“A trip back in time for great comfort food, and a beer” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 111 restaurants in Fond du Lac
Cuisines: American
Des Moines, Iowa
“A trip back in time for great comfort food, and a beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This lunch stop while driving across Wisconsin was just what we needed that day. (Thank-you Trip Advisor!) After almost a week of traveling and some fine dining, the good old-fashioned comfort food here was just perfect. It reminded me of a very large, small town cafe with waitresses that had worked there forever and knew all the regulars. A notable feature (which we missed) was happy hour...pub happy hour (next door) and pie happy hour in the restaurant...I'm not sure which sounded best! A family owned place dating back to the 1930's it still had the old fashioned charm and service (from ladies in dresses). (Note to the reviewer wondering about the pineapple decor, the pineapple is historically a symbol of hospitality.) The menu was pretty diverse, offering several sandwiches, salads and plated options during lunch. Some of the breakfast items were available all day too. My spouse started with the clam chowder and enjoyed it. It was a hot day so he was craving something cool and not too heavy as we still had several miles to drive. The cool salad plate won his vote, with options of chicken, tuna, egg or ham salads (2 scoops same or 2 different) plus cottage cheese and muskmelon. (Really, where else do you find that anymore?) I opted for beans & weenies in the smaller portion (love it when I have that option) which included a dinner roll and salad (I choose the cole slaw) and was supposed to include (mashed?) potato but I asked to substitute the American fried potatoes (from breakfast menu)....YUM! The beans were really good and made from scratch. Being hot and thirsty, I was happy to see a table tent promoting the featured beer...I love this state! We were catching a later lunch and didn't realize they close at 2pm on Mondays, so there was not time (or room) for dessert, but boy did the pies sound good! Next time we pass through, I'm splurging on pie too!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Oregon City, Oregon
“What's up with the pineapple?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This restaurant was like going back in time. Waitresses wearing skirts and old time vibe. The food was ok. I had the all you can eat wings and once I found a flavor I liked I was set. I couldn't understand the pineapple wallpaper border and pineapple in the fruit bowl on the glass walls because there is no pineapple on the menu.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Granville, Illinois
“A good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by people at the tourist information center. The food was good - I had the Cheese Soup and a salad. The service was slow and the waitress hardly ever came back to check on us. I had a hard time getting a second cup of coffee.

Visited August 2013
Plainfield, Illinois
“Schreiner's is a Fond du Lac institution!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Schreiner's history dates back to the 1930's. As family restaurants go, this is a favorite of mine. The somewhat dated decor is just part of the charm. Friendly staff and good food; can't ask for much more than that. Worth a try.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bring one bring all....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Pub room can hold parties up to 30... 250 in the dining room. Nice place to meet friends who don't live near by! Great food even for breakfast!

• Visited June 2013