“Just right” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Retlaw Plaza

Save Saved
You added Retlaw Plaza to your Saves list
Retlaw Plaza
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 North Main Street, Fond du Lac, WI 54935 (Formerly Ramada Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Webster
“Just right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw one night. Our clean, double, queen room had comfy beds, nice bathroom amenities and plenty of space. At my husband's request, the evening restaurant staff modified their meatball sandwich menu choice into a spaghetti and meatballs plate - very accommodating. Our breakfast omelet was great & was complimented with breads, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt & beverages. The reasonable room-rate, booked through Priceline, included free parking and breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would book here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Retlaw for 3 nights over the weekend. The hotel was full. I was excited to get coffee in the lobby at the fabulous coffee bar that was advertised on the website. It was never open. When I inquired about that I was told that it was only staffed during the week, yet it wasn't open Monday morning either. The had a hot continental breakfast that was really nice with the exception of Saturday when the Chef got frustrated because his eggs were sticking to the pan and walked off the job. This hotel could be a gem with some improvements.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there one night for a wedding on the third floor. It was fine until I woke up around 2 am with something whispering in my ear and a heavy pressure on top of me. I was awake yet frozen and could not move or speak. The feeling must have lasted a minute but it felt like an eternity. I could not sleep for the rest of the night...spent the rest of the night listening to noises in the hall way. I checked out first thing in the early morning. Since then I will forever belief in the "paranormal".

• Stayed November 2012
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights for a wedding. Here are the highs and lows of our stay:
Staff - This was the high point. Front desk staff are very helpful and friendly. Banquet staff did a great job serving quickly and efficiently. And they were friendly, too.
Ballroom - We thoroughly enjoyed the wedding reception in the ballroom. There's a nice outdoor patio so the wedding guests could spread out. We didn't see any ghosts.
Location - We enjoyed Saturday sidewalk sales and walking down to Lakeside Park (a little over a mile). There aren't a lot of shopping options downtown, which is unfortunate because you can tell this was once a thriving area. But we did like Cujak's Wine Market, Bagelmeister, Kremer Pharmacy where we bought locally produced chocolates, Trinity for cocktails and Schnikelfritz for beer (except when they ran out of Spotted Cow). However, if we hadn't been there for a wedding, I don't know if the location would've been favorable.
Room - The good part was getting a corner room. We never heard other guests. The bad part was that the room was worn. I didn't sit in the chair because the fabric on the arms looked grimy. I wanted to wear my shoes the whole time so my feet wouldn't touch the carpet. The bathroom was clean but outdated. You get 4 amenities: 1 bar of soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 lotion. Another bar of soap would be helpful. At least towels were plentiful. Here was the odd part: The bed was made wrong! Bottom sheet, blanket, top sheet and bedspread. Ew! Why would the top sheet go over the blanket?? Maybe the ghost was acting up, visiting the 5th floor and rearranging the bedclothes. If the ghost was there, we never heard it because the air conditioner was loud. Very effective but loud.
It just wasn't a comfortable room. We did our best to be out the room as much as possible.

I'm sorry to say I

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked through Priceline and were nervous after reading others haunted reviews. We somehow ended up in room 717. I was ok with that because I don't believe in that stuff... Or didn't. Felt my hair get pulled around 2:30am and heard strange noises all night so I didn't get much sleep. My husband drank enough beer at the wedding we attended to sleep soundly. Guess he had the right idea! I would have loved to explore other areas.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is an old hotel that they have tried to renovate but it is a not worth considering for a stay. It is in a dying part of the downtown area. Parts of the hotel smell musty and we had to meander through the hallways like a maze just to get to our room. The room (especially the bathroom) was small and the management is poor. We parked in a ramp nearby where we had to park on the 4th level, then walk down to the street level to walk into the hotel, and then proceed to the elevators where we stayed on the 6th floor. You could hear plenty of voices and noise from the adjacent rooms. We stayed here as part of a wedding block but we would not consider staying here for ANY future stay in Fond du Lac, WI.

Room Tip: Stay on the edges of town where the newer hotels are located.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was fine - it is an older establishment with a slight musty odor, however, the staff spooked my kids regaling stories of the haunted hotel and how there were different rooms on the 7th floor that were the rooms of ghosts like a ballerina and a ghost names Walter. Thankfully, we were in the 6th floor, but it didn't give my kiddos exactly a great night sleep as they kept waking up wondering if they'd heard a ghost.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Retlaw Plaza? Share your experiences!