“It sways...!” 3 of 5 stars

West Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“It sways...!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The lookout tower was a site that I could not wait to see our whole trip! The excitement kept building during our drive through Peninsula State Park… the higher we were getting the more breathtaking the views were. Finally we were there, found parking and looked up… it was then my fiancé asked if I would be ok (I am mildly afraid of heights). Up until then it had never even crossed my mind! As we approached and I read the sign that said rebuilt in 1930 and then looked at the very narrow, very steep (railing free) steps, with a large number of unmonitored people going up and down. I could not help but to wonder how safe is this very old structure…. ? We started our climb to the top having to pause at moments while small unattended children went running down the stairs. The stairways are not wide enough for two to pass so you do have to finagle your way through. As we started to make our way up 3 flights of stairs to the first platform you could feel the tower swaying. This was partially from the wind and from the number of children running around. As we reached the first of three platforms, the view was amazing. I happen to make the mistake and looked down the cliff, bad idea as realizing how high we were, the swaying of the tower combined with the not safe feeling of the stairs my fear of heights started to set in. a very nice man took our picture and could sense how unsure I was of this whole adventure. He tried to reassure me by saying that this was a very calm day there the tower movement was minimal compared to others. So we ventured on up another two flights to the second platform… I was so excited when I looked up, I thought that was it we were approaching the top! Nope there was still one more to go… We walked to the edge of the platform and it was beautiful you could see the shores of Michigan and the start of fall color across the tree tops. It was then that a gust of wind came in and shook the tower pretty good... that was all it took. My fear kicked in and the only thing I could think about was getting my feet on solid ground! My fiancé finished the climb himself and took some more pictures that are beautiful (honestly did not look any different than the ones from the previous level). On my quick descend down I passed the man from earlier who gave me the thumbs up and said I did better than most do lol. This is a must do beautiful scenery from every platform no matter how high you make it!

Visited September 2012

Madison, Wisconsin
5 attraction reviews
“Very cool views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great stop for photos and views of Green Bay. Wonderful spot in Peninsula State Park. Worth the many steps to the top. A nice short visit with a great view.

Visited August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
34 attraction reviews
“A fun view for the whole family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

The climb is only about 7 flights up but the view is spectacular. You can see Green Bay, Ephraim, and a few islands in the bay. It's a great spot for photographers!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
“You've got to climb the stairs to see Door County as God intended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Nestled in the heart of Peninsula State Park, the tower offers an incredible view of the area including the Ephraim shoreline, some of the islands and most of PSP. It's 110 steps to the top of the tower and worth every one! An absolute must for those visiting Door County

Visited September 2012
Minneapolis,MN
42 attraction reviews
“view with a cardio work out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

dont miss this if you can climb steps. If you need two handrails to help you climb steps you should sit this one out. There is no good rail to grasp as you go up and down. kids just fly up! The view was one of the best we say on the peninsula.

Visited August 2012