“Another wonderful stay at the Abbey!” 5 of 5 stars

Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Illinois City, Illinois
“Another wonderful stay at the Abbey!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is our second summer spending our family vacation at the Abbey. This year in addition to my children and their spouses, we brought my Mom along. My parents enjoyed the Abbey for years when I was younger. My Dad passed away last year so wanted to bring my Mom back as we were vacationing over Father's Day and my Dad's birthday, our first year without him. She also enjoyed revisiting a place she loved and for years she told me, "You should go to the Abbey! You'll love it!" She was right. I am so happy we discovered this beautiful resort!

We rented 2 villas, one facing the harbor which we have enjoyed several times and another a short walk away. We stayed Sunday to Saturday June 16 - 22. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in each provided plenty of space for our 10 family members including a 2 year old and 6 year old. The bathrooms in our harbor view villa were wonderful before, but have been beautifully updated.

My 6 year old grandson remembered everything from last year and couldn't wait to get to the arcade and board games. Last year it was Battleship he wanted to play over and over. This year Sorry and Chess as well as Trouble were his favorites. There are so many activities, there is really no reason to leave the resort once you arrive. One of the children's activities was a Scavenger Hunt which my grandson and I enjoyed. It required searching throughout the resort allowing us to enjoy every area of The Abbey.

The only time we left the resort was to walk to the beautiful beach which is included when you are guests of the Abbey. This is a very family friendly resort. Outdoor games are available all day, smores by a bonfire on Monday and Wednesday were also enjoyed by our family. We love Cafe Latte and spent a couple mornings enjoying coffee for us, hot chocolate for the boys and delicious scones. Our villas were so beautiful and comfortable. I can't say enough about the housekeeping staff. We were fortunate to have Marilu who graciously cleaned around our 2 yr. old grandson's nap schedule. She was absolutely wonderful and did a fantastic job keeping our villas well stocked with towels, soaps, etc. not to mention spotlessly clean every morning.

We also enjoyed the Avani spa which is really something everyone should experience when staying at the Abbey. The pool is beautiful and relaxing. Cucumber water as well as juices and coffee/tea are available. My Mom, daughters and I enjoyed a delicious snack from the Waterfront restaurant delivered promptly poolside. Panini sandwich, cheese plate and fruit plate were delicious and enjoyed by all of us as we lounged by the pool.

Our beautiful harbor view patio was wonderful for watching boats leaving the harbor, seeing families walking their dogs and enjoying the families of geese and ducks swimming by and walking to the small sand beach near our villa. On Friday night we enjoyed the Waterfront's delicious all you can eat Fish Fry on our patio. We decided to order our meals to enjoy on the patio as it was our last night in the villa. The walleye and cod were exceptional!

Friday we enjoyed the condo pool near our 2nd villa and the beach before the rain/storms arrived. The resort had many rainy day activities to choose from - the board games were very busy. It was wonderful seeing so many families enjoying them. There were also movies playing with free popcorn. Even though the resort appeared full with conference attendees as well as a wedding which we were able to witness near the beautiful gazebo, our villa was peaceful and quiet. Everyone was friendly - whether staff or fellow vacationers. We were also able to meet one of the villa owners who brought a new grill for our family to use if needed.

A trip to the Abbey is not complete without seeing Jose who feels like an old friend. He is the employee who nearly 2 years ago took my husband and I around the resort showing us villas when we decided the Abbey was where we wanted to spend our family vacations after many years of staying at another hotel in downtown Lake Geneva. Sarah graciously arranges our accommodations and could not be kinder or more patient as she always answers my many emails promptly. John, the manager of the Avani Spa is also a wonderful representative of the Abbey. Katie and Stephanie at the front desk were warm and friendly upon our arrival and again at check out. Every employee is truly exceptional at the Abbey. The grounds are so beautiful and well maintained.

We have stayed at the Abbey in the summer, fall and winter. We have driven up for the day in the Spring. It is always beautiful and welcoming. This is a place we will return to over and over. We love everything about the Abbey.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Illinois1,

I loved reading your review and thank you for again selecting our resort for your family vacation. Your review highlighted so many of The Abbey’s great features, activities, the beach, the spa, harbor views and of course our great staff! We look forward to seeing again soon.

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My family (Mom, Dad, and one 15 year old) has just returned from a trip to the Abbey. We were disappointed, and won't be going back. It's just not a place for teens.
Our room was nice, but on the small side. We had a King bed with a sofa sleeper. The room was small enough to require rearranging of the furniture to pull the bed out. And the sofa sleeper was very uncomfortable - enough that my daughter chose to sleep on the sofa without pulling the bed out on the second night. On the plus side, the shower was nice and big, and the shower head very high. ( a plus if you're tall, and don't like to do deep knee-bends while trying to wash your hair)
There are several swimming pools at the Abbey, but not all available to kids. There is a nice outside kids pool, and a nice outside adult pool, but since it was cool, we were limited to the inside pool, which really isn't so nice. The pictures that the website shows are mostly of the Spa pool. And while it is beautiful, you have to be 16 to use it. And - something the website never mentions - unless you book a spa service, you have to pay $25 to use the majority of the spa facilities. Yes, you can work out or attend some fitness classes with the "resort fee" of $12 of day, but a little transparency might be in order here.
And the spa? There are nice areas, but the day I was there, both the steam room and the whirlpool in the women's side of the spa were closed. The ceiling above the whirlpool was being painted. It struck me that this could have been done at night while the spa was closed. And I wasn't the only one in the area that commented how odd this was. The spa service was okay - my husband and daughter had massages. I had a manicure, which when dried made my nails look like someone had dipped them in sand before polishing. If I hadn't been leaving the next day, I would have asked for this to be done properly. I took the polish off when I got home. What a waste of money!
We went to the Waterfront for dinner. Lovely view, good food, but very poor service. I was considering ordering the "Flat Iron Steak", and asked the server about it. Her reply? "Well, it's nothing special." So instead of ordering the $20 steak, I ordered a $12 burger. My husband had the ribs, which he said were very good. The Nachos, however, came with a combination of shredded cheese, and "liquid" cheese. The place is in Wisconsin!! Can't they even use real cheese?? We checked out early and ate breakfast a McDonald's down the road. Enough said.
So if you're an adult looking for a quiet spot for a getaway, this may be the place for you. For kids? Not so much. We go to the Lake Geneva area every year. We've crossed this place off of our list.

