“great time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Ephraim
Elkhorn, Wisconsin
“great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a 1 bedroom with kitchenette suite. It was very clean and had great views from the living room & balcony of the water. We could walk out the back door and watch the nightly fish boil. The private pier was also great for relaxing and watching the sunset after a busy day. The restaurant below (old post office rest.) has delicious breakfast too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed at this property once before about 10 years ago. During our August vist, we found the Edgewater to still be a very nice, relaxing place to stay, with great views of the water. No complaints at all really. Last time we were on the ground floor. This time we were on an upper level. This gave us access to the decks with rocking chairs. Again, a wonderful place to relax after a day of wine tasting.

Breakfast options nearby are somewhat limited. And, we must get up earlier than most people - as we had to wait at both of the places we tried in Ephraim. So, if you're an early riser - you might want to plan to bring your own breakfast food and utilize the kitchenette in the room.

Overall, a very nice stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a perfect romantic getaway. Travelling through the pennisula state park being educated about what God can do with water, trees, wildlife and people, its call Unity! Staying focus on the things we take for granted in life everyday, when God has put all this on earth for us. I will stay at Edgewater again, the location was great. I think next time we will come in season, where more restaurants are open. But the trip was well worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor looking directly east of the lake. Perfect view. Very quiet away f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We were ecstatic with our first stay at this property. I have been coming to dc since i was born and we never had stayed here, i am glad we gave it a try. The room was a nice suite with full kitchenette. We had a great view of the harbor, chairs on the porch, and a relaxing environment. Asked to be away from the pool and that was honored. One downfall is that the pool is only seasonal, and since we have kids it is a necessity to have a hotel pool. Also, the bedroom was very divided from the living room but the living room was the only room with an air conditioner. It wasn't extremely hot this week so we survived with fans but the limited ac could be an issue during hot periods. Nevertheless, we will be back! Love it!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
EWRGM, Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Edgewater Resort! Our pool does remain closed during the cooler months, but we appreciate your feedback and letting us know what an important feature it is to your family. We're looking forward to having you back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

