“Perfect Villa Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Abbey Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Abbey Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   269 Fontana Blvd., Fontana, WI 53125   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Fontana
Illinois City, Illinois
“Perfect Villa Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My family and I have always stayed at a resort right in Lake Geneva. Since last year, I discovered the Abbey. This was my 4th visit in 7 months. Each visit is better than the last. We rented a beautiful ground floor villa directly across from the harbor. We had family coming and going throughout our stay so also rented a resort view room with King bed and sleeper sofa. It was within walking distance of our villa. The villa had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Everything we needed was there. Our kitchen was beautiful. We had many family meals outside on our large patio.

The housekeeping service was wonderful. They accommodated our requests to come at certain times as we were working around the baby's naps. We returned each day to an impeccably clean villa. We did not use the spa - but I have in past visits and I highly recommend it! The best pool in the Midwest is at the spa. My husband and I feel a visit to the Abbey is not complete without having breakfast at the Fontana Grill. The service is excellent and the food is outstanding. We love their breakfast potatoes. Everything you need for a great vacation was just outside our door at the Abbey. The outdoor pools were steps away. It was so quiet and peaceful. So very different from our experiences staying in Lake Geneva. The Abbey has so many activities for families and children. My 5 yr. old grandson loved the game room best and the good old fashioned board games were played over and over. Battleship is now his favorite. The night they returned home, my daughter called to tell me my grandson was crying because he missed the game room! There were always others playing the board games when we were. It felt like a very quaint resort with every modern amenity! My daughter and son in law said it reminded them of the resort from Dirty Dancing - minus the dancers! They are now recommending it to their friends for their families.

We took advantage of the children's crafts in Rainbow Point with our grandson and despite the warm evening, we roasted marshmallows and made smores at the bonfire. When we left the pool one day, we entertained my 14 month old grandson with the giant bubbles set out with the other outdoor games - the giant checkers and bags games. If you get bored at the Abbey, it is your own fault. There were even organized games at the pool for the little ones such as Simon Says.

When you stay at the Abbey, you have free access to the beautiful beach across the road. It was clean and well maintained. We brought a picnic each day we went and then returned to swim in the Abbey pools. There is really something here for everyone. There is a wonderful pool table just off the lobby with poker table and shuffle board. My son and husband enjoyed the pool table. There is a small matinee where evening movies were shown. They also had movies shown at the large indoor pool. I can't express enough how much we love the Abbey. Without exception each staff member we encountered was phenomenal. Sarah assisted my husband and I back in February and helped us finalize our vacation plans. It is a pleasure to see Jose, Molly, Cynthia and Jill - all wonderful representatives of the Abbey. During our very first stay at the Abbey, Jose sealed our love of the Abbey by showing us around the resort and villas when we told him we wanted to rent one for our family vacation. When I returned a month later in October with a friend who had flown in from Texas, Jose was again wonderful - driving us to our destination because it was raining - even though we told him we could walk as it was close.

I see my family returning to the villa every year for our family vacation. My 5 y/o grandson said it best as we were leaving, "Next year, we're staying longer!" He's absolutely right!

Room Tip: When staying at the main resort, Harbor rooms are worth the extra $. Beautiful views!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Illinois1,

Thank you for your extensive review of our resort. I was excited to read about how much you enjoyed our facilities.

We take great pride in the warmth of our staff, the cornucopia of children’s activity offerings, and the luxuriousness of our guestrooms; and we appreciate your acknowledgment.

I took the time to share your response with our entire hotel staff and they were just as pleased to read it as I was. Thank you again for your post, I hope you will be able to join us again in the very near future.

In Service,

573 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a beautiful area of Wisconsin. The resort facilities are dated, but do have charm. Amenities are convenient, however, the Abbey will squeeze every possible dollar out of you in providing the amenities. Be sure to check your resort bill when checking out, they seem to have issues with "accounting gliches" that when explained are quite commical for someone with common sense.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear 178Travel,

We appreciate hearing back from our guests whether it is positive or negative. Your feedback is very important to improving and maintaining our services.

Thank you for your compliments about our location and the charm of our facility, we take great pride in providing a comfortable and at home atmosphere.

The Abbey Resort team‘s goal is to keep our guests coming back by providing unparalleled service at a great value. I would like the opportunity to discuss your bill in more detail, as we are not in any way looking to take advantage of our guests.

Please contact the hotel at 800.772.1000 so we can resolve your accounting errors.

st. charles, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Just returned from an average stay. The kiddie pool is very outdated. The slide is dangerous as the kids were hitting their heads on the inside. Also, they took out the colorful climb on animals in the middle. It is very boring and my kids wanted to leave after 10 minutes. Also, we were starving and were told the cabana that offer hamburgers etc... wasn't opening until 3pm!!!!!! What? It's Friday folks! So, we schlepped to the other restaurants only to find a long wait. What a joke. We were told to order room service by the pool...oh but wait, there was a long wait for that too and big prices. I just wanted a hamburger and so did my kids. This place used to be so warm and welcoming with music by the pool, larger towels, games for the kids. Now, it reminds me of a rundown motel. The rooms are nice and the grounds are ok but if your kids are bored, why stay?? Oh, and the pool staff are very rude and have WAY TOO MANY PETTY RULES.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Kchicago,

We appreciate hearing back from our guests whether it is positive or negative. Your feedback is very important to improving our services.

