“Great hotel, great service and value, but pool on website is in fee-based spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Resort & Spa

You added Abbey Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
“Great hotel, great service and value, but pool on website is in fee-based spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

First time at hotel but we've stayed in Lake Geneva many times. Came with group of 11 (5 kids) over New Years. Great service, nicely remodeled. Rooms charming. Beds comfy. Very clean. Nice board game room and small arcade for kids. Note: Long hallways, hotel is quite spread out... ask for a room close to lobby if anyone in group has trouble walking. Waterfront restaurant: great bar food, great service. Fontana restaurant: ok food, great service. Only negatives - ice rink was closed despite prior week of freezing temps, kids had to skate at another hotel, but Abbey did let us borrow their skates. Also, the pool featured on website is in spa, not open to kids and $25 fee for adults. Free pool is fine, just not what's shown on website so set kids' expectations accordingly.

• Stayed December 2012
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear FiveHappyTravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that your family enjoyed all of the activities we offer.

I was also pleased to read that when our ice rink was not quite ready to open our staff lent you skates for another venue. Our staff takes great pride in providing a clean guestroom, a family friendly environment, and outstanding customer service. Thank you for sharing all of your positive moments you experienced at our resort on your recent visit.

Yes, the pool pictured on or website is the adult’s only pool in the spa that requires an admission fee. I would like to apologize for the confusion and for struggling to meet your group's expectations.

I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your next stay with us in the very near future.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

A friend and I decided to get away from the hectic pace of Christmas, and we booked a night at the Abbey. We drove the country route from Chicago, passing horses, cows and farm houses decorated for the holidays. Upon arriving, the Abbey greeted us with free hot chocolate, Christmas cookies, and afternoon entertainment (carolers and a brass band). We sat by the fireside just enjoying the music. After dinner, we again had entertainment, in the form of a bonfire, free hot spiced cider, and s'mores. What a relaxing getaway from the hubbub! I will definitely return!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the terrace.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Linda B,

I was delighted to read about your relaxing trip away from Chicago. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Our staff takes great delight in creating a magical holiday atmosphere for children and adults alike. I was pleased to read that you took full advantage of our holiday activities.

I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your stay the next time your in the mood for a relaxing escape.

Guest Services Manager
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our first time at the Abbey. We started with Sunday champaign brunch. Very reasonable and great selections! The chef cutting the prime rib and the omelet station were hits for us. Room was basic but clean. You have to pay a resort fee so we used the shower at the spa (they also provide basic toiletries in the spa). The spa was decent and not over the top. Pretty clean, older facility. Workout room was a little small. Customer service at the spa could have been better. No one was rude, just not overly friendly and no one seemed that they wanted to go above and beyond. We got 50 minute massages. Therapist was good but talked the entire time. Spa was a bit pricey compared to other we've been to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Ron0001,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that your first visit to our resort was a memorable experience.

Please accept my apology for the spa staff who struggled to provide outstanding customer service. We have begun a new training initiative to insure that all of our associates will consistently practice exceptional customer service.

Our culinary team takes great pride in producing a Sunday brunch experience that is a good value, fun, and delicious. Thank you for mentioning how much you enjoyed your meal.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope that we have the opportunity to host your stay again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Our one night stay was perfect from the welcome when we first arrived until one of the receptionists took a group picture of all 11 of us before our departure-not an easy task as our ages ranged from 1 to 70 with 5 children under 10. Our rooms were spacious and bright with extremely comfortable beds. The pool area with a basketball net and other toys, whirlpool, plenty of towels, and board games right outside the pool area made everyone happy. Dinner and breakfast at the Fontana Grill were good-especially the buffets that were offered. Service was excellent. All the staff seemed to want to make our stay enjoyable and we all thank you for succeeding.

• Stayed December 2012
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Birdshell,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Abbey Resort. I was pleased to read that your whole group enjoyed their time with us.

We take great satisfaction in providing a clean, spacious guestroom, a family friendly indoor pool, delicious menu items, and exceptional customer service.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. It was our pleasure hosting your stay, and we can’t wait for your next visit.

Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spend few days at the Abbeys,of course all day we sit at the spa since it has most wonderful,,sauna,steam room,whirlpool,big pool,and an area where you can get ,coffe,hot chocolate,all kind of herbal teas,big container,one with nice cold water with strawberries,and another with,either lemon or cucumber floating.We order food from a room service,which is fantastic,meanwhile we are sitting by the pool area,with a warm cosy robe.Our experience this time was,one of the orders came wrong,I did call them back ,and the manager,was absolutely wonderful and she had invited Us for breakfast next day,her name is Kirstina,I hope I got the name right,she is in the Fontana Grill.We did appreciate it so much,over all every person is delightful in that facility.Thank you all for being nice to us every time we go up there.

Room Tip: We always ask for the same room,which is 2172,if is not taken by the owners,it faces the Marina.Hope...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Edith Z.

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure hosting your stay.

Our staff takes great pride in providing a warm welcoming environment, an outstanding spa experience, and delicious dining options. Thank you for taking the time to share how much you enjoyed our staff’s efforts.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your stay again in the near future.

Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Background: We stayed at this complex for our 1st wedding anniversary in 2011 and had a great relaxing weekend in the spa. My sister stayed in June 2012 and many of the spa amenities were broken. Things appeared to be fixed, so my husband and I decided to give it a go again. (When I made the reservation 2 weeks ago, I SPECIFICALLY asked if everything in the spa would be functioning and they said Yes, it would).

