“Second year and counting....” 5 of 5 stars

Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Chicago, Illinois
“Second year and counting....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were looking for a location for an annual meeting.... we had been disappointed with our prior location and for the same reasonable price, the Abbey blew us away. All of the staff are great: Friendly, willing to help... simply wanting you to have the best experience possible. The AVANI spa is great... and I dream of the adult area, though it is a little pricey - way better to have a spa or salon treatment and get the adult pool as an added bonus. The family pool is free for guests and is nice too, but it does have a lot of kids running around. Nice toddler pool though we often had older kids running through... Restaurants are good and it's nice to be able to arrive and stay put for a weekend...

Room Tip: There are lots of hallways and the second floor isn't always accessible, so if you have limited...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear TravelinLB,

We are absolutely thrilled to read about how much that you enjoyed your recent vacation. We receive so many positive compliments as to how friendly our staff is. We shall be sure to pass along your praise to our associates.

Thank you for your glowing review about our acclaimed Avani Spa. When we read a compliment calls it a " facility to dream about " we swell with pride.

Sincerely yours,
Management Representative

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
libertyville, il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Not overly impressed by our first stay. My wife ordered a Valentine's package and we never received the gifts associated with the package. Our children developed an allergic reaction from swimming in the indoor pool (raised red bumps, and rash). The resort had an enjoyable Lego function that weekend, but there was an order in the room displaying Lego designsthat made it unpleasant. Staff at the front door were very nice. Food at the Fontana Grill was good. Overall, I am a bigger fan of the Grand Geneva resort based upon having visited both properties.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Bob224,

We appreciate the fact that you are providing us with feedback concerning your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. It is through these candid comments that we are better able to improve the guest experience that we offer.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our very unique Lego event. We received many compliments over the weekend. Conversely I am dissapointed to read that your children had an allergic reaction while here. I have spoken directly with our Engineering Director who checked all of the maintenance logs during that time period. Everything was in order. While we did not have any other guests who experienced discomfort if we have one who does we are sorry. We hope that you will return at some point for another visit.

Kind Regards,
Management Representative
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed here on Valentine's Day. Nice room & amenities, friendly & helpful staff. Only negative with the room was the shower's water pressure, very weak. An in-room DVD player would be nice.
Had a late lunch at The Waterfront Restaurant, which was average & we were the only people there at that time. Beware of making reservations online via Open Table, originally made reservations at 4pm, then switched to an earlier time. Glad i did as we found out the restaurant closes at 4pm in winter !!
Enjoyed a little shopping at the Waterfront shop there by the restaurant, took home a couple of souvenirs of our stay.Will go back again in warmer weather for better views of the lake & area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sandradee815,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much.

We agree with you that there is a myriad of different activities to partake in while being our guest. We are thrilled that you will be visiting us again this summer.

Sincerely yours,
Abbey Management Representative
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here this past Saturday as a nice couples getaway. We had no idea what to except when we arrived. The front desk/valet staff was very friendly. We checked into a standard room. The room was gorgeous! The bathroom you can tell was newly renovated and looks beautiful. We loved the feel of the room. The hallways need work. All the carpets were constantly filthy and old/worn. We enjoyed the spa, the girl at the front desk of the spa seemed as though we were annoying her when we went to ask a few questions. She definitely needs customer service training. We loved the pool, whirlpool, sauna , etc. It was a little disappointing that the men's steam room was broken all weekend. I had a facial done and it was nice. A little over priced compared (and thats with 20% off) to other facials I've had. The best part of our stay was the dinner at Waterfront. We debated if we wanted to go somewhere nicer or not. We ended up going to the Waterfront. The food there was OUTSTANDING. The service was amazing. I couldn't believe how good my tenderloin salad was! KUDOS to the kitchen and staff at waterfront, I would come back there just for that place! We had room service the next morning for breakfast and it was not very good. We had high hopes after waterfront but it didn't match. Food seemed old or bad quality.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, but at a little better pricing. I wouldn't get a spa service again but I would certainly look forward to having dinner at waterfront. Nice Place!

p.s how about some sort of darkening shade for the rooms? Those blinds leave it pretty bright in the mornings?!?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Tracy T,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I would like to apologize for struggling to meet your expectations at the spa front desk. We will be working with the employees involved to insure that all of our guests are treated with the warm hospitality that they have come to expect.

I would also like to apologize for struggling to meet your expectations wit our room service order. I have spoken with our Executive Chef and he has assured me that this will not be a recurring situation. I know this does not change your experience, but please rest assured that we heard your concerns and are definitely doing something about them.

Our staff takes great pride in providing a gracious and welcoming check in experience, delicious sit down dining options, and clean guestrooms. Thank you for taking the time to mention all the positive aspects of your stay.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We are looking forward to hosting your next visit.

In Service,
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is becoming an annual visit to Lake Geneva. This year and last year I stayed at the Abbey. Once again, I had a great time here during the 1/25-1/27/13 weekend which really is a great time to go as it's not as busy. I used the LivingSocial voucher which provided great value for $129 a night (includes admission to Spa and an hour in the Sanctuary suite).

