“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The grounds are wonderful. I didn't expect such an old resort to be so charming and updated. We stayed 2 nights arriving on a Friday evening. Ignore the whiners, if this place were so bad there wouldn't be so many weddings here.

Rooms Get a room with a harbor view. Our bathroom and room itself was really clean and modern. The beds are so comfy! Rooms include an assortment of coffee and tea

Customer Service

It really made me happy to see how fluid everything ran. The staff was awesome, the customer service was unbelievable. Staff was eager to help with any and everything. We booked a spa day, a discrepancy was made by the staff and was corrected with no argument. Even though this place is bustling, check-in was literally under a minute. There are no bell hops so we had to lug our own bags to our room, didn't mind that much. The staff make the resort in my opinion. They go out of their way to make sure your stay is perfect.

Spa The spa experience was relaxing. After our massages, we took showers. The showers reminded me of the ones in college. They were actual stalls and kinda creepy. I've never encountered that in a spa. I felt like Jason, Michael Myers or Freddie would creep in. We enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi for hours then chilled on the little cabana thingys. The spa was clean clean clean.

The food. Everyone recommends the fish fry and it didn't disappoint. This fish was great and very fresh. We also had the best mojitos I've ever had. My apologies, the names of the restaurants escape me but they were all very good. We visited one of the places for the all you can eat prime rib, very very good.

Price The price is steep but you get what you pay for. It was well worth it.

There's a bonfire every night which we enjoyed. We're making this our annual summer getaway. Can't wait to visit next year we'll rent a boat next time. Thank you Abbey Resort!

Room Tip: Harbor View
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear London J,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay with us at The Abbey Resort. I was thrilled to read that you will be returning next year.

We take great satisfaction in providing our guests with outstanding customer service, a clean and updated guestroom, a clean and relaxing spa experience, and a cornucopia of delicious dining options.

Throughout 2013 we are celebrating our 50th anniversary with an array of hotel and spa renovations. On your next visit, it is likely that your experience in the spa shower stalls will be much different. I would also like to add that our valets also double as bellhops and on your next visit they will be ready to take your bags to your room.

Thank you for choosing The Abbey Resort for your vacation destination. It will be our pleasure to host your stay next year.

In Service,

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've enjoyed this location for the past 4 years and plan to continue coming here in the early fall to enjoy the crisp autumn breeze and changing colors.

The rooms are very comfortable and I would personally recommend the harbor view rooms, in building 5 on the second floor. Great harbor view, and great balcony to relax on and enjoy a cocktail or three.

We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet - while somewhat pricy for the area (26/ea), it was unparalleled in quality and variety. We both enjoyed several glasses of mimosa's, which were included.

Room Tip: Suggest building 4, 5 or 6 on the second floor. The rooms are in the 'main house', if you w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you have enjoyed our resort’s fall colors for the past four years.

We take great pride in providing a comfortable guestroom, an excellent location, and an unparalleled variety of delicious brunch items.

The rooms you mentioned are among the best in the hotel for a harbor view, I would like to add that Building One also has a wonderful view of the harbor.

Thank you for choosing The Abbey for your yearly fall getaway. I hope that we will have the opportunity to host your next stay sooner than next fall. If that is not the case, we are all looking forward to your return in fall of 2013.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It's too bad other travelers had bad experiences at this resort. I thought it was wonderful! This is not a posh, hoity-toity resort. It reminded me more of the resort in Dirty Dancing (withought the dancing). More family/wedding group/couples oriented. The customer service was top notch the whole time we were there, from the front desk staff to the gift shop worker to the cleaning staff to the spa attendants. My boyfriend and I went up during the middle of the week and we pretty much had a whole wing to ourselves so I can't speak for the walls being thin or people being loud. We never heard a peep from anyone else. The rooms are decorated nicely in a rustic style. Two sink bathroom with great tolietries. The room was very clean. The best part by far in the room was the BED. So comfortable, just the right amount of firmness. And incredibly soft sheets. We slept so well in this bed! We really enjoyed the Avani spa. The locker rooms are so nice you may not want to go out to the pool! A fireplace and a jacuzzi in the ladies room, a steam room in the men's. The towels were soft and clean. My boyfriend and I booked the Sanctuary Suite for 2 hours. This is a private room that has its own jacuzzi and outdoor seating area. We had a great time in this room but I enjoyed the public pool even more. This is an adults only pool. It's in a beautiful atrium with plenty of seating and outdoor areas. I could've spent all day in that pool! Of course we practically had the place to ourselves, but everyone who was there was very quiet and mello. We also spent time in the arcade room, which had a pretty darn good selection of arcade games plus table tennis and air hockey. We found prices to be very reasonable too, no ridiculous mark-ups like some resorts have. $3.50 latte's, $4.00 beers. We had a great time and will be going back soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Rochelle78,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us on Tripadvisor. We were all delighted to read that you can’t wait to come back.

Our team takes great pride in providing exceptional customer service, a clean & luxurious guestroom, and a quiet and relaxing spa experience.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort for your recent vacation. I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting your next stay in the very near future.

Oxford, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The Abbey is not a hotel for rest. We could hear every word said in the room next to us, and did not get to sleep until about 3am.

People were smoking outside our room and the smoke seemed to get in our room.

The rooms are extremely small.

We cut our stay short because we had such a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Stephen L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We value all of our guest’s feedback.

I was concerned to hear about your experience with noise in our resort, because we understand that one of the things you expect most when staying at a hotel is a good night's sleep. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems. Please contact me at 800.772.1000 so I can identify the room that is lacking the appropriate insulation.

I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay again; we will all do our best to insure your next stay is better than your last.

Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great weekend stay venue but a little pricey. Clean premises and variety of entertainment options. Fireworks show on Friday night was spectacular!! Two night minimum requirement is cost prohibitive for many.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear LynnBfromCA,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read that you had a great weekend.

We take great satisfaction in providing a clean guestroom and wide variety of dining options.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We are all looking forward to your return to the area in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We had a very disappointing experience. The spa and pool were closed and although we called the morning we were coming, we weren't told until late afternoon. No apologies or discounts even tho we had a spa package! Their bottom line is $, not the guest!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Kellyaron,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We value your feedback. I would like to apologize for the poor timing of our pool repairs; we had anticipated that the pools would have been open by the time of your arrival. Currently all the pools are operational and open for enjoyment.

It is true that we should have done a better job informing you that the pools were closed when you first called. I would like to sincerely apologize for our poor communication. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please call me at 800.772.1000.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Abbey for a wedding and our room was nice, but not luxurious. My husband was more disappointed with the accommodations than I was - he felt it was a little rustic. The service was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear TAP647,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We were pleased to read that you were impressed with the service level provided by our staff.

Our Resort is currently celebrating its 50th anniversary, and after 50 years we are staying true to the A-Frame lodge architecture with a series of renovations through 2013 that will help us provide a more luxurious experience without forgetting our roots.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. We hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Guest Service Manager

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!