“Extremely Haunted” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Retlaw Plaza

Save Saved
You added Retlaw Plaza to your Saves list
Retlaw Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 North Main Street, Fond du Lac, WI 54935 (Formerly Ramada Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
“Extremely Haunted”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My friend and I stayed here in Aug. of 2012. I've been meaning to write this review for awhile, but I am still having a hard time believing what happened. We thought it would be fun to stay here for the adventure of being in a haunted hotel. I read all the reviews on-line and knew that the 7th floor was the center of all the activity. I didn't tell my friend this, because I didn't want her to freak out. Anyway, tried to book the hotel on-line and kept getting a message that the hotel was completely sold out, which was weird for a Sunday night. After trying a few times, I called the hotel directly, and they had plenty of rooms available. This should have been my first clue. So, we get to the hotel and the front desk guy hands over the keys, and we are in room 719, right next to 717, which is supposedly the most haunted room in the hotel. Get up to the room and took a shower right away and I kept hearing loud knocking coming from an inside wall, and I really thought is was my friend, but I still hadn't told her about the 7th floor, the activity centered around 717 or the knocking heard in the bathrooms. She assured me that she wasn't knocking, but she heard it too. I asked her if it could have been someone knocking on a door out in the hallway, but she said she looked out and didn't see anything. So, I told her everything I read on-line about the hauntings. So we went out for dinner, got back to the hotel fairly early and were just laying around watching TV, when we kept hearing all these noises in the hallway. Upon further investigation, we figured out it was the ice machine around the corner, so we laughed it off and fell asleep. It was a very sleepless night indeed. My friend said she was kept up by me thrashing around wildly in my bed during the night. We travel together quite a bit, so she knows my sleep habits, and she said she had never seen anything like it in her life. She said I looked like a rag doll being thrown around in my bed. She also said she kept hearing someone walking up and down the hallway during the night with a ring of keys jangling, but when she would open the door no one was in the hallway. Cut to the next morning. I woke up and could barely move. My entire body felt like someone had beaten the living daylights out of me. I was literally in tears because of the pain, however, I had no bruising or outward signs of any trauma. After I got a few Advil in me, the pain subsided. So we packed up and opened the door to leave the room and a HUGE stem of plastic flowers fell into the room. Both my friend and I screamed bloody murder, because it took us by surprise. Obviously, someone had placed this stem of flowers against our door, as they knew it would fall into the room at our feet when we opened the door. After a short discussion, we decided it had to be a hotel employee or someone messing around with us, and I was really upset by this. We went downstairs to check out and I was asking the front desk guy (the same one that checked us in) who else had stayed on our floor that night, and he wasn't very forthcoming with information. He saw that I was really upset and asked what happened. When I told him and also threw in the fact that it wasn't funny and it scared us to death, he said it would not have been anyone employed by the hotel. Another hotel employee was standing nearby and overhead the conversation, and she confirmed the fact that their employees would definitely not kid around like that, and she wanted to know if we knew the haunted history of the hotel, and she alluded to the fact that it wasn't a human trying to scare us. It just creeped me out totally. Here's the kicker! My friend thinks that Walter the ghost was the one tossing me around that night, and he left the flowers at the door as an apology! Believe what you may, but this really happened, and I don't think I would ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay on the 7th floor, flat screens or not.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw for the weekend while visiting my daughter at the college down the street. The location was very convenient as it is walking distance to a number of cute little shops and pubs. We stayed on the 7th floor which we heard had been recently updated. The room was very clean and was perfect for what we were there for. We had the complimentary breakfast and it was good. Not a large variety but the chef making the omelets was very accomdating (we forgot our tickets and he gave us the breakfast without making us go all the way back to our room to get them) If you are into ghosts...the stories of it being haunted are definitely true! We had a number of incidents that were a little odd. First, my sister was in the shower and when she got out the water was turned on in the sink! Nobody had been in the bathroom and she did not use the sink prior to getting into the shower. Second, we came back to the room and there was a side table and large sitting chair stacked and leaning against the door of room 717 (the room that is apparently the most haunted). We at first laughed thinking that it was some crazy kids but then learned later that it is called "ghost stacking." We had takend a picture and there was no way that anyone could get those two things to balance the way they were!

All in all it was a nice hotel! The staff was extremely friendly, food was good, the bar was convenient. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The 7th floor is updated with flat screen tv's. The other floors have tube televisions and are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I spent one night and we liked our stay. Downtown location was convenient, but the sign on the outside of hotel reads Ramada, while the reservation reads Retlaw Plaza, so we were a bit confused. The staff was nice, our room was on 7th floor, clean, comfortable, and quiet. Breakfast was all right, chef prepared us omelet and waffles, but not much else to choose from. Free covered parking lot on the side of hotel was convenient. Reasonable for the price we paid. Would recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We took two rooms for the Oshkosh event.
A tired and worn out hotel which has definitely seen better days and needs money spending in it to take it out of the time warp.
Rubbish and old furniture rotting outside when you look out of your room windows. Makes you wonder how they store and keep other things......
Dinner- there's a converted charge that's now a bar and restaurant, spend your money and evening there.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I would've grade this property as terrible, but because of the reservation agent, I decided to give it a poor rating. More on that later. Don't let the lobby/bar pictures fool you, the rooms are in terrible shape. Beds are hard, you still get the Zenith tube televisions (except for floor 7) and stains on the furniture! The rooms are dark with drab colors. Also, there is a musty odor in the air. This hotel is switching owners again, Ramada back to Retlaw. I was told the rooms have been upgraded. But to get those rooms, you need to request floor 7. Upgrades? You get a flat screen TV.

The location of this hotel is in the heart of downtown. Walking distance to many local restaurants and pubs. Unfortunately, this hotel needs a complete overhaul if you are thinking about staying here. This is the second time that I had to leave a hotel and cancel my booking. As I mentioned earlier, the desk agent was very helpful and cancelled my room on the spot, without any pushback, even after 6pm. That was very nice of her. Stayed (visited) in the mini suite, just not worth it.
Until you have proof that this hotel has been completely renovated, don't stay here.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, recommend the 7th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Webster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw one night. Our clean, double, queen room had comfy beds, nice bathroom amenities and plenty of space. At my husband's request, the evening restaurant staff modified their meatball sandwich menu choice into a spaghetti and meatballs plate - very accommodating. Our breakfast omelet was great & was complimented with breads, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt & beverages. The reasonable room-rate, booked through Priceline, included free parking and breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would book here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw for 3 nights over the weekend. The hotel was full. I was excited to get coffee in the lobby at the fabulous coffee bar that was advertised on the website. It was never open. When I inquired about that I was told that it was only staffed during the week, yet it wasn't open Monday morning either. The had a hot continental breakfast that was really nice with the exception of Saturday when the Chef got frustrated because his eggs were sticking to the pan and walked off the job. This hotel could be a gem with some improvements.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Retlaw Plaza? Share your experiences!