“so relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Evanston, Illinois, United States
“so relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our second trip to The Abbey and we will be back. The spa has the nicest indoor atrium pool/hot tub for adults. The locker rooms are clean. The rooms are clean. The grounds are well kept. The restaurants are good, but not great. The fancier of the restuarants is a little "stuffy" for our tastes. I still give it 5 stars because its exactly what we want - a relaxing place to chill and hang out when its getting too chilly outside. Although we did enjoy a nice walk by the marina and the beach.

Room Tip: I like the vaulted cielings on the second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Amy R.

Thank you for returning to our resort and sharing your experience. I was glad we could provide you with exactly what you were looking for in a weekend getaway.

Our associates take great pride in providing you with a clean guestroom, well kept grounds, and an unparalleled spa experience.

I was disappointed that we struggled to meet your expectations in our restaurants. We have recently accepted a new Executive Chef to our culinary team and he is already working diligently to create an outstanding dining experience for every guest. I hope we have the opportunity to have you dine in our restaurants on your next visit.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your winter Spa getaway. It was a delight to host your most recent stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your next stay in the near future.

Happy Holidays,

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had a lovely girls weekend at the Abbey and their Spa. The Spa is just heavenly. The technicians are amazing, the overall Spa is gorgeous and clean and so so relaxing. The day of your services, you are able to utilize the Spa facility all day which includes a private pool, two whirlpools, steam, sauna and Eucalyptis rooms that will make you feel amazing.

We stayed in a Pool View Suite which was massive. King sized bed, two pull out couches, Fridge, Microwave, large balconey and incredibly clean.

I can't wait to return, this time with my husband. It was a wonderful weekend and I love the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Allison M.

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was delighted to read that your group found our property to be a heavenly experience.

Our team takes great satisfaction in providing our guests with an unparalleled spa experience, outstanding service, and a comfortable guestroom. Thank you for taking the time to mention how much you enjoyed all of the aspects of our resort.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort for your girlfriend’s getaway. I hope we will be able to host your next stay in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I traveled there for a relaxing weekend and that's exactly what we got. The hotel was booked solid the weekend of October 26 to October 28th. There were Two weddings and a business conference.....I think we may have booked the last room available. Anyway....

The rooms were renovated (with in the last couple years is my guess) comfortable beds, large TV, ample sitting room and the views were AWESOME! Bathroom had double vanity sinks (granite), large tub/shower combination. The water pressure was a little low, I'm assuming it was because the hotel was booked solid, but no big deal, it got the job done.

The waterfront restaurant had beautiful views of the Abbey Harbor and GREAT food compared to the last time we were there...not sure if they got a new chef or management or what but there has been a lot of improvement. The little sundry store next to the waterfront restaurant has everything you need in case you forgot to pack something and also has a lot of other things (t-shirts, sweatshirts, snacks, magazines, etc.) in case you are looking for a small gift for your kids or whatever.

The Avani Spa is Awesome!!!!! Relaxation at it's best. I did not get any treatments but wife did and she said that the massage she received rivaled the one she got at The Four Seasons in Maui! She loved it! I'm not sure who her therapist was but she has not stopped raving about it. I used the adults only pool area, the steam room in the men's locker room and the hot tub. All great. I'm a larger man and the larger sized robes (I asked for it) were very comfortable.

All in all this was a great getaway and I would recommend this resort to any couple looking to getaway for the weekend. They also have another indoor pool (the outdoor pool area was closed being that we traveled in late October, but I have heard good things about that as well) that is great for families if you want to bring the kids :)

We travel to the Lake Geneva Area two to three times a year and we always stay at the Abbey! You can't beat it.

Room Tip: If you like the outdoors pay for the upgrade to a harbor view.....Great views!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Jim T.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your time with us. All of us at the hotel are delighted that you took the time to share your experience at our resort.

Our staff takes great satisfaction in providing an updated guestroom that is clean and comfortable. They also strive to provide outstanding food quality in our restaurants, and a wide selection of sundries in our gift shop.

Thank you for choosing our resort. It was a delight for our team to host your stay with us. I hope we have the opportunity for you to visit us again in the near future.

