“Nothing to Write Home About” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
A Night On Us!
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Elkhart Lake
Chicago, Illinois
“Nothing to Write Home About”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

On the plus side, this is a beautiful location - Wisconsin countryside at its best with rolling hills, picturesque farms and one small town after another. Elkhart Lake is cute, and the Osthoff is pretty, large and rambling, with beautiful views of the lake. My room had a gas fireplace which was cozy, and a VERY comfortable bed. Room Service was quick and the food was good. On the downside, the fitness room was small with no view to the outside, the jacuzzi in the swim area was not sufficiently hot and the indoor pool was small. I had high hopes for the Aspira Spa but was ultimately disappointed. I sat in the Zen-like meditation room to wait for my spa services and was able to hear every word as the front desk people carried on spa business in their normal voices. The jacuzzi at the spa was a little hotter than the one at the hotel's indoor pool area, but the jets on this one did not work. The "signature" sacred waters massage was performed in a perfunctory manner and interrupted repeatedly by a loud screeching noise as the therapist dragged her stool across the slate floor from one side of the massage table to the other. So much for dozing off. The signature pedicure billed to last 50 minutes lasted for only 40 minutes, and other than the $70 price tag was nothing special. P.S. The massage function on the pedicure chair did not work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
GoldenRule3, General Manager at Osthoff Resort, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Sepelg,

As General Manager, I'm always very appreciative of specific feedback. I am sorry to hear that the whirlpool water temperature was not as hot as you would have liked. While there is a set temperature for the indoor whirlpool, it had been recently refilled and I am sorry you experienced it while the temperature was still on the rise. We certainly agree on the Meditation Sanctuary feedback; we are actually in the process of installing glass doors to provide a more tranquil experience in this space, as was intended in the design---hopefully before the end of the month. Please know that the spa whirlpool is set for relaxing "gentle jets" and is not as vigorous as the whirlpool in the main pool area. The noise your reported during your spa service is simply not acceptable, and I am sorry it diminished your enjoyment of the massage. I addressed this issue with the spa staff the minute your review was posted. Our goal for all of our guests is that they leave feeling relaxed and refreshed, and we fell short on that for you. I so wish we had known of your disappointments while you were on property, as we would have responded immediately. It is my sincere wish that you will give us another try. We are pleased to know that you loved the lake view, the comfortable bed and the food--those amenities surely played a part in achieving our 2013 Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor. Thank you, again, for your candid remarks. It would be our pleasure to have you return for a memorable and enjoyable Osthoff experience.

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband had a conference to attend, so I got to take advantage of the resort and Elkhart Lake. The room was amazing with comfortable beds/furniture and the view was breathtaking. All of the resort staff was very nice and helpful. There is also a gym, indoor pool, arcade, gift shop and other things to occupy your time in the resort if you have the opportunity. The spa is highly recommended, but not the restaurants.

Since we came in late October, the downtown was dead. I took a walk around town and was a little disappointed that nothing was open. However, it's nice to miss the summer crowd that I imagine this place has.

We will be back this time next year!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This resort is very impressive from the outside, and in the lobby. But for the prices they charge, they should pay more attention to the condition of the rooms, and the competency of their housekeeping personnel.

We were able to check-in early, which was greatly appreciated, but our room wasn't very impressive. There were spider webs in most of the corners, tables hadn't been dusted in weeks, and there were two glaring things that shocked me. I opened the refrigerator, and was shocked at what I saw. Someone had spilled root beer (or some dark cola) all over the inside of the fridge, and it looks like it had been there a long time. Many of the other beverages were knocked over--it looked like someone had a wild party there & it hadn't been cleaned up (see pictures). Also, near the stair steps inside our unit, there was a huge hole in the wall, which made me wonder how many rodents had been in the unit.

I took pictures with my iPod to show the front desk, and they were shocked. They did the right thing by taking a bit of money off of our room, but I would have rather had the room be taken care of before we arrived.

The other thing that was disappointing was that there were several people waiting, with me, to shop in the gift shop the following morning. About 15 minutes after it was supposed to open, I asked the front desk if we could shop. Something was muttered about "She didn't show up again..." or something like that. The manager opened the shop, and we all hunted around, trying to help him find the light switches. We couldn't find some of them and had to use our phones as flashlights to see where we were going. If this has happened before, shouldn't someone (especially the manager) know how to run the shop? Very odd.

We ate in the restaurant, and the breakfast was okay, but not great. I wouldn't recommend it.