With regards to the Gazebo Grille, you are absolutely right! We agree that opening at 3:00PM was way too late, and the Gazebo Grill now opens at 12:00PM every Friday. Thank you for your suggestion.

I spoke with our Activities Director, and she would like to apologize for the way you were treated by the pool staff. She also informed me that the slides conform to the standard specifications of any water park slide, and meet all safety standards. She also let me know that the climbing toys had reached the end of their life for safe use and were removed, and the open space now allows for more people to participate in water volleyball. The only pool rules that we enforce are either required by the state, or for the convenience of all resort guests.

Thank you again for your feedback, without it we would be unable to address our challenges and celebrate our successes. I hope you would be willing to give us another try in the future.

Beloit, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Very happy with our stay at Abbey over fathers day weekend.the staff were very helpful,and we didnt have to stand around for an hour to get checked in.the rooms were very clean and comfortable.we only stayed one nite this time but we are already planning a week stay.the beach is in short walking distant as are shops and a must stop is chucks!!super nice staff and the people in there are the same.we dont have 1 complaint at all on our weekend at the Abbey Resort.!!!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the resort view of the walk way.was very nice and pleasent.on our next stay we will be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin C,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Father’s Day Vacation.

We take great pride in our excellent customer service at the front desk and throughout the hotel, the quality and cleanliness of our guestrooms, and our central location to all of the activities Fontana has to offer.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort for your Father’s Day escape. We are all looking forward to your next stay with us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Went up to Lake Geneva, WI for Father's Day, on a whim, got a room at the Abbey. Hadn't been in there in over 10 years, and boy have they improved. Room was great (around pool area with back door out to pool) and totally updated. I'm actually sad I haven't been visiting more often. Whole hotel has been updated, staff was friendly at every turn and knew the answers. Its a sprawling place with different levels and wings, but easy to figure out. Marina was great with many wonderful boats docked (rentals and water sports available from Gordy's on site). Highly recommend for anyone looking for a fun, weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for what you like. If you want around the pool, marina, city view or forest view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Polarhq,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Father’s Day getaway.

We take great satisfaction in our excellent customer service, the quality of our guestrooms, and relaxed atmosphere of the Abbey Marina & Waterfront Cafe.

Thank you again for choosing The Abbey Resort for your vacation, all of us at the hotel are looking forward to your next visit. I’m hoping it will be sooner than 10 years from now.

In Service,
Arlington Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This property has gone through many changes over the years, but I was pleasantly surprised by the way my room had been upgraded. It was very nice, and the bathroom, too, was nice to go into.

Room Tip: I suspect that all room locations connect to the main lodge / lobby. Mine was quiet. You could ask...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Dear 0552travel,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Abbey Resort. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We take great pride in the luxuriousness of our guestrooms, and we appreciate the recognition.

Thank you for choosing the Abbey Resort for your recent vacation, we are all looking forward to your next visit.

Warmly,
Belleville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The property is beautifully located on Lake Geneva and near down town Lake Geneva. A better adult choice than Timber Ridge. The property was built before the ADA was enacted. Think stairs EVERYWHERE TO EVERYTHING -- to guest rooms, from one event room to another, to the lobby. No elevators. Then think 1960's lodge architecture. They could film Madmen here. Starbucks cafe, beautiful outdoor patios to enjoy lake views. Bathroom was updated, room was average with 2 beds. There is a children's arcade which is noisy - pick a room away from this spot. One thing that was creepy, the place has one continuous balcony & at 10:30 pm I had drunk guests outside my sliding door one foot from my bed - they kept walking by. Loud ice makers at end of hall. Again motel layout. Staff was nice, but this is NOT a luxury resort. If you have bad knees or physical limitations this will be an impossible getaway.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear BellburgMaggie,

Thank you for your recent post, we appreciate any and all guest feedback. Without your comments we would be unable to address our challenges and celebrate our successes effectively.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful landscapes, our proximity to the downtown area, and our luxurious bathrooms.

When construction on The Abbey concluded in 1963 the result was the largest A-frame in the Midwest. Since then we have undergone numerous additions and a complete remodel in 2005. Following the resort wide remodel a list of area specific updates started in 2010. Our most recent update was a resort wide 42” HDTV television upgrade for all of our guestrooms.

I would agree that our property takes up a great deal of space, and would recommend asking for a room close to the lobby if mobility is an issue. I would like to take the time to clear up one misnomer: We do have elevators, and they make all of our meeting rooms, dining options, and activities wheelchair accessible.

I was very disheartened to read that you did not completely enjoy your visit. Please accept my sincere apology. I will be addressing your concerns at our weekly managers meeting. While our resort receives many compliments; we are not content until every guest is completely satisfied. I hope we have the opportunity to host your vacation again.

Guest Service Manager

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!