“Must Visit Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 10 restaurants in Ellison Bay
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Wickman House is a new restaurant, in its second season, located in a historic lodge in Ellison Bay, Door County. Offering sandwiches from grass-fed hamburgers to lobster clubs and entrees from fresh fish to pork chops all paired with local produce, the Wickman House has an option for every appetite. With a focus on farm-to-table dishes and a select list of wines and microbrews, Wickman House offers the Door County restaurant-goer a NEW standard in casual dining.
“Must Visit Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night and it was a great experience. Our server, Amy, was very attentive and knowledgeable about the food and wine selections. I had read positive reviews on the Staggering Chicken, which I did order and it was an excellent meal. It was very fresh and tasty. Honestly, I know people say you shouldn't eat the skin because of fat and calories but if I could I think I would have ordered an extra helping of the skin; it was that tasty. The potatoes and vegetables were also good. Be sure to get the rolls they serve. They were also very good.

My wife ordered the Ravioli which again, was excellent. Our meals came hot, the presentation was appealing, and the food tasted great. I have read other reviews saying that the portions were small. If you are ordering the meals so you can take half home for another meal, this won't work. But if you want a reasonable amount to eat and clean your plate I felt the portions were just fine. I just don't need to eat the huge portions a lot of restaurants serve.

They serve water in bottles left on the table. Several times a server refilled our glasses and when the bottle began to get close to empty, another bottle was brought without asking for it.

The two owners were there. One seated us, was very friendly, and came after the meal to ask about our experience. As we left both owners thanked us for coming and wished us a good evening. We will definitely come again the next time we are in Door County. We highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited August 2013

92% Recommend
Racine, Wisconsin
“Wickman House is excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

After several years of visiting Door County and searching for restaurants, we were absolutely delighted to dine at Wickman House. The food was superb! It was well prepared, using locally grown and seasonal ingredients, comparable to the best restaurants we've visited in Chicago, San Francisco, and other cities. The service was excellent, from not only our server but other servers who helped on a particularly busy night. The historic building is lovely, the garden beautiful, and we would highly recommend Wickman House to any of our friends who may drive to Door County. In a State that prides itself on bratwurst and beer, Wickman House is a great choice for those of us who crave healthy, tasty dining.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Outstanding All Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I came up to Door County with several relatives that have fallen in love with Wickman House. I was pretty excited seeing as how it was my first time in Door County and at Wickman. Over the course of the weekend we had dinner twice and the Sunday brunch. Over the course of the weekend, I had the house-made ravioli, the Waseda Burger, the oysters a couple times, a broccoli and thyme soup, a corn chowder, the goat cheese curds, a dessert sampler tray, and the farmer's breakfast and a chocolate scone for brunch. Each meal was outstanding, to put it simply. I don't think I've ever fallen in love with a restaurant so quickly. The drinks were also really good. The Moscow Mule became my favorite.
I frankly don't understand the negative reviews, especially about the staff. My experience with every staff member was completely opposite. The bar staff was extremely friendly and personable. They were very attentive and took everyone's order in a timely manner despite being very busy at times. I never noticed anyone waiting to place an order. Jon was an outstanding waiter and took very good care of us, as did Amy. They take good care of their patrons at Wickman.

Honestly, I would recommend Wickman to anyone that is in the Ellison Bay/Door County area. It quickly became one of my new favorite restaurants. My only regret was that I couldn't try everything on the menu! I will definitely be coming back when I can!! :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
chicago
“Poor service but good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The owners really seems to be trying, but the wait staff needs training as not as professional as they should be for the prices. We dined here several times throughout the summer, but every time thought it could be so much better. Despite booking in advance, the hostess seemed confused and not friendly. The tables are very close together and the hostess seats people right next to each other, despite other open tables. They act like the "porch" is premium seating, but it is very noisy and again, diners as seated very close together. The wait staff should explain the price of the daily specials. The homemade rolls are great as are the fantastic cocktails. We like the pulled pork sandwich and the fish tacos are tasty. The wait staff needs to be trained on wine selections and pairings with food. We agree with other reviewers about the big deal they make about serving tepid tap water from a frosted bottle. The food is good and this restaurant has all the right elements to be really top notch with just some training and tweaking. We will continue to support them as really believe in their mission for locally sourced food.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The service was poor. For fine dining I would expect the staff to take the time with the customers. There is a relaxed atmosphere by the customers, but the staff needs improvement and training in customer service. The food portions are small for the price. The food was good. The old house is cool and they should give more historical facts to the customers. Either through the staff or in writing, maybe on the menu. I think this restaurant has potential, but I will not return to see. Good luck

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JoeFah, Owner, General Manager at Wickman House, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for your business and for taking the time to review our restaurant.

Your succinct feedback highlights some of the problems we face trying to cater to a wide range of guests and visitors in Door County. Wickman House is, and always will be, for people to have a casual dinner as well as those looking for a special and/or romantic night out. For that reason, we somewhat toe the line between supper club and fine dining. Service may be casual, but it should always be professional and first class. As owners, we are present every night to assure the best experience for our customers. Given the seasonality of our business, good help is very difficult to find and with any new help it often it takes a few nights to learn our system, understand the vast history of our beautiful space and be able to provide that information and quality of service to our guests. I suspect you were serviced by one of our newer staff, and I apologize that they were not ready to meet your needs.

By most standards, we feel the portions at Wickman House are greater than those you'd receive with any fine dining experience you were seemingly looking to have. Furthermore, our prices reflect locally grown and sourced ingredients. You are paying a small premium for those ingredients, and you should find that price reflected in better prepared/tasting food.

With that, I am sorry to lose your business. I would plea for you to try us again, or at least reconsider your experience rating. It's difficult for us to please all customers, but we'd certainly like to. Based on your descriptions and using a letter grade, it didn't seem like Wickman House was necessarily deserving of a "D", but you've helped us strive to do better. For that, we thank you.