“Character” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Resort & Golf

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
You added Alpine Resort & Golf to your Saves list
7715 Alpine Rd, P.O. Box 200, Egg Harbor, WI 54209   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
Grayslake, Illinois
“Character”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The story behind the resort and the lobby area has some character, but basically I felt like I was camping....I was appauled that they would charge $130 a night for a room and bathroom so small and out dated. Thet were able to update the lobby women's restroom quite a bit, but why not spend some of that updating the rooms...I will NEVER stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont choose a room here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bloomingdale, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We rented a cottage and I would describe the decor as "early Goodwill". Our cottage had a double bed and 3 single beds, yet only a love seat for seating. The carpet which I think has been around since the 70's was the color of a Hershey's Chocolate Bar and the bedding and couch were blue (not a good combo). My husband and I joked that the dust mites in the bed had probably been building since the place opened. The resort offers free bikes. When we went to use the free bikes we found a bunch of thrift store rejects. I can deal with an old bike, but these were in awful shape with rusted chains and gears. There was not one mountain bike and my son was not thrilled with the thought of riding a purple or pink bike. The resort also has ping pong tables (2 total for the whole resort) and the paddles (chipped and not rubber pad to hit the ball) have not been replaced since the place opened in the 1920s. I ask you how expensive are ping pong paddles. We decided to play the free shuffle board. The disks were all chipped and the sticks to push the disks were broken on the end to push the disk. Again how expensive would it be to replace the sticks and discs? The free row boat was also in bad shape. Each time we rowed the oars lost a chunk of wood on a screw that was sticking up on a poorly maintained boat. The dining room was okay and the food was average. The location is beautiful and right on the water, but the lodge is just be left to fall into further disrepair. The tv was old an offered about 7 stations and the picture was fuzzy. No wifi except in the lodge.The lodge did offer a good jazz band for entertainment in the evening. Maid service was just okay. The toilet had a poo splatter inside the bowl that was with us for the entire visit so that tells you the depth of the cleaning. This place has loads of potential, but the owners just do not care. The beach was nice but not a single chair or umbrella was offered for the resort. The public beach next door had chairs. Fishing polls that were offered could not be cast they were just drop in the water models. Our feeling is the owners are just waiting to retire and don't want to sink a single penny in to making this place a decent. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Palatine, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My family decided to lake a last minute, last hurrah of the summer, to Door County. After searching on the internet we came accross Alpine "Resort" which was one of the few places that stlll had vacancies. Now I know why. This so-called resort is an absolute joke. Old, dark, dingy, dank and depressing are words that come to mind when I think of how to describe this place. Rooms are small with even smaller bathrooms. I have seen better showers at campsites. The water was either scalding hot or freezing cold; I was afraid to have my kids take showers here. The "dining room" or whatever they call it, was terrible; overpriced and the food was mediocre at best. And beware, you will be nickle and dimed to death here. We are a family of 5 and were charged over $50 extra for two nights for 3 additional people. We requested a cot(for $5 per night) that was stained and didn't come with any bed sheets except for a small, old wrinkled pink bedspread with holes. I complained and had to wait 30 minutes for a new cot. Coffee in the am was offered for $1 with .50 refills in tiny white styrofoam cups. The common areas were poorly lit, musty smelling, and desolate. Absolutely no securtiy... anyone could walk in at any time, at any hour, and no one would stop them. None of the doors are locked at night and you don't need any key to get in so anyone off the street can come and there are many ways to get in - nothing locked.

Management/owners clearly don't care about their guests or their "resort" When I brought my concerns to their attention, they merely said, "I'm sorry you feel that way." They are probably so used to hearing complaints that they are just immune to it. I could go on and on but I am getting angy again just writing this review. And in reading the other reviews, I am not alone. I can only assume the positive reviews came from within to try to off set all the negative ones. Bottom line....DO NOT STAY HERE. It will ruin your vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My fiance and I arrived at this resort with high hopes for a wonderful weekend in a traditional, waterfront resort. We left this resort knowing you could throw a dart at a phone book of Egg Harbor hotels and any one that you hit (or miss) would be better than the Alpine. Although this "resort" is set on a beautiful piece of Door County land, it is clearly being squandered by irresponsible resort owners and management. The rooms were old, poorly kept, and dingy and the same can be said about the grounds of this facility. The food at the restaurant was alright, but overpriced for the quality and quantity we received. I wish we could have had a better experience at this resort and that my review could be more positive, but I can honestly say this was the most negative experience I have ever had at a lodging establishment. We will never again even consider going to the Alpine and I hope this review will save you the trouble.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Grafton, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This was our first time here, July 2012. The place is very very old and dingy. Our room was very very small and the bed sagged. The shower you could barely turn in. The bathroom had only a sink with no counter space, hard to get ready. We had lake views. One window, and if you sat on the edge of the bed to look at the view your knees hit the radiator. The room was soooo small when we lie in bed you could open the room door. The bed kreaked and the mattress sank. To open the dresser you had to sit on the bed because there was no room. We didn't eat there, toooo expensive and I believe everyone else felt the same because the dining usually only had 4-5 tables. We will never return and advise anyone thinking of going not to. There are sooo many great places to stay and they cost the same. We usually stay somewhere else which we love but thought we would try something new. We will not do that again. Think twice before you pick this old place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ladd, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Alpine for our son and daughter's wedding and found it to be GREAT! Not just because of the event! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The expectations for a wedding were high and everyone of the staff made this a wonderful experience for the Bride, Groom and all of their guests. The facility, food and service were superb!

Now for the accommodations. We stayed in a home off the downtown area and not on the resort property. It was owned and managed by the resort and was very nice! It's a lake resort and homes. It's rustic...probably built in the '50's. Extremely clean and well maintained. It's not a hotel...it's a lake house and resort. Coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator and everything we needed.

Thank you all!

Room Tip: This area is a very popular tourist spot. Traffic can get congested in town. Walking or bike ridi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Where do I start... I Wish I would've done more research on this resort before I booked a room. Pictures would be nice on their website. Learned a lesson to ask to see the room before paying the remaining balance. It's a nice place if you are looking for a quiet, older, antique setting. It just wasn't for us for the price we paid. The bed was old and not very comfortable. Felt like a box spring. We didn't shower because the small shower was covered in mold. We pd for 2 nights. When we came home from a night out the first night, it was pitch black, no security in sight, and all doors were unlocked. We didn't like being there and checked out early because we couldn't stand another night there.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!