“English Inn will definiely go on your "favorites" list!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Oconomowoc, WI
“English Inn will definiely go on your "favorites" list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Driving by on a rainy Sun. night, we decided to try this restaurant again. We had been there a few years ago and it wasn't very good. What a change! This is now a "don't miss" restaurant.

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. Our server, Victoria, was welcoming, enthusiastic, and vey knowledgeable on the menu. We did have some delays, but Victoria kept us informed on the progress of our entrees. So many servers will just disappear when there is a lag in the kitchen.

We started with crab cakes and the delicious, crusty, warm bread. The wine list gave a good selection and the Pinot Grigio went well with the crab.

Next was a very tasty baked french onion soup for one of us and the absolutely fantastic spinach, cherry salad for the other. It had dried cheries, waterchestnuts, shaved parmesan, almonds, and a gourmet hot cherry,bacon dressing. One of the best salads I've ever had.

Our main courses were a porterhouse and a 10 oz. filet, both tender and cooked to perfection.

Carot cake for dessert was excellent.

All in all, this was a better dining experience than we expected. The English Inn will definitely go on our repeat list.

Congratulations to the new owners, the chef,and our server.

Chicago, Illinois
“WONDERFUL FOOD!! DON'T DRIVE BY!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011 via mobile

I have always had my favorite restuarants in DC and so it is hard to get me to try a new restaurant there. So after years of driving by this one, a friend dragged me there and now I am making it a priority to dine there.

To start with, if you go here, you HAVE to get the spinach salad with the hot bacon dressing on it. It is phenominal, and I am not big on salads usually. It is their signature salad and dressing. You will find yourself purchasing the dressing to go. They sell it in gift jars... It makes a great gift!! The beef wellington is another signature dish and allow me to say it waa by far the best beef wellington I have ever had!! The meat absolutely melted in your mouth. All of the food was absolutely divine.

It is beautiful inside too. I am not impressed by the "old english" look but the setting is gorgeous and beautifully appointed.

Don't miss this one... It is wonderful!!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Not worth the wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We had reservations for 7:30 p.m. and still had to wait a half hour to get seated. When seated, I had the Pistachio Encrusted Whitefish. Too much butter and pistachio. I could hardly taste the fish. My husband had the duck and it was pretty good. The service was great. Overall, I don't think I would return. I thought it would be hard to mess up the whitefish.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Palmyra WI
“Very Cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

LOVED the atmosphere of English Inn! So many things to look at! Food was pretty great - a little pricey - but we will definitley go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Another wonderful dinner at the English Inn....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was a repeat visit to the English Inn. Three of us had reservations on Tuesday October 4 at 530p. This restaurant has very scenic views. We were seated immediately. Victoria, our server, offered drinks, answered questions about the menu...like do you have Beef Wellington...it isn't on the menu, but it is there speciality. I come for the Beef Wellington. We started with tradional french onion soup, NE clam chowder and the famous spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. All of our starters were excellent. Almost too big portions. We had the Whitefish Augratin, the Lobster from the Lighter Appetite and of course, my beef wellington. The beef wellington is the best...really good flavor, cooked to perfection. The lobster was so full of flavor, not stringy. The whitefish was light, flaky and yummy. Two of us ordered the twice baked potato, but found it too salty...could just be our tastebuds, but we didn't eat our potato, but so much food, it wasn't missed. Too full for dessert. Our waitperson was very helpful, friendly and attentive. Going back in the spring...English Inn is one of the reasons we visit Door County. With two cocktails our bill was $103 without tip...what a deal...in Chicago, we would have paid twice as much...