the spa quiet a bit, they have rooms right outside of it that work great.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Diane B,
Thank you for your five-star review of The Abbey Resort and your kind comments about our staff. We value our repeat guests and I am pleased to hear that staff is always responsive to your needs. I invite you to follow us on Facebook to stay apprised of our latest getaway promotions and upcoming events. We look forward to your return stay.

Guest Relations Manager
Libertyville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Arrived here Saturday afternoon. Busy place but very helpful friendly staff. Rooms are nice but sounds travels easily from room to room. Any time someone in the room above goes pee you can hear it followed by the sound of the flush.

Pool is nice and water is warm enough, but the room temperature in the pool area is not warm enough. As soon as I got out of the water I was cold. Even after drying off I had to put on a sweatshirt to be comfortable. I asked a staff member if they could bump the heat up and I was told no, that "everything was automatic".

After a friendly conversation about the hotel she pointed to the owner's office overlooking the pool area and said that he is in charge of everything and a change in pool room temperature would be up to him.

One of the main reasons we came here was the pool for the kids. My expectation for the pool room is that it should be warm and comfortable. We should be comfortable relaxing in our bathing suits, not putting on layers to stay warm.

Since everything was booked solid (Timber Ridge) around here we had to settle for this, but unless they address the heat in the pool room I'd rather not spend good money here.

Speaking of Timber Ridge, the pool/water park area is much warmer and comfortable than here, even though it's much bigger. This tells me that The Abby is pinching pennies at the expense of their guest's comfort, and the friendly staff is telling me nothing can be done because the boss man likes it that way, thus I'm forced to write this review in hopes somebody is listening and addresses the situation.

I'll be happy to repost a positive review if this is corrected. I'm still here writing this as I lay in my room. I wonder if anyone who can do something about this is listening.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dean V.,

Thank you for your review and for your comments about our helpful and friendly staff. I apologize that you felt the pool area was cool. I spoke with our engineering department regarding the air temperature and it is controlled through a central system. The air temperature is maintained at 83 degrees. We have not experienced any issues with this system; however, our engineering team will conduct some testing to ensure the system is reporting accurately. Thank you again for your review and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.
Sara Schmitz

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!