“I can't wait to go back!” 4 of 5 stars

Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Portland, Oregon
“I can't wait to go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It's too bad other travelers had bad experiences at this resort. I thought it was wonderful! This is not a posh, hoity-toity resort. It reminded me more of the resort in Dirty Dancing (withought the dancing). More family/wedding group/couples oriented. The customer service was top notch the whole time we were there, from the front desk staff to the gift shop worker to the cleaning staff to the spa attendants. My boyfriend and I went up during the middle of the week and we pretty much had a whole wing to ourselves so I can't speak for the walls being thin or people being loud. We never heard a peep from anyone else. The rooms are decorated nicely in a rustic style. Two sink bathroom with great tolietries. The room was very clean. The best part by far in the room was the BED. So comfortable, just the right amount of firmness. And incredibly soft sheets. We slept so well in this bed! We really enjoyed the Avani spa. The locker rooms are so nice you may not want to go out to the pool! A fireplace and a jacuzzi in the ladies room, a steam room in the men's. The towels were soft and clean. My boyfriend and I booked the Sanctuary Suite for 2 hours. This is a private room that has its own jacuzzi and outdoor seating area. We had a great time in this room but I enjoyed the public pool even more. This is an adults only pool. It's in a beautiful atrium with plenty of seating and outdoor areas. I could've spent all day in that pool! Of course we practically had the place to ourselves, but everyone who was there was very quiet and mello. We also spent time in the arcade room, which had a pretty darn good selection of arcade games plus table tennis and air hockey. We found prices to be very reasonable too, no ridiculous mark-ups like some resorts have. $3.50 latte's, $4.00 beers. We had a great time and will be going back soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Rochelle78,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us on Tripadvisor. We were all delighted to read that you can’t wait to come back.

Our team takes great pride in providing exceptional customer service, a clean & luxurious guestroom, and a quiet and relaxing spa experience.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort for your recent vacation. I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting your next stay in the very near future.

Warmly,
Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Oxford, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The Abbey is not a hotel for rest. We could hear every word said in the room next to us, and did not get to sleep until about 3am.

People were smoking outside our room and the smoke seemed to get in our room.

The rooms are extremely small.

We cut our stay short because we had such a bad experience.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Stephen L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We value all of our guest’s feedback.

I was concerned to hear about your experience with noise in our resort, because we understand that one of the things you expect most when staying at a hotel is a good night's sleep. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the problems. Please contact me at 800.772.1000 so I can identify the room that is lacking the appropriate insulation.

I hope we have the opportunity to host your stay again; we will all do our best to insure your next stay is better than your last.

Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Great weekend stay venue but a little pricey. Clean premises and variety of entertainment options. Fireworks show on Friday night was spectacular!! Two night minimum requirement is cost prohibitive for many.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear LynnBfromCA,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to read that you had a great weekend.

We take great satisfaction in providing a clean guestroom and wide variety of dining options.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. We are all looking forward to your return to the area in the near future.

Warmly,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

We had a very disappointing experience. The spa and pool were closed and although we called the morning we were coming, we weren't told until late afternoon. No apologies or discounts even tho we had a spa package! Their bottom line is $, not the guest!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Kellyaron,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We value your feedback. I would like to apologize for the poor timing of our pool repairs; we had anticipated that the pools would have been open by the time of your arrival. Currently all the pools are operational and open for enjoyment.

It is true that we should have done a better job informing you that the pools were closed when you first called. I would like to sincerely apologize for our poor communication. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail please call me at 800.772.1000.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Abbey for a wedding and our room was nice, but not luxurious. My husband was more disappointed with the accommodations than I was - he felt it was a little rustic. The service was very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear TAP647,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. We were pleased to read that you were impressed with the service level provided by our staff.

Our Resort is currently celebrating its 50th anniversary, and after 50 years we are staying true to the A-Frame lodge architecture with a series of renovations through 2013 that will help us provide a more luxurious experience without forgetting our roots.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort. We hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

you'd think this was a high end resort. don't waste your time. the spa area was closed when we arrived, They did not know when or if it would reopen. no one called or emailed me in adavnce to let us know this. the 3 of us took off work and drove 2 hours in the rain. and no one at that resort cared. they said if we left we would not be charged anything, but that was not the point, we still lost out . had we cancelled they would have charged us a penalty of 1 night stay, we planned the "spa resort getaway" for over a month. and all they were offering was a hotel room. Now how does that take care of the customer, they should have offered to comepensate for the spa area being closed, or at least tell me before I go all the way up to the room, go to lunch, and have wasted time in a place that did not have what my package included. A simple gesture offering us a dinner, or a short massage, or a lesser charge for the SPA PACKAGE that was not. We stayed at another hotel, Geneva Ridge, and they had abosolutley the BEST customer service they could not do enough for us, great service great food, great masage & spa area was working. The Abbey apparently does not care about the reputation they create.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Poveda35805,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. We value your feedback. I would like to apologize for the poor timing of our pool repairs; we had anticipated that the pools would have been open by the time of your arrival. Currently all the pools are operational and open for enjoyment.

I would like to address your customer service experience at our resort. It is true that we should have done a better job informing you that the pools were closed when you arrived. I would like to sincerely apologize for our poor communication. At the time we took steps to insure your frustrations were resolved. Unfortunately, they were not to your satisfaction. If you would like to discuss your stay further please call me at 800.772.1000.

In Service,
Dana Point, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Check-in was a breeze and the valet (Michael?) was personable and efficient. Nicole at the front desk either wasn't having a good night or she doesn't like people. She muttered barely enough words to check us in, but not happily. She was efficient....which was nice. I think we were at the front desk a total of 90 seconds. I hate standing at the front desk for 15 minutes when everything should have been ready, so the fact that she didn't appear to want to be there and the fact they had everything under control, we were in our room within 3 minutes of pulling up to the Abbey. Sometimes you gotta fake it 'til you make it.

The food was average. Irma was efficient and did her job well.

The Waterfront bar was great for an average person like me (not a clubber). Jayne was amazing. I feel like plucking great people like her up to work for me!

The property was relaxing and beautiful.

My business partner LOVED her facial and her spa time.

****The beds were awesome. I almost ordered one while I was there, so when I arrived home, it would be waiting for me. I hadn't slept that well in 14 years.

The rooms were clean and taken care of well. They were bright and airy. Plenty of towels AND when i arrived my pillows had been already changed out, as requested. I can't do down.

I do plan on returning with my family next year and perhaps make this something we do each year. Wisconsin was beautiful and slower than California, which was really great.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the first floor with a door right out to the grass and marina. The other side of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Markus S, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Subluxfixer,

We take great satisfaction in providing a comfortable bed, beautiful views, and an unparalleled spa experience.

I was proud to read the notes you left about our valet, server, and bartender. We take great effort to ensure all of our associates are as hospitable as the ones you mentioned. We will be working with all of our associates to ensure they maintain our standards of hospitality.

In Service,
Guest Service Manager

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!