“Nice option for lunch!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice option for lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

What a great idea for a small business…they offer a few kinds of soups each day (and cover all bases….vegan, vegetarian and soups with meat) and a couple of sandwich choices. I tried several soups on this year's trip to Door County and last year's too (when I think they first opened) and they have all been good (they come with a small roll too). The sandwiches look fine (also a choice of meat or vegetarian) but they are made in advance and refrigerated and I like my sandwiches at room temp so I haven't tried those.

I like the fact that they keep their menu small/ high quality instead of trying to offer too many things. A good option for tourists as well as locals.

Visited August 2012

Dallas, Texas
“Delight in soup all year round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I discover things in Door County by walking. We found the Czarnuszka Soup Bar by noticing its name on the sign outside the shopping village where it's nestled. There are just days when you want soup, and Czarnuszka delivers hot and cold soups with high flavor and reasonable prices.

Czarnuska should appear to both locals and tourists in Door County, as it is reasonably priced ("the cheapest meal in Door County," boasted the owner) and open year-round. Unlike many other restaurants that shutter when the tourists go home, Czarnuszka is focused on good soup for all months of the year and for all folks in the Door.

The menu changes daily (the owner posts the daily menu on the restaurant's Facebook page), but is usually graced with about four hot soups and two cold soups. In addition, sandwiches are made fresh daily (usually two varieties) and available from the cooler when you walk in. A tasty roll is included with each cup or bowl of soup, and complements nicely the soup dishes.

We were delighted not only to see classic Polish favorites available here, but soups of many other stripes as well. None of the soups we tasted required the addition of salt and pepper, though you're always free to add it. We found the meats tender, the vegetables still slightly crisp but well simmered, and the broth hearty and flavorful. The rolls are soft and soak up the soup very nicely (while adding their own flavor), and the sandwiches are simple but flavorful with crisp lettuce and other vegetables and simple meats.

The desk outside the Soup Bar is perfect for a pleasant summer day, but there is ample seating inside to complement the tables on the deck. The owner is well-traveled and very friendly, speaking both Polish (having spent a couple of years in Krakow) and his native English tongue. We made Czarnuszka a regular addition to our visit to the Door, and we only wish we had such a great place back home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Eat Soup!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was a great place! I love that they have vegetarian and gluten free options.
Not too expensive, just right.
We will return!

Visited May 2012
Ephraim, Wisconsin
“Excellent and Excellent Bargain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I live in Door County and I frequent Czarnuszka's - the soups are really good, you get a roll with it, and if you want to get a soda or sandwiches, he has those, too. Eat Soup!!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“A Bargain Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I learned about Czarnuszka Soup Bar in a Door County magazine that I picked up on a visit to DC late Oct 2011. On another visit to DC last week, I had the opportunity to try it. It is very small inside but since it was a perfect June day, we ate outside on a deck table. The restaurant had 4 soup offerings (which apparently change daily or often). For $5 (each) we had a large bowl of soup and a fresh roll. I had a cheddar bratwurst kraut soup that was very tasty, and my dining companion had a mushroom barley that was declared delicious. Czarnuska is tucked into a tiny building in Ephraim near Leroy's Coffee. It is casual and unfancy. If I lived in Door County, I would be a regular at this place, especially in cool weather.

Visited June 2012