Room Tip: Choose carefully if you can't or don't want to do stairs. Not all of the buildings have ele...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ann S,

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, and that some areas of our spa were not functioning while you were here. We are addressing your comments with our staff; and while, it does not change your experience, the steam room and whirlpool are both back up and running. We are also working with our activities team to develop additional offerings for our teenage guests. Again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay and thank you for sharing your experience.

everywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

OK..where do I start... just upon entering the lobby you know you've arrived at a special hotel...the style, the smiles....the views.... and then you enter your room.... omg I can still feel remember how comfortable that bed was..and the shower...and the comfortable room.....

*yes....it is a bit confusing trying to find your way around the hotel..I'll give you that*....

But OMG the Spa pool was great....napped there for hours.... and the cuisine was fantastic...the breakfast was great...Eggs Benedict was perfect...

Wow!! -- find this place and spend a weekend here as soon as possible!!!!!

Room Tip: just ask front test to get exact directions to room as we had a bit of trouble actually locating our...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Shreemaan,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort. We are thrilled that your stay with us was amazing, and that you were able to catch a few Zs at the Avani Spa pool. We hope to see you back again soon and please be sure to follow us on Facebook.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Abbey is a beautiful resort with an outstanding view. Beautiful rooms, dinner/dining and entertainment. The gift shop is awsome great gifts for family and friends. And check out Gordy's on the board walk

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Jazspin9,

I could not agree more with your subject line –“The most relaxing resort on Lake Geneva.” Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, and please be sure to follow us on Facebook to stay up-to-date on our happenings.

We hope to see you again soon.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Attended a conference at the resort and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Room was extremely quiet, even though it was right near the Spa. The servers in the Fontana Grill for breakfast both mornings were professional, pleasant, and extremely accommodating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Beth H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Providing our guests with superior service is what we strive to do everyday, and I am delighted to hear that we delivered on that promise. We hope that you will have an opportunity to stay with us again.

Guest Relations Manager
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here in mid-June for a business conference. My first impressions were quite good. The young men at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. The hallways and room had newer carpeting. My first thought of the room was that it was an interesting mix of new and old. The bathroom was very modern. The walk-in shower was large and inviting. The water pressure wasn't great but that is a minor disappointment. The room itself was fairly large, not small like other reviewers have noted. The décor was in keeping with a "resort on a lake" theme that was built in the '60s. The king bed was very comfortable and the 40 inch television came with a full cable channel lineup.
I did not go to the spa or the upscale restaurant Fontana Grill but the Waterfront Cafe was fairly priced and had very good food with good service. Our banquet meal on Saturday night was one of the better banquet dinners I have ever had. The buffet breakfast's were standard but quite good. I wish I had something really negative to say that would make this review more interesting but I just don't have it. The best I can do, is say that if you are coming here from the west please have your GPS or turn by turn navigation turned on. There are absolutely no signs saying "turn here for The Abbey" or anything remotely similar. Wisconsin is not the best state for marking their side roads. All highways are K or O or Brick Church or Brick School. Coming from the east must be easier as I assume almost all guests are coming from Chicago or Milwaukee. Not until you are about 2 blocks away will you see a sign for the resort. I came here at night and couldn't believe how remote Fontana is. I guess I was thinking Lake Geneva was a more highfalutin place but it isn't.
Other notes are that the pools are very nice with many deck chairs and a good wait staff. Also, I talked at length with the concierge Linda, who was fun and interesting to talk to. I was expecting more of a tourist trap but this area is nothing like the Wisconsin Dells, for example.
If you want to see how the other half lives take a boat tour of the lake. A few hundred feet from the main entrance are two boat rental operations. We dealt with Jerry's and had a wonderful time on our pontoon boat. The young employees were fun to deal with.
The grounds here are very nice and easy to walk around to get from one area to another. Also note, if you are looking for a great view of Lake Geneva you will have to settle for a nice view of the marina and it's cluster of boats of various sizes.
So, in summation I will say this is a nice, quiet resort but certainly not a spectacular one with a wow factor.
Our group of one hundred or so had no complaints, so that in itself is saying something.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina and manicured grounds, otherwise you will be facing the parking lot...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dennis K,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that your business conference stay with us was enjoyable and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. We hope that if you have the option to stay in the area again that you will select The Abbey Resort and Avani Spa.

Fort Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a very nice resort and the renovations are really great. Loved the marina area and looking at all the boats and water from our harbor view room (it's worth the upgrade). Very peaceful grounds and nice staff. Didn't get a chance to use the spa since we were so busy. This was a very enjoyable visit and we'll return here next time we're in the Lake Geneva area.

Room Tip: The harbor view rooms are the best and worth the upgrade! We sat out on the balcony quite a bit. N...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sara S, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
SCP&LP,

Thank you for your review of The Abbey Resort and Spa. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The harbor view is one of my favorite views as well! As it sounds like we will be seeing you again, please follow us on Facebook and sign up for our emails to stay informed of our events and promotional offers. I hope you will have the chance to enjoy The Avani Spa on your next stay as it is truly a relaxing experience.

Sara Schmitz

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!