First let me start off to say that we believe that overall, the people in DC are genuinely nice and interesting to talk to. We are not ordinarily squeaky wheels, but our experience with the manager at this "resort" should really consider a different line of work.
I had never stayed here before ( and never will again) but have been going up to DC every year for the past 10 or so. We had stayed in Fish Creek, Sister Bay and Bailey's Harbor before, and even down the street from this place at the Village Green ( very nice people run that B&B), but thought we might give this place a try, mostly from their proximity to one of my favorite breakfast spots next door (Post Office)
We booked in 11 months before our stay ( that's right eleven months) as I wanted to be sure I got the room we wanted, which was one of the suites on the second floor over the pool, so that we were back away from the road but still have a great sunset view. Since it was late September, I figured the pool would be closed ( as it was) so not a problem with pool noise.
When we checked in at 3:00 pm, they took my credit card and charged me the balance, then gave me keys to a room just outside the office on the first floor. This room (101) cannot be any closer to the road unless you were laying on it. When I asked them to put me in the room I had booked, they said they upgraded me to this other room. Upgraded? Did I mention I wanted a 2nd story room and that I booked this 11 months ago? Did I mention I received confirmation from them directly that they received my deposit, and a week before my arrival , that all would be ready for me when I arrived?
Why did they "upgrade" me to the street level? Their first answer was: I must have booked through some travel site and so they would not have known my room preference. Hmmm. My email receipt which I showed them, was on their letterhead and specifically stated the room type I had booked, which is only on the 2nd floor. So now what? Then the manager says they had some mechanical problem with the room, and will not allow anyone in there. WHAT? Which excuse is it? Finally after much bickering back and forth, she was so kind as to allow me to check out. How nice of her. Without getting down to the details of what her penalty was going to be for allowing us to do so, we decided to grin and bear it. Where can one find a place for 3 nights in DC in the fall last minute? With that behind us, here is what we thought of the place:
Pros: roomy suite with lots of sunshine/windows. Fireplace ( did not use) Jacuzzi in the bedroom (did not use) good water pressure. Full kitchen with large fridge, microwave, coffee maker ( only enough coffee and dry creamer for one pot/day) dishwasher, dishes, wine glasses, etc
Cons: only one cheesy AC unit in living area, so bed room gets hot, cheesy door sock under main door, key cards are easily erased - so they give you three, back door to porch very hard to open/close, king bed is harder than the road just outside your door, three twin bed sized hard pillows to complete the set ( we did discover two more baby sized pillows in the family room coffee table) , low grade plastic shower enclosure, cheap toiletries, sand paper TP,
Couple of other annoyances included the infestation of fruit flies in the room. After being in the room ten minutes, we were swarmed by fruit flies. We had to leave a empty glass of wine out just to keep them segregated into one area. There was also a dead hornet on the floor in one corner but very visible. After we left after three days, I am still wondering if housekeeping was disposed of it yet.
We still love the Door, but recommend one look elsewhere for a comfortable stay. Or at least until they get some better training to the front office staff.
By the way, all the rooms over the pool were obviously booked by others as the lights were on in all units - what mechanical problem was that again?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am sorry that you felt let down. It is our goal to exceed all guest expectations during their stay with us. The picture you painted of the situation in your review is not very accurate When you checked in the front desk associate apologized and explained that there were mechanical issues with the deluxe unit that you reserved so we were unable to rent it. We upgraded you to a beautiful Premium unit and discounted your rate. At that point, you became so verbally abusive to my front desk associate she was reduced to tears. I tried to talk to you; however, you became very aggressive and slammed out of the office only to return two more times to scream at us. I did my very best to try to work with you; however, I was unsuccessful. I understand your disappointment and I am disappointed that we could not provide the experience you desired. With that said, I also believe your behavior to the staff was inappropriate - they were doing their best to try to accommodate you. I apologize for the housekeeping issues and shared the information with the appropriate department.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'll start my review by saying this, I had already posted a review, and it must have been deleted, because it's nowhere to be found. I traveled to DC in August 2013, staying in a studio cottage at the Edgewater. This cottage was located right next to the fish boil in the back, which is done everyday, and sometimes twice or three times on the weekends. It's so busy near the fire, that you have people walking and standing right next to your cabin. Now on the the cabin. I realize that they are pet friendly, but the carpet was disgusting! So many stains, I had to wear shoes the entire time I was there, including walking in the bathroom, which consisted of a toilet and coffin size shower (the sink was right next to the bed). The bedding had brown stains all over it, I kept telling myself it was coffee, but that was only to make myself feel better. The coffee pot still had old coffee grounds in it, the cups were dirty. The paint was chipping off the entire outside of the building, and it looked like it was help up by cinder blocks! This cabin did not come cheap, so I was really surprised at the condition of it.
I'm sure the hotel rooms are very cute, and from the pictures, it looks like things were recently updated. Don't be fooled by the cabins, I'm assuming this is why their website doesn't have very many pictures of them, because I don't think they would ever get booked. If you're looking for a dog friendly place, there are plenty of other places much nicer than the Edgewater.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Please be aware that at the property level we are not able to delete reviews on Tripdvisor. The only way a review can be deleted is if after Tripadvisor has investigated the review and found it to be false. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay at our property. I did attempt to upgrade you to one of our condo units and you declined. When you informed the front desk that the linen had a stain we immediately went to the unit and changed out the bedding. However, upon inspection of the sheets we were not able to find any staining. We also looked into your concerns about the carpeting and did not find any stains but rather leaves that were brought in possibly by someone's shoes. It is our goal to exceed the expectations of all guests and we sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Edgewater Resort.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at Edgewater Resort in a king premium suite (with panoramic water view), between the summer and fall color season. My parents stayed in a similar suite at the other end of the veranda. First the negatives: The bed was very hard. Highway 42 is just feet away from the building, and you WILL hear vehicular traffic; I personally was not bothered by it, but others might find it objectionable. Upon check-in, we encountered a less than friendly female at the reception desk (but everyone else we encountered on the property was welcoming). Be mindful of where your suite is located if you prefer not to listen to swimming pool frolics (the pool was closed for the season, so my suite near the pool was a non-issue, thankfully). The bedroom carpet was a little dirty from prior careless guests. Now the positives that result in a 5-star rating and make it worth the cost, despite the flaws. The place is absolutely lovely, inside and out. The décor is tasteful, appealing, and "vacation-y". The suite was big, bright and cheery, with LOTS of windows. The cleaning was top-notch (and I am ultra-picky about housekeeping). I loved the bare floors in the living area, which look and feel so much cleaner than any carpeting (I wish the bare floor extended to the bedroom). The kitchen was bright, roomy, and immaculate (though I only used it for morning coffee and afternoon wine). The lighting and lighting controls were great. Ceiling fans were available in the living rm and bedrm. Heating controls were available in the bathrm, bedrm, and living area ( night temps were in the 40s, the heat worked great. Fireplace(s) were enjoyed. Towels were abundant, big, thick, and snow white. The property is impeccably maintained. The resort location is prime. The attached Post Office restaurant has the best pancakes. And last, but not least, the view is spectacular, from inside the suite, and on the enjoyable common-area veranda. Due to being between seasons, the place was peaceful and quiet, and that is my idea of a perfect vacation spot. I so enjoyed having my early morning coffee on the veranda, watching the night give way to morning. I hope to have the opportunity to stay at Edgewater again, perhaps on that winter Door Co trip I've been contemplating.

Room Tip: Be mindful of pool location if you stay in summer and are worried about noise. Remember Ephraim is...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Edgewater Resort? Share your experiences!