“Getting better, but still much room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Getting better, but still much room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

One year on from my first stay at this hotel I visited again. Hooray! Some improvements had been made so I felt it only fair to write an updated review to reflect the changes.

Here's what I liked in terms of improvements:
The same great service was still there, as was the warm, welcoming feeling and large, festive Christmas tree in Reception. When I saw that Dukes had gone, to be replaced by an Italian restaurant called Benvenutos I was very pleased! The bar and restaurant are a big improvement, as is the menu choice and overall atmosphere. Each meal was kicked off with complimentary focaccia bread,complete with olive oil and (quite bizarrely), a saucer of dry herbs for mixing. Not quite as it's done in Italy (at least from my experience in that country), but a huge improvement on Dukes nonetheless.

Here are the things that still need improving:
Benvenutos offers lots of very nice tables covered with white tablecloths, but why oh why cover them with white paper? They may save on the washing machine but coupled with the bright lighting they made me feel like I was a three-year-old at a birthday party. Such a shame! Sadly, the rooms are yet to be updated so I sighed when I entered my room to see the musty smell, lack of a safe, noisy and annoying heater, freezing-then-boiling air temperature and lack of power points near the bed were all still there, as yet unchanged.

Here is my top tip:
Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard for privacy. Last year I had a room overlooking the car park and nearly had a shock when I opened my curtains to see somebody getting into their truck right outside my window. This year I had been booked into a similar room, but managed to get a different room and although further to walk, I got a much nicer view and full privacy.

Overall, it was great to see investments have been made and the bar and restaurant are much better, although not authentically Italian. I hope the rooms will be updated in 2014 and the whole hotel will be much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard, not the carpark.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments. Yes we do have a new franchise restaurant in the hotel and it is a great improvement. Sorry about the paper on the tables but that is a requirement of the franchise. As for renovating the rooms, we hope to start this next year. We are very pleased that you came back this year and we hope you will see even more changes next year. Enjoy the Holidays and thank you for taking time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable hotel, decor a bit dated but clean. Staff is great at front desk, breakfast servers could beyou better. New restaurant and bar is very nice. Easy on / off highway. Didn't get a chance to use but pool area and exercise room looked nice.

• Stayed December 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The new restaurant and bar are really well done and I hope you enjoyed the food. Your comment is very helpful since we have a lot of new staff with opening this new restaurant. With it being the Holiday Season I really appreciate that you took the time to write us, since it is such a busy time of year. We hope you will return soon and have a wonderful Holiday .
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We came for a one night stay to attend an antique aircraft banquet. Couldn't find a sitter for our two Newfoundlands so I was going to cancel. When I called & explained about our dogs the lady at the desk said it was a pet friendly hotel & we should bring them. Since they are so quiet and docile we decided to go for it. The staff couldn't have been better . They put us by an exit door in a really nice clean room. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
I was very pleased that you came for this banquet. Your group has been coming here for about 30 years now. I know this because I remember bartending for your group that many years ago. Yes we are a pet friendly hotel and I'm glad they got you right by an exit to walk your dogs. I've said it many times in these review and I'll say it again my staff is what makes this a great palce to stay. We are looking forward to having your group back again next year and bring your dogs as well. Again thank you for the kind review, we really appreciate it.
Martinsville, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We were disappointed in this hotel considering how nice other Holiday Inns are. It is very evident in places that this building is past it's prime. They are remodeling the cafe but the whole place needs it.
We really didn't like the inside room overlooking the common area. We were kept awake by folks talking as they sat at the tables. They weren't being loud but we had to turn the a/c fan on to cover the noise. The hotel seemed far from everything in town too. Perhaps if we knew the town better we would find short cuts. Overall we've stayed at better and far worse. The people were nice and the rooms clean but worn.

• Stayed September 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. These comments are very important to us and had we known sooner maybe we could of moved you away from the common area so you could of enjoyed yourself. We will be doing more renovations once the current project is completed. We certainly want you to stay with us again.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel was really nice. We stayed in an average room and the staff were great in every aspect. First we they assigned us to a room on the second floor and since they do not have an elevator we asked for a first floor room. They gave us two options and one of those we found out was a more expensive room yet there would not have been an increase in the rate.
They do not only have a breakfast bar but a restaurant so that if you do not wish to have anything from the bountiful selection you can order from the restaurant.
We enjoyed our time there and would recommend this Holiday Inn as one of their better ones.

Room Tip: It all depends upon your preferences. I do not use the pool and wanted a quieter room so I mentione...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I happy your stay was a memorable one and the staff was accommodating. An elevator would be a great asset to our hotel and we've been looking into plans for adding one. I also want to thank you for your time to write a review. We hope you will make us your first choice the next time you visit Fond du Lac Wisconsin.
Mn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at this HI last week. They are going thru a restaurant reconstruction which should be done late this year, but the rooms have been updated. Quite nice actually. I was a little worried driving up to it since it was an old style Holiday Inn, 2 stories, long hallways, etc. but the front desk folks were very informative and friendly. Breakfast was ok, hot and cold choices. The pool appeared to be clean. We would stay here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Yes, this is an older property and we do continue to update areas so it is fairly nice for it's age. I hope the removation of the restaurant and bar wasn't to much of an inconvience to you. It's going to be very nice when it's complete. As you can see from most of the reviews, we do have a friendly caring staff which is so important to our guests. I thank you for the kind words and the time to write. We hope you'll be in the area again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Get a room with door to pool area...we'll worth a couple extra $'s. Kids have a blast with quarters and swimsuits and go to bed tired. Food not bad also. Restaurant and bar currently under renovation so you can eat by the pool area as a bonus. God parking close to rooms.

Stayed October 2013
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Glad to hear your family had a great time at our hotel. There are only 4 rooms like the one you had and they are usually booked every weekend. The spacious Indoor Recreation Center does offer a lot to the family traveler. We hope to see you again this year and thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about our hotel.

Been to Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac? Share your experiences!