“A Beautiful Resort to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Autumn Getaway
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Chicago, Illinois
“A Beautiful Resort to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

5 ladies spent a girls weekend at the Osthoff Resort. The 3 bedroom condo we rented was very nice. Our visit was in November so we're thinking about coming in the Spring or Summer because we would have more to do outdoors. This visit was for rest and mission was accomplished.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had previously had been to the Osthoff in the winter time with my girlfriend. At that time, we had a 1 bedroom suite. We had a good enough time that we decided to return at the end of August with my family. This time we had a 2 bedroom loft suite. There was a convention going on which flooded some of the local restaurants at times but for the most part the pools and beach were not overly crowded. The beach was clean with plenty of chairs and the bar/food shack there was convenient. The staff was very friendly and the prices for the restaurant were not horribly overpriced for a resort. The resort had plenty of activities to do and keep you occupied. Based on the above, I should give the resort at least a 4 star rating. The big problem that I had (and why I am conflicted) was that our room was so uncomfortably hot. The loft has one bedroom on the first floor and the second bedroom in the loft. The AC unit was a wall unit in the living room. We had all fans blasting (in the correct direction) but it did not make a difference. As a result, there was horrible air circulation, especially in the loft. I felt so bad for my parents who slept in the loft. The management had to put in a temporary AC in the loft but even that was only semi-effective because they had to keep a window open for the AC. Even our room on the first floor got really hot when the door was closed because the AC unit only cooled the living room. I want to recommend this place but I can't if you are in a loft suite in the summer time. (sidenote: We talked to other guests in loft suites and they had a similar problem with the temperature regulation)

Room Tip: don't stay in loft
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GoldenRule3, General Manager at Osthoff Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear HabsFan33,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Osthoff with us. We are so pleased to have you as our guest, once again, and that many aspects of your stay were enjoyable.

Please know that we have addressed the issue of adequately cooling the loft suites since you stayed with us, installing air conditioning in all loft bedrooms to provide dedicated cooling to just those bedrooms. I am so sorry they were not yet installed during your stay with us.

Again, we always appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

That's it. Just amazing. Everything. The rooms, restaurants, views, staff, spa, location....so quiet and peaceful in November, which is really what we were looking for. Oh and we will definitely go back, as soon as possible as many times as possible.
Maybe summer next time. The lake was crystal clear.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

On the plus side, this is a beautiful location - Wisconsin countryside at its best with rolling hills, picturesque farms and one small town after another. Elkhart Lake is cute, and the Osthoff is pretty, large and rambling, with beautiful views of the lake. My room had a gas fireplace which was cozy, and a VERY comfortable bed. Room Service was quick and the food was good. On the downside, the fitness room was small with no view to the outside, the jacuzzi in the swim area was not sufficiently hot and the indoor pool was small. I had high hopes for the Aspira Spa but was ultimately disappointed. I sat in the Zen-like meditation room to wait for my spa services and was able to hear every word as the front desk people carried on spa business in their normal voices. The jacuzzi at the spa was a little hotter than the one at the hotel's indoor pool area, but the jets on this one did not work. The "signature" sacred waters massage was performed in a perfunctory manner and interrupted repeatedly by a loud screeching noise as the therapist dragged her stool across the slate floor from one side of the massage table to the other. So much for dozing off. The signature pedicure billed to last 50 minutes lasted for only 40 minutes, and other than the $70 price tag was nothing special. P.S. The massage function on the pedicure chair did not work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GoldenRule3, General Manager at Osthoff Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Sepelg,

As General Manager, I'm always very appreciative of specific feedback. I am sorry to hear that the whirlpool water temperature was not as hot as you would have liked. While there is a set temperature for the indoor whirlpool, it had been recently refilled and I am sorry you experienced it while the temperature was still on the rise. We certainly agree on the Meditation Sanctuary feedback; we are actually in the process of installing glass doors to provide a more tranquil experience in this space, as was intended in the design---hopefully before the end of the month. Please know that the spa whirlpool is set for relaxing "gentle jets" and is not as vigorous as the whirlpool in the main pool area. The noise your reported during your spa service is simply not acceptable, and I am sorry it diminished your enjoyment of the massage. I addressed this issue with the spa staff the minute your review was posted. Our goal for all of our guests is that they leave feeling relaxed and refreshed, and we fell short on that for you. I so wish we had known of your disappointments while you were on property, as we would have responded immediately. It is my sincere wish that you will give us another try. We are pleased to know that you loved the lake view, the comfortable bed and the food--those amenities surely played a part in achieving our 2013 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. Thank you, again, for your candid remarks. It would be our pleasure to have you return for a memorable and enjoyable Osthoff experience.