Lansing, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

IA friend and I recently visited the Abbey Resort for a girlfriends' weekend and loved it! The room was attractive with very comfortable beds. The staff was friendly, professional and extremely accomodating. The enviornment was beautiful and relaxing. The restaurants were good, and the spa was superb! I felt that I got my money's worth on this trip.

Room Tip: We had a room with a beautiful view of the harbor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Gayl E.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We were pleased you found your experience to be relaxing.

We take great pride in providing outstanding customer service, comfortable guest rooms, beautiful views, and a superb spa experience.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Abbey Resort. It was a pleasure hosting your girlfriend’s getaway. I hope we have the opportunity to host your next visit in the very near future.

Sierra Madre, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for a business conference. The rooms and banquet facilities were nice. Plenty of onsite restaurants. I wasn't happy with the front desk and valet service. Pulled up and no one to valet the car. Had to go to the front desk to ask where I park. Then the front desk person was just not pleasant. I was very surprised. I hate to rate an entire resort on the front desk person but it was all in the first 10 minutes of me being there. That aside, the resort was very nice. I

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Krp87b,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were pleased to read the wonderful comments you left about our rooms and banquet service.

I would like to apologize for struggling to create an outstanding first impression when you arrived.
I would also like to apologize for the unpleasantness you experienced with our front desk staff member.

If you have the opportunity, please give me a call so we can work toward providing you with an exceptional second impression and an outstanding first impression for our other future guests.

Thank you for choosing The Abbey Resort. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting your stay the next time you are in the Midwest.

In Service,
800.772.1000
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a great place for a girl's weekend - or a romantic weekend for a couple. The resort guestrooms have been renovated since I last visited there and were very nice. The staff really was extremely friendly and helpful. I think the spa itself is worth the trip. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Abbey to anyone visiting the area. Great local landmark resort!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Scoulson1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed returning to our facility after being away for a few years.

We take great pride in providing the perfect atmosphere for most any getaway, clean renovated guestrooms, and outstanding customer service.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Abbey Resort. It would be our pleasure to host your next getaway hopefully in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The grounds are wonderful. I didn't expect such an old resort to be so charming and updated. We stayed 2 nights arriving on a Friday evening. Ignore the whiners, if this place were so bad there wouldn't be so many weddings here.

Rooms Get a room with a harbor view. Our bathroom and room itself was really clean and modern. The beds are so comfy! Rooms include an assortment of coffee and tea

Customer Service

It really made me happy to see how fluid everything ran. The staff was awesome, the customer service was unbelievable. Staff was eager to help with any and everything. We booked a spa day, a discrepancy was made by the staff and was corrected with no argument. Even though this place is bustling, check-in was literally under a minute. There are no bell hops so we had to lug our own bags to our room, didn't mind that much. The staff make the resort in my opinion. They go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect.

Spa The spa experience was relaxing. After our massages, we took showers. The showers reminded me of the ones in college. They were actual stalls and kinda creepy. I've never encountered that in a spa. I felt like Jason, Michael Myers or Freddie would creep in. We enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi for hours then chilled on the little cabana thingys. The spa was clean clean clean.

The food. Everyone recommends the fish fry and it didn't disappoint. This fish was great and very fresh. We also had the best mojitos I've ever had. My apologies, the names of the restaurants escape me but they were all very good. We visited one of the places for the all you can eat prime rib, very very good.

Price The price is steep but you get what you pay for. It was well worth it.

There's a bonfire every night which we enjoyed. We're making this our annual summer getaway. Can't wait to visit next year we'll rent a boat next time. Thank you Abbey Resort!

Room Tip: Harbor View
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear London J,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay with us at The Abbey Resort. I was thrilled to read that you will be returning next year.

We take great satisfaction in providing our guests with outstanding customer service, a clean and updated guestroom, a clean and relaxing spa experience, and a cornucopia of delicious dining options.

Throughout 2013 we are celebrating our 50th anniversary with an array of hotel and spa renovations. On your next visit, it is likely that your experience in the spa shower stalls will be much different. I would also like to add that our valets also double as bellhops and on your next visit they will be ready to take your bags to your room.

Thank you for choosing The Abbey Resort for your vacation destination. It will be our pleasure to host your stay next year.

In Service,
Guest Service Manager

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!