“Very nice service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Fond du Lac
Madison, Wisconsin
“Very nice service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 1 night for Mens state bowling. The check in was so easy. I had to get help 2x during my stay. The first was where to order pizza and they gave me 2 menus as each of them had a different opinion. But, that was exactly what we were looking for-local opinion.
The other time I needed help was we were already checked out and left something in the room. They issued me a key to go back.
The room was very nice, bed was comfortable and so the chair. Pool area is huge and very comforting. Duffy's steakhouse-service again was fantastic. I didnt eat but our friends did-2x and liked it.
the breakfast buffet was probably the best I have seen. lots of choices and good choices. I could have eaten everything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I hope bowling went well too. Like I've said many times in these reviews, it's the wonderful staff that makes the difference. We are very glad to hear you had a chance to relax and enjoy your stay. Again thank you and we hope you will return soon just to get away for a fun weekend.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Rochester, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

First, I must commend the team on their customer service attitude and approach. I was immediately recognized as a platinum member, provided an upgraded room, and offered two free breakfasts even though I was using a rewards night. The staff was pleasant and responsive. That said, I found the facility lacking. Caulk separating from the wall in the bathroom, worn carpet in some common areas as just a couple of examples. It needs an overall upgrade to compete with newer facilities. Navigating from some rooms to the lobby area was confusing, as the commons area near the pool appeared to be an "add-on." I don't think I would stay again, at rack rates, when there are other newer hotels in the immediate area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I was very delighted to hear that our team did a great job during your stay with us. The team at this hotel really does take pride in their jobs which you don't find often. I am very grateful to have such a great team. Yes this building is very old and I'm happy to say that we are going to start construction of a new Holiday Inn Express in the later part of this year. Thank you for taking the time to write a review as well as being a Priority Club Platinum member. It's always nice to hear the positives as well as the negatives. We hope you will check out our new facility once it is completed.
Appleton, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our family (with 3 teenagers) recently stayed at this hotel and had a perfect mini vacation during our spring break. Since we had 5 people in our group, we booked 2 adjoining rooms (2 queen beds in each room). Both rooms were clean and included comfortable beds, updated tv, microwave, refrigerator, wifi, etc. Our favorite parts of the hotel were the pool and recreational areas; these were big hits with our family! We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, shuffleboard, ping pong, air hockey, the upper arcade area, etc. Despite a large group event going on in the lobby area and another smaller group meeting in the recreation area, there really weren't any issues of overcrowding. The gentlemen at the front desk were exceptionally kind and helpful during our stay. The "fruity drinks" from the pub were very tasty. We did not eat supper at the restaurant; I drove 1 1/2 miles back to Highway 23 to pick up some food for the family - - very convenient. I did not eat breakfast, but my family enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future! :)

Room Tip: This was the first time we stayed in adjoining rooms due to the size of our family. This was the pe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dennis S, Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
It was great to hear that you enjoyed your Spring Break with us. The Indoor recreation Center is very spacious and great for all ages. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of kids and families and we all enjoyed our stay. The Holidome is definitely their crown jewel as it has a pool, hot tub, shuffleboard, billboards, ping pong and a small arcade. The kids were happy for hours! The breakfast buffet wasn't great....the usual suspects... Scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon. The pub - I didn't eat there but I will say I waited 20 minutes for a beer and even though I realized there was only one server for both the bar and restaurant....there was no apology or acknowledgement of the poor service which was disappointing. I came back to the bar later to meet a friend and the bar wasn't busy and it still took forever to get attention. I'm pretty reasonable about this kind of stuff so to tick me off it has to be pretty bad. Despite that the ambiance of the pub was nice. The rooms are not great but nothing really bothered me other than the room location at the end of the hall and the outdoor entrance door kept banging around in the wind. I'd have loved a poolside room....if we stay again ill request that as it has direct access to the Holidome which was where we spent the majority of our time. It's a fine hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We do have a very nice Indoor Recreation Center and it's great for sporting events when you have a large group of kids because of all the space. I'm glad that you and your family enjoyed it. I apoligize for the service in the Sports Pub. We should of had another server in there that evening. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We certainly want to know what you enjoyed as well as what we can improve on. Thanks again.
Norway, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The evening we arrived it was snowing. The fireplace in the lobby was inviting and warm. I was there on business for four days (it was my second stay). The folks that worked at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. My room was clean and had everything I needed to get my work done (free WI-FI), keep leftovers in the fridge, and hotwater for showers. Best part - the bed and pillows were comfortable... Hotel was very quiet (my room was on the first floor on the back of the hotel - Room 147). I was able to get a good nights sleep my entire stay. There is a lounge in the hotel - good service and great happy hour. The drawbacks..... the restaraunt on site was very poor - both the service and the food. I should have remembered this from my previous stay.... it had not improved at all. My recommedation is eat your meals on Johnson Street - lots of great choices. I don't recommend the breakfast buffet unless you are starving and have no other optioons.. If you have to eat at the hotel, order off the menu but give yourself PLENTY PLENTY of time. The word Slow and less than average is a compliment.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We do hear that our lobby has a lot of warmth and the fireplace on a night when the snow is falling really adds to the atmosphere. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I also appreciate your comment on our restaurant, so we can take measures to make it better. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope the snow is over with for your next visit.
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were there for our sons wedding and had 8 rooms reserved. The rooms were clean and the service from the maids to the front desk to the bar and the hall were all excellent. Considering that the hotel was totally booked for a bowling tournament and hockey tournament we still received excellent service. Can not say enough about this hotel.... enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
WOW Thank you for making our day. We are very happy that the wedding and your stay was enjoyable and we thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Fond du Lac for your event. Yes it was a busy weekend indeed. It is always great when the staff hears that they are doing a great job. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to let us know how we are doing with meeting the needs of our guests. Hopefully you have a very large family and have more children that will be getting married. Again thank you for choosing us and for the wonderful review. We really appreciate it.
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was my first stay at the Holiday Inn Fond du Lac, and I left with mixed feelings about the place. I found every member of the staff from reception to restaurant waiters and waitresses to be exceedingly friendly. However, this hotel is certainly dated and in need of a major renovation. As other reviewers have stated, it’s in a bit of a remote location with no other restaurants or stores in close proximity. This is not a big deal, as I was only staying for a couple of days, and the food in the pub area was very good (though I would not want to eat there for more than a few days). This hotel has no elevators, and is quite a maze. It took me nearly 15 minutes to locate my room (while dragging my bags up and down remote, ill marked stairwells). The rooms were typical Holiday Inn décor, with much of the furniture in need of updating and refreshment. I was actually disappointed in the bathroom with had missing and dirty grout, and paint which looked as though it had been applied without a bit of care. The pub was friendly and inviting, and had a good happy hour. The breakfast buffet was basic, but good. In the end, I’m not sure that I would return to this location without some facility improvements first.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dennis S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for th nice review. I am glad to hear my staff delivered great service during your stay with us. Yes the hotel does need a renovation and we will be building a new Holiday Inn Express in the next year or so. I hope your next visit to Fond du Lac you do stay with us and we can update on our progress on the new hotel. Again thank you for taking time to let us know how we are doing. It is very important to me and my team.

Been to Holiday Inn Fond Du Lac? Share your experiences!