We arrived at 1pm and were informed that the spa pool/whirlpool would be closing at 2pm for repairs (which don't finish until December 14th!). We were disappointed as this was the whole reason we chose The Abbey. They said we still could still sit it the spa area/use the co-ed sauna/steam room however, so we decided to make the best of it. Promptly at 2pm workers came into the spa area and said we had to leave. We expressed our disappointment to the front desk and they directed us to talk to John Morris, the spa manager. He said it is their semi-annual draining of the pool and it's posted on their website that the maintenance was being done. It was NOT posted when I made the reservation, NOR was it mentioned in the confirmation email that we received 2-days before arriving at the Abbey. We checked the website and did see the notice, but it said the maintenance wouldn't being until the 3rd. We checked in the 2nd... Guess they started early........

John said we could use the Sanctuary Suite for 45 minutes, but it was booked after that for a time. He said to use the hotel's other indoor pool after that as it was a Sunday and there wouldn't be kids around. We lounged there for 45 minutes before ten 4-6 year olds came in for a SWIM LESSON! We left and decided it was time to check-out and head home instead of staying the night. The manager on duty was kind and let us check-out with no charges, but our weekend at that point was ruined. The manager himself said he didn't even know the whole co-ed spa area would be closed. The communication between the spa and the hotel staff is awful.

If you're going here to use the spa between now and December 15th, cancel your reservation!! Don't bother wasting your money.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a Harbor View since it was our anniversary, but we didn't get to enjoy it si...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear KenzieLovesTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. We value positive and negative guest feedback.

I was disappointed to read that your second anniversary was not as special as your first. Our goal is to provide each and every guest with an enjoyable experience, a good night’s sleep and outstanding customer service. I would like to apologize for struggling to provide you with the experience you had come to expect from The Abbey Resort.

It was our intention to notify all guests who would be in the hotel between the 2nd and 14th of December that the spa pool would be undergoing a few repairs. I would like to apologize for not getting in contact with you in a timely manor.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please call me when you find the time.

800.772.1000
Kenosha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We decided to go for our 22nd anniversary last Saturday. We usually go to the Grand Geneva but wanted to try something different. I had been there back in the 80's and it was wonderful then. We wanted to go and relax, enjoy the spa and have a enjoyable dinner. We checked got our room keys and drove around to building #7. I have a bad knee and was disappointed to only see stairs to enter, if there was a ramp we didn't see it. We got to our room and it was freezing! The heat was turned completely off you could almost see your breath! My brother and sister-in-law had come with us and their room was warmer, but only 65 degrees. We turned our heat on and had to get ready for appointments at the spa. It said there would be robes in the room, but we had none. There were slippers I grabbed to use because it was soooooo cold, then found out you would be charged for it! Didn't see the disclaimer in time. (my bathroom floor never did warm up)!
Went to spa and was not impressed. First there were no towels and I had to go all the way out to spa check in to find someone to get me one. I wasted precious time in hot tub to relax before my massage because I was told to be in fireplace room. 10 minutes before my appointment. I ended up sitting there for 20 minutes, more wasted time. My therapist was very good though.
She told me to drink lots of water and go back into the hot tub because I needed it. So got some water and went to get in and it was off. No problem I'll turn on timer...nothing! I asked another client but she didn't know what to do either. I went looking for help and again no one was around. I checked out the co-ed hot tub, but it was pretty full and was looking to just relax. I finally found someone and she went to find out so I waited and waited and went into sauna for a bit came out still no one and no hot tub. Frustrated I gathered my things asked if I could return robe and slippers and went back to my room. I then tried to use my key and it doesn't work! I called my husband to see if he was done and he had gone in search of a football score because THEY DONT HAVE ESPN ON THE ROOM TV! He was at the Waterfront Grill I said please hurry I'm getting chilled and need to get in. It took him exactly 17 minutes. To get back! Boy was i not thrilled. He said he was sorry but it was very far away and he got lost. I of course didn't want to believe him, but found out later what he meant.
We got ready for dinner and headed for the Fontana Grill. I couldn't believe how far away it was! We walked and walked, went upstairs, downstairs down long hallways and trying to follow the very poor signage. I'm not exaggerating when I say it took awhile and with my bad knee it wasn't fun. Stopped at front desk to fix my room key and they said it must have been my cell phone that wiped out my key, but it was never near it.
We had a drink at The Helm then went in for dinner. Was surprised to see so few other diners in such a large room. My husband and brother decided on the prime rib buffet and us girls ordered from the menu. She ordered the filet and I ordered the herb fettuccine and dinner salad. The main course took forever to come out. With so few people and most eating the buffet it shouldn't have taken so long. She said hers was ok, mine was not. I had asked for no onions and that's all I could taste. Yuck! My husband and brother said it was just average. I will say our waiter and the man who was at the carving station were very nice. When they found out it was our anniversary they brought us a very decadent chocolate cake to share which was very yummy!
With all that said our bed was comfortable and soft and so were the pillows. If the dinner was better I would maybe try again, but I would never stay so far away as building #7. And since the dinner wasn't very good I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Stay close to the areas you will want to be near like the restaurants and cocktail lounges, front de...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Kelly K.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We value all guest feedback.

I was disappointed to read that your guestroom and spa experience did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your comments at our weekly managers meeting and I can assure you that our struggle to provide you with the service you expected and deserved has been resolved.

I would also like to apologize for struggling to meet your expectations of food quality in the Fontana Grill. It is a rare occurrence when we don’t provide an outstanding dining experience. I have brought your comments to the attention of the restaurant staff and they are committed to making sure no one else faces similar issues.

It is our goal to meet and exceed the expectations of every guest who chooses to stay with us. If you ever decide to return please contact me so I can ensure your next visit exceeds your expectations.

800.772.1000

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!