Best,
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband had a conference to attend, so I got to take advantage of the resort and Elkhart Lake. The room was amazing with comfortable beds/furniture and the view was breathtaking. All of the resort staff was very nice and helpful. There is also a gym, indoor pool, arcade, gift shop and other things to occupy your time in the resort if you have the opportunity. The spa is highly recommended, but not the restaurants.

Since we came in late October, the downtown was dead. I took a walk around town and was a little disappointed that nothing was open. However, it's nice to miss the summer crowd that I imagine this place has.

We will be back this time next year!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This resort is very impressive from the outside, and in the lobby. But for the prices they charge, they should pay more attention to the condition of the rooms, and the competency of their housekeeping personnel.

We were able to check-in early, which was greatly appreciated, but our room wasn't very impressive. There were spider webs in most of the corners, tables hadn't been dusted in weeks, and there were two glaring things that shocked me. I opened the refrigerator, and was shocked at what I saw. Someone had spilled root beer (or some dark cola) all over the inside of the fridge, and it looks like it had been there a long time. Many of the other beverages were knocked over--it looked like someone had a wild party there & it hadn't been cleaned up (see pictures). Also, near the stair steps inside our unit, there was a huge hole in the wall, which made me wonder how many rodents had been in the unit.

I took pictures with my iPod to show the front desk, and they were shocked. They did the right thing by taking a bit of money off of our room, but I would have rather had the room be taken care of before we arrived.

The other thing that was disappointing was that there were several people waiting, with me, to shop in the gift shop the following morning. About 15 minutes after it was supposed to open, I asked the front desk if we could shop. Something was muttered about "She didn't show up again..." or something like that. The manager opened the shop, and we all hunted around, trying to help him find the light switches. We couldn't find some of them and had to use our phones as flashlights to see where we were going. If this has happened before, shouldn't someone (especially the manager) know how to run the shop? Very odd.

We ate in the restaurant, and the breakfast was okay, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it.

It's too bad--this place was gorgeous at one time, and could be again if someone cared enough to take care of the property. The outside of the place is stunning. Too bad that the inside doesn't match the outside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear SAS13,

I was surprised and saddened to read the housekeeping report you posted, as this is not our standard and we simply do not receive reports like this, so thank you for bringing your observations to our attention. In my 15 years as General Manager, thi is only the third time i've heard of a soda can gone awry, but housekeeping knows to check for anything that is out of place or amiss. We have repaired the carpeting flaw you mentioned straight away--it was an oversight by the installers when new carpeting was installed a few months ago, and we, frankly, missed it ourselves--our apologies for the oversight. We are nearly always in an "update" mode at our property to make certain that the accommodations and the ensuing experience live up to our guest expectations--you may have noticed the new marble floors and surrounds in the bath area, new granite countertops throughout and the new plumbing, and there are more improvements to come. Regarding the late opening of the gift shop, I investigated and the team knows that promptness is a prioirty as it always has been. Our aim is to offer a gorgeous property, inside and out, and a relaxing and memorable guest experience in keeping with the Readers' Choice awards we've received from Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler magazines and our AAA Four Diamond rating for the past 15 years. We want to thank you for your specific feedback, as we will use it constructively to improve our guest experience.

Best,
New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did a one night getaway for our anniversary for a change of pace from our normal Wisconsin Dells retreats. We were not disappointed. We booked one of the lower end rooms facing their pond and even caught a great glimpse of the lake. Definitely stay in one of the newer towers. The whirlpool was big enough for two, the bed was huge and unbelievably comfortable, and the patio was ideal. We experienced a full body couples’ massage at Aspira Spa and were amazed. We’ve had the treatment at a similar resort and thought it can’t get much better but thankfully we were wrong! Incredible. The locker room shower (and everything in the resort) has top of the line Kohler water fixtures and I loved turning on 6 spouts to massage and cleanse. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home.
Regarding the food in the resort, eat somewhere else. We tried both restaurants and they were atrocious. Lola’s was overpriced and terrible. Otto’s lacked flavor.
Thankfully, this wasn’t an important part of the experience. We’ll be going again, hopefully more in season so we can enjoy the lake a stone’s throw away.

Room Tip: North building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!