“Good food, so-so service” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 29 Restaurants in Fish Creek
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Award-winning restaurant open to the public. Winner of Good Morning America's Best Breakfast Award. Sumptuous lunches, candlelight dinners and famous for traditional Door County whitefish boils. Open all year.
Mattoon, Illinois
“Good food, so-so service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We ate at the White Gull on a previous trip to Door County and enjoyed it so much that time that we decided to go back for lunch. Our food was good, however our server seemed much more interested in the fact that she had other things to do. I had to ask for a water refill and at the same time, she neglected to even ask my husband if she could re-fill his empty soda glass. Same server never asked us if we cared for dessert, brought our ticket and seemed to be otherwise occupied. I would have to say that I was a bit disappointed in what we considered one of Door County's finer establishments. Appears that the place is in some need of updating and major fine tuning. Was also disappointed to see a Mercedes blocking access to the sidewalk with license plates that were clearly indicative of the Inn's ownership. Speaks volumes about what they think of their customers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“French Toast Lover's Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I visited the White Gull Inn for breakfest during a vacation to the Door County area this summer. I had heard that the stuffed cherry French Toast was amazing and it was. I got the full serving size so my whole table could taste it and even my friends who don't like cherries loved it. The slight tartness of the cherries combined with the rich cream cheese and the syrup was to die for. It was very, very rich but worth taking my time and savoring every bite. My friends had a variety of other items from the menu from eggs to pancakes, etc. and all said it was delicious.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
elm grove, wi
“Excellent Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We had been here a year ago and had an exellent meal but had seen other reviews and wondered if it was in new hands? We were there on a Wed. so we could take part in a "3 course" special for $25. Our food was EXCELLENT...I had the beet salad and my husband had a pumpkin soup w/cherries. All great. Our entrees were swordfish and a chicken thigh special which was out of this world. After all this, we got desserts, which we usually don't order because they are too sweet. I had the pumpkin "sandwich" which meant that I got a couple layers of sweetened phyllo dough layered with pumpkin, so it wasn't too sweet at all, and my husband had the panno cotta, which was equally great but not too sweet. (they had a flourless chocolate cake, so don't fret if you want sweet stuff!)

All in all, the atmosphere is classy, but the waiters all weary plaid flannel shirts so it is not stuffy at all! We recommend to all!
Betsy & Dave

Madison, Wisconsin
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I have to say I am not a huge breakfast guy, I much prefer lunch when dining out. So when we showed up at 11am on a recent saturday and were told that they were still serving only breakfast I was a little disappointed. I wasn't for very long... I had the "best breakfast in america" -- cream cheese and cherry stuffed french toast and it was unbelievable. Not healthy, but what you gonna do. All 4 people at our table loved their food. Would go here again in a heartbeat--and have breakfast.

Genesee Depot, Wisconsin
“Great Fish Boil”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

One of the better ones to dine in the Door. Great Place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere