“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston, TX
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I spent nearly a week here in one of the waterfront suites and were extremely pleased. The staff was very friendly, the accommodations were excellent and the view couldn't have been better. One of the high points was the fish boil that happens on the property most evenings. Don't miss being entertained (and fed!) by Earl.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my first trip to Door County and this hotel, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I enjoyed the lovely views of Peninsula State Park, the location of the hotel and that they offer suites, with full kitchens, in addition to standard rooms. It is an older property, so you will see a bit of wear and tear, however I think they try to keep it in good condition. I don't think housekeeping was up to par though. For me, the main ingredient it was lacking is top notch service you receive at a 4 or 5 star property and/or the charming extras a B&B might offer. It offered neither of those and overall service was flat. Making my reservation was also somewhat of a challenge. On the hotels behalf, I booked at the last minute, however the staff seemed annoyed with my many questions instead of happy to assist a new guest. Overall a great location, beautiful views, decent accommodations, but it could be so much better.

Room Tip: The best views are on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The 1st floor is best for those with kids. Of course...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is our desire to meet and exceed our guest expectations. I am very sorry that your impression of the reservationist was negative. I looked at your reservation and the young lady that took the reservation was in training. While it is no excuse, please know that was her first day taking reservations and she was struggling to provide the correct information to you. We appreciate the feedback and in the future we will have our “new” associates transfer calls that require more attention the trainer. I have shared your comment with our housekeeping department but I would love the opportunity to talk to you so that I may understand your specific concerns.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our 2nd time at the Edgewater Resort and we still think it is a wonderful place. The accommodations are great - rooms, kitchen, location, towels(love them) and of course the view. However, this time there was some sort of family reunion going on and they were oblivious to other guests. They were loud and obnoxious and when at the pool they literally took it over as if they were in their own backyard with no regard to any one else. That said, there wasn't anything the Edgewater could do and I just tried to relax and enjoy the beautiful view of the bay.

I also missed Adrienne who worked the desk last year. She was friendly, warm and helpful.

I wonder if there is a way to check to see if any large groups have reservations before you book your room. I think I will ask next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but we love facing the pool and the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that your experience wasn’t as positive this year – it is important to us that each guest have a wonderful experience. We have several guests that stay with us each year and Edgewater Resort has become their “home away from home”. It is unfortunate that the “loud and obnoxious” behavior of the other guests was not brought to our attention so we could address the issue. Once again, I am sorry that your stay was disrupted and I hope that you give us another chance to have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation with us. Please feel free to contact me personally to book your next reservation so that we can avoid dates that have large groups in house.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have stayed here a couple times and it used to be one of the nicer properties in Door County. It's located right in the heart of Ephraim with beautiful views of the lake. You can easily walk to any place in Ephraim from the hotel. It has a nice pool and hot tub and the front desk employees could not possibly be nicer.

The staff seems to do their best to take care of the property. While we were there I saw someone scrubbing the wicker furniture on the porch and scrubbing furniture around the pool.

The suites are spacious and relatively clean but they are really starting to show their age and badly need to be updated. The floors are scratched, the carpets are worn, shower curtain liners are rusted, and the quilts on the beds are old and faded. The mattresses are as hard as rocks and are miserably uncomfortable. The linens feel like sandpaper and the pillows are lumpy and old. The worst part is the noise in the rooms. The hotel is 15 feet from the road and there are cars, trucks and buses driving on the road all hours of the day and night. For such a small town there is a lot of traffic and it's loud. One night, at 10:30 p.m.. I counted five cars in less than a minute.

The bedroom of the suite is not air conditioned. There is only a wall unit in the living room and it does not cool the bedroom. You can't sleep with the windows open because you're 15 feet from the road . . .

The condition of the suites does not merit the $300 per night they are charging. Sadly, we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in one of the rooms facing the pool. Only one of them has a patio or porch.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
EWRGM, General Manager at Edgewater Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not what you anticipated and that you would not choose to stay with us again. We appreciate that you took note that we take very good care of the property. Each year we do a series of updates to the property and units. This past winter we installed New Carpeting in every unit, our linen was updated to a Luxury Terry and many other updates were accomplished as well. Once again, I am sorry you were disappointed with our property but please know that we continue to make upgrades and improvements each year. I thank you for your comments and will share them with the proper committee.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Edgewater Resort in Ephraim, WI for 6 nights. It definitely has the best views of any of the resorts in the surrounding towns. The sunsets are incredible and we could sit right on our front porch every evening and watch people just stopping in their cars to see what we were comfortably seeing from our very room. The rooms were equipped with everything you would need for an extended stay and were tastefully decorated as well. Julie at the front desk was very friendly and we spoke to her everyday detailing our plans for the day. We attended both outdoor theatres The Folklore and the Peninsula Players which were located just a short drive away. We were situated between all the small towns surrounding Ephraim and had fun exploring all the shops and sights. We could walk to several dining establishments which were all very good including the Old Post Office, The Second Story , Chef's Hat and of course Wilson's. We could not have asked for a more lovely place to stay or more friendly service.

Room Tip: Stay in a Water front room. It is worth the additional cost because the views are incredible. The ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Edgewater Resort. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to take in the great attractions that Door County has to offer and that you chose to spend your time with us at the Edgewater Resort. I am happy to hear that your stay with us was a good one and we do hope you will be back to see us soon.
Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed at the Edgewater many times over the last 10 years and it never fails to impress.
The view of Green Bay is gorgeous and it is walking distance to a number of sites especially for dining, ice cream and sunsets. The Old Post Office restaurant serves one of the best fish boils in Door County. Quiet enough, right on the water and beautifully maintained - a lovely place for a weekend (or longer) escape.

Room Tip: There is some street noise so if that's a factor, ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Beloit, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my second stay at the Edgewater. I stayed in a third story
suite with a fantastic view of the harbor and surrounding bluffs.
The weather was excellent and provided spectacular views of the
sunset in the evening. The room was immaculate and the staff was
very friendly.

Room Tip: I would recommend the third story suites if you are looking for some privacy and unobstructed view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Edgewater Resort? Share your experiences!