I have read some of the reviews here and have not had any issues with the sound outside the room or a rude staff. I thought everyone was wonderful especially the service in the Spa. I stayed at one of the first rooms (2156) as you walk into the hall and did not hear anything during the night.

In addition, It was great to meet some of the Abbey staff that I will hopefully continue to see in my future stays.

I did have a few minor issues but not enough to deduct stars from my review. These are my suggestions/comments;

1. Update the Business Center computers. They appear to be more than 10 years old and a new desktop can be bought for $400 or less. I do want to thank Paul F. for setting me up with a computer when I was unable to use the terrible Business Center computers.
2. Add WiFi to the Spa. What bothers me most in the Spa is the people talking in groups, not the people wearing headphones, reading magazines, or watching movies on an iPad. It would have been nice to watch NetFlix on my iPad.
3. Add more space in the locker room in the Spa. Tranquil room is huge but some of this space would be better for the locker area.
4. The steam room was out of service. I noticed this last year when I was there in April of 2012. I am not sure if this is a long-term issue?

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KevinF115,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us. We value your comments and concerns. I was pleased to read that your time with us was enjoyable.

You had some very good comments on how we could improve our services, and I am pleased to say that we will be taking action many of the things you mentioned.

Our business centers will have new computers installed by the end of February and the Avani Spa will be receiving Wi-Fi service in the near future.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We are all looking forward to your next visit.

Warmly,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the resort over the MLK holiday weekend. The front desk and valet staff were fantastic. Our check in was flawless and during the stay they arranged for us to tour the villas and the suites. The valet took us around the resort despite the below 0 wind chill. The room we had was clean and updated however the shower had no water pressure.

We booked a spa package that gave us access to the Avani Spa pool. This separate pool area was awesome; the water is heated, the hot tub can fit up to 12 people, there is a sauna and steam room, and you can order food from your lounge chair.

We ate dinner at the Fontana Grill both Saturday and Sunday nights. The restaurant has a prime rib and crab leg buffet for $30.95/person. We had 8:30pm reservations. When we were seated we were informed that there were no more crab legs and the prime rib wasn't ready yet. When the prime rib did come out it was almost raw. They then cut it up and grilled it, served it, and it tasted like leather. The baked potato bar was ok but the potato I had wasn't fully cooked. Even though they couldn't get any food right, they did make it right by only charging us $10/person. Sunday nights dinner wasn't any better; had send back the steak as it was undercooked and my wife's ribs were overcooked.

Overall, I would stay at the Abbey again, but I would never eat dinner there again.

Room Tip: The walls are thin so request a room that has vacancies on either side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Traveler1313_11,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at the Abbey Resort. I was delighted to read that you had a fantastic experience with many of our hotel staff.

I would like to offer my sincere apology for your experience in the Fontana Grill. While the prime rib buffet is usually a phenomenal experience, no amount of excuses will change your experience. I would like to assure you that this issue did not go unnoticed, and it has been addressed. Please contact me at your convenience, as I would like to discuss your dinner in more detail.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay in the near future.

800.772.1000
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We planned a extended family trip there in January. We had grandparents, parents, and kids (ages 8 to 12). Overall it was a fun experience. Just could have been better if a few small things were addressed. We might go back. The challenge would be comparing it to other resorts in the area. We really liked the Grand Geneva and Timber Ridge so we might opt for one of those places instead the next time we are staying in that area.

The good
- The indoor pool is big and pretty warm. The outdoor pools like nice.
- The place has a 1960's vibe which is not too bad.
- Several areas for groups to hang out at including a cool room with a pool table and card table.
- It is spread out so it never felt crowded. The resort was not crowded when we came though, but we did find out that we knew several other people staying there the same weekend and we never saw them.
- The spa looks nice. Didn't try it though

Needs some work
- The fridge in the room was turned off. It takes a while for them to cool down so why not turn it on since they know we will be staying in that room (we had a block of rooms together so they knew which rooms we were taking in advance).
- The bathroom door lock did not work. Also the soap dish was broken and the water pressure was weak.
- The thermostat stopped working. The little screen went blank so we could not control it. The heat worked but kicked on every 2 minutes and ran for 2 minutes. Yes my wife timed it.
- Restaurant service was slow. We tried both places and each time there were only a few tables and yet the service was much slower then we would have expected.
- Further from downtown Lake Geneva compared to other resorts in the area.
- $25 just to have spa access and use the pool or workout.
- Overall the staff was cordial and friendly, but it never went beyond that. I would think they would give a bit more effort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear JAhlbeg,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that your extended family trip was enjoyable.

Our team takes great pride in creating an atmosphere that is family friendly, while still allowing our adult guests the opportunity to relax and rejuvenate.

I would like to apologize for struggling to provide you with a guestroom that was in perfect working condition. Please contact me with your information so I can insure this issue has been taken care of.

There is one thing I would like to make sure you don’t miss if we have the opportunity of hosting your stay in the future. Our fitness facility, located on the “dry side” of the spa is included as a guest of the hotel. The Life Fitness room has a full array of cardio and weight machines, and out fitness studio hosts classes daily.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your extended family getaway again.

In Service,
800.772.1000

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!