“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Red Wing, Minnesota
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had an excellent meal last night at the Shady Grove. We were able to sit down within 5 minutes despite the limited seating on a Saturday night. The staff were all very friendly. The Bison special was excellent and prepared just right to my "medium" request. The deep fried walleye was also excellent. My Dad had the pork tenderloin and loved it. My son had the rib-eye steak and really enjoyed that as well.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Minnesota
“Visit This Restaurant No Matter What”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We were staying in Red Wing, 11 miles away, when we happened to visit with someone who had moved from Chicago and pronounced this place outstanding. He was correct. It looks like an ordinary bar from the outside and it once was. The decor is still a little Wisconsin fisherman but the food is superb. We had morels and asparagus to start. At $13 for an appetizer it inspired trepidation. I have to say it was excellent as was the ramp soup that followed. (Both the morels and the ramps are in season and locally sourced) As a bonus we did not experience the dreaded 'ramp breath'. We had duck follow and again we were highly satisfied. My sweetie had an excellent wine and I ordered their Negroni (house specialty) and it was terrific. (At a Twin Cities restaurant I had one and it was too sweet) To top it off sweetie had a lemon custard. I do not like them but my one taste told me it was infused with the right degree of bitterness. When you go talk to Heather, she is the owner (with her husband) and she has a great story. She will remember your name and tuck in your child's napkin. Her husband does the cooking and she does the desserts. When it is warmer get appetizers and drinks on the patio You eat dinner inside. Service was generally good although our server didnt know some things we thought she should. Reserve or you will be out of luck. Open only for dinner

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
River Falls, Wisconsin
“A fine establishment in my own backyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I really hate to do a review of this place because it is one of the best restaurants I have dined at anywhere and I have been to place in many parts of the world. Why would I say "I hate to review it"? Because it is so close to my residence I can easily drive there in a few minutes and I fear it becoming so crowded it will lose it's down home hospitality and home-cooked excellence. However great food and service is worth sharing for others to enjoy. Heather the co-owner is so friendly and always talks to most everyone as if they are a guest in her home. This is a very small place and can handle only about 50 diners at a time. Many of the ingredients are locally supplied and usually organically grown. The entrees are very unique and expertly created. From steak to seafood, vegetarian to great desserts. I wouldn't say this placeis "hidden" but it certainly isn't right off a freeway exit. They have a full bar and also make wonderful drinks and excellent wine selection. I have eaten here about 10 times and have never been disappointed. Our last visit was just last Saturday night. I had the bison tenderloin and my partner had the swordfish, but the menu changes frequently. They know how to cook the meats to peak flavor, so don't ask for it to be done otherwise. If you don't make a reservation before arriving you may have to wait quite awhile. On the other hand, we have occasionally got a table within 15 minutes without a reservation.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellsworth, Wisconsin
“Try the cheesecake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Love the wine and desserts. A great place to go and sit for a long time and chat with a friend.

River Falls, Wisconsin
“Has quickly become our favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I have eaten in fabulous restaurants throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. When we moved into Wisconsin we continued to drive to the "cities" for the rare night out. Since we stumbled upon Shady Grove about a year ago we've been hooked. The food is always fabulous, the service friendly and attentive and the atmosphere intimate and cozy. Heather is always the gracious hostess and makes us feel at home. We've never met Steve, but his food sure speaks for him!

The drive to Shady Grove is along Wisconsin State Highway 65 - rolling hills and farmland. When you first arrive you might be caught off-guard by the old fashioned "supper club" look and feel - don't let that turn you away, the food and atmosphere is most definitely NOT a supper club.

We recommend Shady Grove to anyone in the area looking for an excellent restaurant.

• Visited November 2011