“It's the small things...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Retlaw Plaza

Save Saved
You added Retlaw Plaza to your Saves list
Retlaw Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 North Main Street, Fond du Lac, WI 54935 (Formerly Ramada Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Fond du Lac
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“It's the small things...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw for the weekend while visiting my daughter at the college down the street. The location was very convenient as it is walking distance to a number of cute little shops and pubs. We stayed on the 7th floor which we heard had been recently updated. The room was very clean and was perfect for what we were there for. We had the complimentary breakfast and it was good. Not a large variety but the chef making the omelets was very accomdating (we forgot our tickets and he gave us the breakfast without making us go all the way back to our room to get them) If you are into ghosts...the stories of it being haunted are definitely true! We had a number of incidents that were a little odd. First, my sister was in the shower and when she got out the water was turned on in the sink! Nobody had been in the bathroom and she did not use the sink prior to getting into the shower. Second, we came back to the room and there was a side table and large sitting chair stacked and leaning against the door of room 717 (the room that is apparently the most haunted). We at first laughed thinking that it was some crazy kids but then learned later that it is called "ghost stacking." We had takend a picture and there was no way that anyone could get those two things to balance the way they were!

All in all it was a nice hotel! The staff was extremely friendly, food was good, the bar was convenient. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The 7th floor is updated with flat screen tv's. The other floors have tube televisions and are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I spent one night and we liked our stay. Downtown location was convenient, but the sign on the outside of hotel reads Ramada, while the reservation reads Retlaw Plaza, so we were a bit confused. The staff was nice, our room was on 7th floor, clean, comfortable, and quiet. Breakfast was all right, chef prepared us omelet and waffles, but not much else to choose from. Free covered parking lot on the side of hotel was convenient. Reasonable for the price we paid. Would recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

We took two rooms for the Oshkosh event.
A tired and worn out hotel which has definitely seen better days and needs money spending in it to take it out of the time warp.
Rubbish and old furniture rotting outside when you look out of your room windows. Makes you wonder how they store and keep other things......
Dinner- there's a converted charge that's now a bar and restaurant, spend your money and evening there.

• Stayed July 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I would've grade this property as terrible, but because of the reservation agent, I decided to give it a poor rating. More on that later. Don't let the lobby/bar pictures fool you, the rooms are in terrible shape. Beds are hard, you still get the Zenith tube televisions (except for floor 7) and stains on the furniture! The rooms are dark with drab colors. Also, there is a musty odor in the air. This hotel is switching owners again, Ramada back to Retlaw. I was told the rooms have been upgraded. But to get those rooms, you need to request floor 7. Upgrades? You get a flat screen TV.

The location of this hotel is in the heart of downtown. Walking distance to many local restaurants and pubs. Unfortunately, this hotel needs a complete overhaul if you are thinking about staying here. This is the second time that I had to leave a hotel and cancel my booking. As I mentioned earlier, the desk agent was very helpful and cancelled my room on the spot, without any pushback, even after 6pm. That was very nice of her. Stayed (visited) in the mini suite, just not worth it.
Until you have proof that this hotel has been completely renovated, don't stay here.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, recommend the 7th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Webster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw one night. Our clean, double, queen room had comfy beds, nice bathroom amenities and plenty of space. At my husband's request, the evening restaurant staff modified their meatball sandwich menu choice into a spaghetti and meatballs plate - very accommodating. Our breakfast omelet was great & was complimented with breads, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt & beverages. The reasonable room-rate, booked through Priceline, included free parking and breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would book here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw for 3 nights over the weekend. The hotel was full. I was excited to get coffee in the lobby at the fabulous coffee bar that was advertised on the website. It was never open. When I inquired about that I was told that it was only staffed during the week, yet it wasn't open Monday morning either. The had a hot continental breakfast that was really nice with the exception of Saturday when the Chef got frustrated because his eggs were sticking to the pan and walked off the job. This hotel could be a gem with some improvements.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there one night for a wedding on the third floor. It was fine until I woke up around 2 am with something whispering in my ear and a heavy pressure on top of me. I was awake yet frozen and could not move or speak. The feeling must have lasted a minute but it felt like an eternity. I could not sleep for the rest of the night...spent the rest of the night listening to noises in the hall way. I checked out first thing in the early morning. Since then I will forever belief in the "paranormal".

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Retlaw Plaza? Share your experiences!