It's too bad--this place was gorgeous at one time, and could be again if someone cared enough to take care of the property. The outside of the place is stunning. Too bad that the inside doesn't match the outside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear SAS13,

I was surprised and saddened to read the housekeeping report you posted, as this is not our standard and we simply do not receive reports like this, so thank you for bringing your observations to our attention. In my 15 years as General Manager, thi is only the third time i've heard of a soda can gone awry, but housekeeping knows to check for anything that is out of place or amiss. We have repaired the carpeting flaw you mentioned straight away--it was an oversight by the installers when new carpeting was installed a few months ago, and we, frankly, missed it ourselves--our apologies for the oversight. We are nearly always in an "update" mode at our property to make certain that the accommodations and the ensuing experience live up to our guest expectations--you may have noticed the new marble floors and surrounds in the bath area, new granite countertops throughout and the new plumbing, and there are more improvements to come. Regarding the late opening of the gift shop, I investigated and the team knows that promptness is a prioirty as it always has been. Our aim is to offer a gorgeous property, inside and out, and a relaxing and memorable guest experience in keeping with the Readers' Choice awards we've received from Travel + Leisure and Conde Nast Traveler magazines and our AAA Four Diamond rating for the past 15 years. We want to thank you for your specific feedback, as we will use it constructively to improve our guest experience.

New Berlin, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We did a one night getaway for our anniversary for a change of pace from our normal Wisconsin Dells retreats. We were not disappointed. We booked one of the lower end rooms facing their pond and even caught a great glimpse of the lake. Definitely stay in one of the newer towers. The whirlpool was big enough for two, the bed was huge and unbelievably comfortable, and the patio was ideal. We experienced a full body couples’ massage at Aspira Spa and were amazed. We’ve had the treatment at a similar resort and thought it can’t get much better but thankfully we were wrong! Incredible. The locker room shower (and everything in the resort) has top of the line Kohler water fixtures and I loved turning on 6 spouts to massage and cleanse. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home.
Regarding the food in the resort, eat somewhere else. We tried both restaurants and they were atrocious. Lola’s was overpriced and terrible. Otto’s lacked flavor.
Thankfully, this wasn’t an important part of the experience. We’ll be going again, hopefully more in season so we can enjoy the lake a stone’s throw away.

Room Tip: North building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Lack of communication among various sections of the resort.... My husband and I checked in for a one night stay as part of a "couples getaway" package. It was all paid for via phone prior to our arrival. Our room was nice, but outdated. Honestly the feeling I got from the resort was that it was more of a family friendly destination rather than a romantic resort for younger patrons (similar to katiec79's review actually). However we luckily didn't have the experience of screaming kids running around. Our stay was more like the shining with seemingly 3 or fewer other guests on the premises.

Anyway, there was confusion about the pre-paid spa package after our massage. We spent 20 minutes after our massage hashing out the details of the credits which really kills the relaxation vibe. Spa could use some updating/cleaning and my therapist ignored the one request I made to not have my face massaged.

There was more confusion about the dining credit at the restaurant, etc. For interconnected establishments it seems like WE had to explain to THEM what their package offered. It was frustrating to say the least.

The food and service at Lola's were good and my husband enjoyed his lamb chops. My chicken was good and the desserts were delicious.

Overall there was nothing horrible about our stay, I just deem it underwhelming because we've stayed many places in Chicago for the same amount of money that were much nicer. This definitely feels like a 1995 establishment. Meh.

Room Tip: I wouldn't return, but we had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the grounds. We could hear pe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TR794,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion with your package details. It should have been a seamless payment process so that every minute of your stay could have been spent relaxing rather than fretting over paperwork. This is not our standard and we certainly can do better on that. While the Osthoff is a family friendly resort, paticularly during the summer season, we are also a couples' destination. Couples tell us they particularly enjoy their precious time together at The Osthoff--whether it's a romantic dinner in Lola's, a couple's massage at Aspira or just ceebrating with a drink together in the Elk Room. Fall and Winter are lovely times for a couples' getaway here and we would be pleased to welcome you back.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

From the time you enter the property and throughout your entire stay you will be extremely impressed and leave relaxed, knowing you have had a little escape [even if it is work related]. Do not hesitate to stay here and experience this Resort!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here at Osthoff Resort. I missed the opportunity to go sailing because it is a seasonal event. I try to keep the time frame in mind when I come to visit again. Wow!, a lot of history here with this Resort. Splendid!!! and Thoroughly Righteous...I left The Osthoff feeling as though, I can break out in a Song.. "dooby dooby doo doo doo ahh" LORD MARCUS!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!