“Great Camping” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Door County Camping Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Door County Camping Retreat
4906 Court Rd ., Egg Harbor, WI 54209   |
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Great Camping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We found this campground to be one of the best in Door County. Its a quite and clean campground with "respecting" the quiet time and providing a great service. We camped here the past two years, and both times were awesome memories. We plan on continuing on this year in August 2011. To those who talk negative about this camp ground, shame-on-you...

I highly recommend this campground, it will not disappoint you...

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Not sure where the negetive comments are coming from in some of the other posts, but we've stayed here two other times and will be returning for the coming weekend. The staff has always been quite friendly to us and the campground has a rather unique layout with the sites nicely separated with all things working as they should. Like I said, we've only stayed there twice, but I've experienced nothing that would keep me away from another visit. In fact, I quite look forward to going there.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We have been going to this quiet, quaint campground for about 2 to 3 years. I've never, ever had trouble with unfriendly service from the staff, and was shocked when I saw the bad reviews! I've been camping there in a camper and, just recently, a cabin. My dear old grandparents wanted some quality time with their granddaughters. Even though we're a bit older, we still had a great time.

On the cabins...
My grandparents rented the biggest cabin possible, and it was VERY nice. I was a bit speculative when I heard the cabin came with its own dishes. But there were glass cups, nice mugs, sturdy plates, and every cooking spatula, whisk, and ladle you will need. It came with many appliances, my favorite being a 12 cup coffee pot. It was very clean and well thought out. The stove had a lighter, there was a broom and dustpan, the bathroom had a mat on the floor, there was dish soap next to the sink. My grandparents especially loved it because, being a bit on the older side, it had everything. They didn't need to worry about walking to a bathroom to shower or relieve themselves, bringing dishes, or about ice for a cooler.

My only 2 suggestions would be to bring an air mattress if you plan on sleeping in the loft (the floor it hard...) and be prepared for a pool on the chilly side. Even though it says it's heated. :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hudson, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

This was our third year staying at Door County Camping Retreat and not our last. We have stayed two years in Cabin #52 and this year stayed in Cabin #51. At first we were surprised at how small the cabin was having only a queen size bed, night table, two chairs and small dining table and mini fridge, but after the first night liked it more than the larger cabin. It was just my husband and I and our lab. Cozy, warm, quiet. Wasn't thrilled with the fire pit in the front of the cabin having been use to it being in back at #52 but also got used it after night two. We brought our own oil heater in addition to the small fan heater that comes with the cabin. 2009 in #52, which is two rooms, was freezing cold and we could not stay warm enough with just the tiny fan heater. It is all weather dependent and outside control of the campground. Check the forecast and plan accordingly. The bathroom/shower facility is IMMACULATE! Best I have ever experienced. The campground is quiet in October and convenient to all small towns and festivals. The drives are always lovely that time of year. The campground staff in some reviews sound a little gruff but understandable when dealing with different folks year after year. Maybe just having an "off" day. They were very pleasant to us. Of course it was the last day they were open for the season too and could explain their joy of being done for a while ;-)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I feel compelled to write a review of the Door County Camping Retreat, as I nearly cancelled my reservation due to the poor experiences of others reported on this site.

However, due to the fact I couldn't get a reservation elsewhere, we decided to stick it out. And I'm glad we did!

We went to the retreat 7/30-8/1 and stayed 3 nights in a rustic cabin.

The lady who checked us in was delightful. Very nice and explained the rules well. There was a second lady checking folks in that was a little gruff when speaking to another guest, but I didn't experience anything like that.

We rented rustic cabin #50. It was very quaint and just off the main roadway. I appreciated the 5 mph speed limit, as the road was literally right outside our cabin window. We rarely heard a car go by, even with the windows open!

The cabin had a queen size bed with a plastic cover, a mini fridge, table with 2 chairs and a nighttable with lamp. There was a ceiling fan over the bed. That's it! Just perfect for 2. I wouldn't try to fit a child in there though ... that would be very tight. No room for a crib at all.

Outside the cabin was a water spigot, plus a table and 2 chairs on the porch.

I did hear the man I presume was the owner shout to a fast-moving car to slow down on my day of arrival. This driver was obviously going well over 5 mph. I saw the golf cart patrol a few times that first day, but never again unless they were heading to clean the showerhouse.

The main showerhouse had just been remodeled in 2010. It was VERY clean! I was impressed, having camped at many other places with nasty showerhouses.

There was a laundry facility attached to the showerhouse I did not use, but peeked in and it looked very clean as well.

The store area had a large picnic area attached where they were showing a cartoon movie on a wall like a big screen theatre one night. There was a nice-sized swimming pool and a large playground area with what looked like a Rainbow play system. There was also a sand volleyball court.

The location is great, being right in the heart of Door County, about 2 miles off Highway 42.
I had an extremely positive experience here and would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to my friends.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I felt compelled to write a review as we've had two nice experiences here in 2010. We have NOT encountered the golf police (or the owner) but rather a kind enforcement of rules. This place is BEAUTIFUL. We signed up as a seasonal renter because a friend of ours camps here. It is clean, peaceful, and people are kind, courteous and friendly. As for the owner, we have never met him. Wade is the new supervisor and he is a really nice man. He explains the rules so you understand them. These are humble quiet folk. The store doesn't have too much to offer(moms of young kids - no milk the two times I've been in there) so buy what you need before coming. If you do not like to follow rules - don't come here. I appreciate having 5 MPH speed limits enforced, as I don't want my children hit as they walk along the stone path. You cannot take dogs in there without cleaning up after them - I personally don't like poop where I or my children are walking so I appreciate the monitoring of the site. I also don't like dogs wandering having small children, so I appreciate having them on leashes. As for the wood, they explain on a sheet that there is ash bore beetle is a BIG problem that they do not want affecting the trees - I also would not want my entire campsite's success at risk of people bringing this problem into my investment, hence the premium. I saw MANY campfires, people are really camping! :)

We really enjoyed it, and I'll keep you posted if we end up with a different story.

xoxo

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

They do not tell the truth, I called prior to going asking question because of this site. They said they would work with me. They did not. This is what happened. What others said on this site does happen!!! The staff are rude I believe they are trained that way. I called about having two tents one larger and one smaller said no problem was a probelm when we got there! Asked about cars if we had two smaller and because of others coming up later could the be on the site togher if they fit they said ok if they did not their was a spot. We we got their we got we had a man one night giving us a hard time then they sent the woman the next day very rude said to get the car moved and the tent was not to be there told me they did say that. I know what I heard or we would not have camped their.. they do not stand behind what they say...................they go around on their carts a lot!!! watching you to make sure you are not out of line.... we are quite campers.. we are not trouble makers could not believe the experince we are older never will we return. Do not drive over the 5 miles, do not laugh loud and make sure your fire is out at midnight! Watch your animals and your kids! Not family friendly from what I could see! They are scary people!!! I would not wish them on any one. I is suppose to be fun it became a joke!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Door County Camping Retreat? Share your experiences!